How Is Vacuum Energy Calculated for a Scalar Field?

In summary, the calculation for estimating the vacuum energy of a scalar field involves using the Hamiltonian operator and the ground state of the system. The result is obtained by applying the operator to the ground state and using the commutation relations for the creation and annihilation operators. This gives us the expression for the vacuum energy, which can be further simplified by putting a \omega_{max}. The k and \omega terms in the integration represent the momentum and energy of the scalar field, respectively, and are not components of the four vector k^\mu=(\omega,\vec{k}) because only the spatial components are considered.
tunafish
Hi guys!
I searchead a lot for this but i couldn't find in anywhere: what calculation is made to esimate the vacuum energy of a scalar field??

I red that it starts considering the Hamiltonian in the form
[tex]
\hat H=\frac{1}{2}\int d^{n-1}k[\hat n_k+\frac{1}{2}\delta^{n-1}(0)]\omega
[/tex]
and then letting it act on a ground state, such that [itex]\hat n_k |0\rangle=0|0\rangle[/itex]
and so
[tex]
\hat H|0\rangle=\frac{1}{4}\int d^{n-1}k\delta^{n-1}(0)\omega=\frac{1}{4}\sum_k\omega
[/tex]
and putting a [itex]\omega_{max}[/itex] should get the result.

Now i as 2 things:
1) what precisely are the [itex]k,\omega[/itex] termu in the integration? I mean, they doesen't seem to be component of the four vector [itex]k^\mu=(\omega,\vec{k})[/itex]!

2) explicitly, how does the result is obtained?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there!

The calculation for estimating the vacuum energy of a scalar field involves using the Hamiltonian operator and the ground state of the system. The Hamiltonian operator is used to calculate the energy of the system and the ground state is the lowest energy state of the system. The process is as follows:

1. Start with the Hamiltonian operator, which is given by:
\hat H=\frac{1}{2}\int d^{n-1}k[\hat n_k+\frac{1}{2}\delta^{n-1}(0)]\omega

2. Apply the operator to the ground state, which is denoted by |0\rangle. This will give us the energy of the ground state, which is the vacuum energy.

3. To calculate the energy, we use the commutation relations for the creation and annihilation operators, which are given by: [\hat a_k,\hat a^\dagger_k]=\delta^{n-1}(0). This gives us the result:

\hat H|0\rangle=\frac{1}{4}\int d^{n-1}k\delta^{n-1}(0)\omega=\frac{1}{4}\sum_k\omega

4. Finally, we can put a \omega_{max} to get the final result for the vacuum energy.

To answer your questions:

1. The k and \omega terms in the integration represent the momentum and energy of the scalar field, respectively. They are not components of the four vector k^\mu=(\omega,\vec{k}) because we are only considering the spatial components in this calculation.

2. The result is obtained by applying the Hamiltonian operator to the ground state and using the commutation relations for the creation and annihilation operators. This gives us the expression for the vacuum energy, which can be further simplified by putting a \omega_{max}.

I hope this helps clarify the calculation for estimating the vacuum energy of a scalar field. Let me know if you have any other questions!

What is vacuum energy calculation?

Vacuum energy calculation is a theoretical concept in quantum field theory that attempts to calculate the energy of empty space. It is based on the idea that even in a vacuum, empty space is not truly empty but instead contains fluctuating electromagnetic fields and virtual particles.

Why is vacuum energy calculation important?

Vacuum energy calculation is important because it helps us understand the fundamental nature of empty space and its role in the universe. It also has implications for theories such as the cosmological constant and the Higgs mechanism.

How is vacuum energy calculated?

Vacuum energy is calculated using a mathematical formula called the vacuum expectation value, which takes into account the average energy of all possible energy states in a vacuum. This calculation is complex and involves advanced mathematical techniques such as renormalization.

What are some potential applications of vacuum energy calculation?

One potential application of vacuum energy calculation is in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computing, that rely on understanding and manipulating quantum systems. It also has implications for theories of gravity and the search for a unified theory of physics.

What are the challenges in vacuum energy calculation?

The main challenge in vacuum energy calculation is the difficulty of reconciling quantum field theory with general relativity. The two theories have different approaches to understanding the nature of space and time, making it difficult to combine them in a comprehensive way. Additionally, vacuum energy calculation is a highly theoretical concept and has not yet been directly observed or measured, making it difficult to verify its accuracy.