Vapour pressure vs saturation pressure; too much confusion

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between psychrometry, vapour pressure, and saturation pressure. The speaker has a clear understanding of saturation pressure and vapour pressure, but struggles to relate them to humidity. They seek clarification on how other gases can affect relative humidity, which is usually expressed as a percentage.
Ravi Singh choudhary
It was only the psychrometry came; I read about vapour pressure is equal to the saturation pressure at 100% relative humidity. While before even in the textbooks both terms are used frequently as same. I fully understood what saturation pressure is; learned during phase change phenomenon of water. Again I learned about vapour pressure defined in closed container and through physics forums I understood about non equilibrium phenomenon in open container. Somehow I am not able to relate humidity, vapour pressure and saturation pressure but I think I know them independently well. Please help me.

Engineering news on Phys.org
(Relative) humidity is usually expressed in percent and can only occur if there are other gases present in non-equilibrium cases. (i.e. equilibrium ##\equiv## 100 % humidity).
I don't know how to improve on the information in the link - please help the helper by specifying your question if you want to know more

BvU said:
(Relative) humidity is usually expressed in percent and can only occur if there are other gases present in non-equilibrium cases. (i.e. equilibrium ##\equiv## 100 % humidity).
I don't know how to improve on the information in the link - please help the helper by specifying your question if you want to know more
Relative humidity does not only apply to non-equilibrium situations; for example, it can also apply if there is no liquid present. The relative humidity is defined as the partial pressure divided by the equilibrium vapor pressure at the temperature of the gas mixture, times 100%.

Thanks Chet, I didn't think of that! Too much liquid around in the daily rain :smile:

1. What is the difference between vapour pressure and saturation pressure?

Vapour pressure is the pressure exerted by the vaporized form of a substance in a closed container at a given temperature. Saturation pressure is the maximum vapour pressure that a substance can have at a specific temperature and is dependent on the substance's chemical properties.

2. Why is there confusion between vapour pressure and saturation pressure?

The confusion between the two terms can arise because they are both related to the amount of vapor a substance can hold at a specific temperature. However, they are not interchangeable as they have different definitions and values.

3. How do vapour pressure and saturation pressure affect phase changes?

Vapour pressure and saturation pressure play a crucial role in phase changes, specifically in the process of evaporation and condensation. When a substance's vapour pressure reaches the saturation pressure, it will start to condense into its liquid form. On the other hand, if the vapour pressure is below the saturation pressure, the substance will remain in its gaseous form.

4. Can vapour pressure and saturation pressure be measured?

Yes, both vapour pressure and saturation pressure can be measured using various techniques such as the manometric method or the dynamic method. These methods involve applying different pressures to a substance and measuring the corresponding temperatures to determine the vapour pressure and saturation pressure.

5. How can understanding vapour pressure and saturation pressure be useful?

Understanding the concepts of vapour pressure and saturation pressure is crucial in various scientific fields, including chemistry, meteorology, and engineering. It helps in predicting and controlling the behavior of substances at different temperatures and pressures, which can be useful in applications such as chemical reactions, weather forecasting, and designing industrial processes.