Validity of Tensor Expressions in (a)-(d)

• Thread starter Ibix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tensor
In summary, the conversation discusses the validity of tensor expressions and how the zero on the right hand side of equation (b) could be interpreted as either a zero vector or a zero scalar. The speaker leans towards the interpretation of the zero as a vector, specifically the ##\alpha## component of the zero vector.
Ibix
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Another trivial question from me.

Homework Statement

Which (if any) of the following are valid tensor expressions:
(a)[itex]A^\alpha+B_\alpha[/itex]
(b)[itex]R^\alpha{}_\beta A^\beta+B^\alpha=0[/itex]
(c)[itex]R_{\alpha\beta}=T_\gamma[/itex]
(d)[itex]A_{\alpha\beta}=B_{\beta\alpha}[/itex]

Homework Equations

Nothing relevant - these are generic tensors.

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) and (c) are not valid because the indices don't match up. (d) is valid - in matrix notation, A=BT.

I'm not sure about (b), though. The left hand side is valid; summing over the dummy index makes it a sum of two vectors. I'm not quite sure how to interpret the equality, though. I can see it as a vector equaling a scalar - which is not valid. Alternatively, I can read an implicit [itex]\forall \alpha[/itex] - in other words, that each element of the vector on the left hand side is identically zero.

I lean towards the first interpretation - but I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
For an equation like (b), the zero on the right would normally be interpreted as the zero vector (rather than the zero scalar); or more precisely, it would be the ##\alpha## component of the zero vector (which would of course have a value of 0 in any coordinate system and any reference frame). So, I think your second interpretation is better.

Likes 1 person
Thank you very much.

This is self-study. When I downloaded the problem sheet the answers were available - now term has started and they've gone... Shouldn't have been conscientious.

Related to Validity of Tensor Expressions in (a)-(d)

1. What is the meaning of validity in tensor expressions?

In mathematics and physics, validity refers to the extent to which a statement, equation, or expression accurately represents the real world or a given problem. In tensor expressions (a)-(d), validity describes the accuracy and applicability of the expressions in solving problems related to tensors.

2. How do tensor expressions in (a)-(d) differ from other forms of tensor notation?

Tensor expressions in (a)-(d) are typically written in a form that is more compact and easily translatable to computer code. They also often involve indices, which represent the different dimensions of a tensor, rather than explicitly listing out all the components of the tensor.

3. Are tensor expressions in (a)-(d) commonly used in scientific research?

Yes, tensor expressions in (a)-(d) are commonly used in scientific research, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They are useful for describing and manipulating higher-dimensional data and systems, and can be applied to a wide range of problems.

4. Can tensor expressions in (a)-(d) be used for both continuous and discrete data?

Yes, tensor expressions in (a)-(d) can be used for both continuous and discrete data. They are a general mathematical framework that can be applied to various types of data, as long as the data can be represented as tensors.

5. How can one ensure the validity of tensor expressions in (a)-(d) in their calculations?

One can ensure the validity of tensor expressions in (a)-(d) by carefully defining the tensors and their indices, and by using correct tensor operations and transformations. It is also important to keep track of the dimensions and symmetries of the tensors in order to avoid errors in calculations.