Van der Pauw sample preparation errors

In summary, the conversation discusses issues with electrical resistivity tests using the Van der Pauw method on a round sample of doped ceramic. The main problem seems to be a poor mechanical connection between the wires and the sample, possibly due to oxide build-up or dirt. Solutions suggested include increasing contact pressure and using a higher test voltage. The conversation also mentions using conducting silver, gold, or platinum paste for more reliable contacts.
Metallus
Hello,
I'm carrying out electrical resistivity tests with the Van der Pauw method on a round sample (2 mm thick disk) of a doped ceramic but sometimes I have issues in the mounting of the sample.

I'm using a 4-probe tube where each of the 4 wires contacts with the "corners" of the sample. To keep everything together, the sample is mounted on a sample holder made of insulation material that keeps the wire in contact with it. Here's a pic of the set-up, profile view and top view
Gg6z5eX.png

Sometimes when I attempt to pass current in any of the 8 configurations (reciprocal measurements and polarity inversion measurements), I get infinite resistivity. Is it due to the wires not being perfectly in contact with the sample? Why does it work in some configuration but give infinite resistivity in the other? And why sometimes the signal remains 0? Does it mean that it's short circuiting somewhere (as if the wires were touching)?

What am I doing wrong exactly? I made it work before, so I guess I'm just screwing up in the preparation of the sample somewhere, but I don't know where exactly, nor I know what could be the source of error. Let me know if you need additional details, as I am new to this technique.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sure sounds like a poor mechanical connection between the wires and the sample. Perhaps an oxide build-up breaking electrical contact or a piece of dirt in the contact area. The next time it happens, try moving one wire at a time to localize the problem. Increased contact pressure between the wires and sample is likely to help. A higher test voltage may break through a thin oxide layer. If you are using a constant current excitation, redesign or replace it with a higher compliance voltage (open circuit voltage). Make sure both the sample and the electrical connectors to it are freshly cleaned.

Please let us know what you find / how you solve the problem.

Likes Metallus
Tom.G said:
Sure sounds like a poor mechanical connection between the wires and the sample. Perhaps an oxide build-up breaking electrical contact or a piece of dirt in the contact area. The next time it happens, try moving one wire at a time to localize the problem. Increased contact pressure between the wires and sample is likely to help. A higher test voltage may break through a thin oxide layer. If you are using a constant current excitation, redesign or replace it with a higher compliance voltage (open circuit voltage). Make sure both the sample and the electrical connectors to it are freshly cleaned.

Please let us know what you find / how you solve the problem.
Yes, it was indeed a fault in the contact between the wire and the sample. One of the wire was loose (sliding easily in the hole of the sample holder and not properly contacting with the sample). I solved this issue by slightly bending the end of the wires inwards, so as to guarantee at least a contact on the edge
IgGtiVd.png

Thanks for your input

Likes Tom.G
Pure mechanical contacts between metallic wires and ceramic samples are often unreliable. I generally coat the areas of the sample which finally make the contacts with the wires with thin stripes of either conducting silver, gold or platinum paste, depending on the temperature and atmosphere used during the measurements.

1. What is a Van der Pauw sample preparation error?

A Van der Pauw sample preparation error is a type of error that can occur during the preparation of a sample for Van der Pauw measurements. These measurements are used to determine the electrical properties of a material, such as its resistivity and carrier concentration. Preparation errors can affect the accuracy and reliability of the measurements.

2. What are some common causes of Van der Pauw sample preparation errors?

Some common causes of Van der Pauw sample preparation errors include improper cleaning or drying of the sample, incorrect placement of contacts, and a non-uniform thickness of the sample. Other factors, such as contamination or damage to the sample, can also contribute to preparation errors.

3. How can Van der Pauw sample preparation errors be minimized or avoided?

To minimize or avoid Van der Pauw sample preparation errors, it is important to carefully follow the recommended sample preparation procedures. This includes properly cleaning and drying the sample, using the correct contact materials and placement, and ensuring a uniform sample thickness. It is also important to handle the sample with care to avoid contamination or damage.

4. What are some potential consequences of Van der Pauw sample preparation errors?

If Van der Pauw sample preparation errors are not addressed, they can lead to inaccurate or unreliable measurements. This can result in incorrect conclusions about the electrical properties of the material being studied. In some cases, it may be necessary to repeat the measurements with a properly prepared sample, which can waste time and resources.

5. Are there any techniques or tools that can help detect Van der Pauw sample preparation errors?

Yes, there are techniques and tools that can help detect Van der Pauw sample preparation errors. These include using specialized equipment to measure the sample's resistance and checking for any discrepancies, as well as visually inspecting the sample for any signs of contamination or damage. It is also helpful to have a thorough understanding of the expected results and to compare the measurements with previous data for consistency.