How Does the Brightness and Temperature of l Carinae Change with Its Pulsations?

In summary, the Cepheid variable star l Carinae pulsates with a period of about 36 days, becoming about twice as bright and growing in radius by 25%. Using Wein's displacement law, the star's surface temperature is calculated to be 5100 K in its smaller state, and the wavelength at which it is brightest is 5.68*10^-7 m. In its swollen state, the star's surface temperature is approximately 5426.97 K at a wavelength of 5.68*10^-7 m.
d97

Homework Statement

The Cepheid variable star l Carinae pulsates with a period of about 36 days. During each pulsation, the star becomes about twice as bright and its radius grows by about 25%.
(a) In its smaller state, the star has a surface temperature of about 5100 K. Treating the star as a blackbody, use Wein’s displacement law to compute the wavelength at which l Carinae is brightest. [2 marks]
(b) If l Carinae swells by 25% and becomes twice as bright, what is its surface temperature in its swollen state? At what wavelength is it brightest in this state? [4 marks]

Homework Equations

λ=2.898*10^-3/T
T=(L/16πσa^2)^0.25

The Attempt at a Solution

For (a) I think I have got the correct solution from the first equation which was 5.68*10^-7 m. My main problem is (b) because I'm unsure on how to work out luminosity with the variables I have been given. Do you work out 'a' in the equation by saying that P^2=a^3?, I'm unsure.
Any help would be much appreciated thank you [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.

For (b) use your second relevant equation to set up the ratio of the final temperature to the initial temperature. Simplify before plugging in numbers.

Oh ok thank you I tried doing it that way and I got a temperature of 2.086*10^9 K, not sure if that is correct but it seems like its too big?

d97 said:
Oh ok thank you I tried doing it that way and I got a temperature of 2.086*10^9 K, not sure if that is correct but it seems like its too big?
Yes, that's too big. Can you show your calculation?

Yeah I wasn't sure how to do it your way, but I tried like this: T2/T1=(2L/32π^2*σ^2*1.25*a^4)^0.5, T1=5100K, L=3.417*10^17, a=26625, σ=5.67*10^-8

The reason for setting up a ratio is that all constants will cancel out. So, you have made a mistake in simplifying the ratio. Also, I don't understand how you got the power of 0.5 rather than 0.25.

For practice, what is the ratio of (a*b)0.25 and (a*c)0.25? Recall that ##\frac{x^b}{y^b} = \left( \frac{x}{y} \right)^b##

Oh ok would it be (a*b*/a*c)^0.25?

I re-calculated my temperature and I got 5507.4 K which seems more likely to be correct?

d97 said:
Oh ok would it be (a*b*/a*c)^0.25?
Yes, and note that you could simplify this by canceling the a.

d97 said:
I re-calculated my temperature and I got 5507.4 K which seems more likely to be correct?
I don't get this answer. What expression do you get for the ratio of the temperatures after you simplify by canceling whatever you can and before you plug in any numbers?

So what I got was T2/T2=(2L/a^4)^0.25 but I think I've canceled too many constants?

d97 said:
So what I got was T2/T2=(2L/a^4)^0.25 but I think I've canceled too many constants?
Sorry *T2/T1

d97 said:
This doesn't look right.

From T=(L/16πσa^2)^0.25, you have $$T_1 = \left( \frac{L_1}{16 \pi \sigma a_1^2} \right )^{0.25} $$ and $$T_2= \left( \frac{L_2}{16 \pi \sigma a_2^2} \right )^{0.25}$$ So, when you form the ratio ##\frac{T_2}{T_1}##, you should get something that involves ##L_1##, ##L_2##, ##a_1## and ##a_2##.

TSny said:
This doesn't look right.

From T=(L/16πσa^2)^0.25, you have $$T_1 = \left( \frac{L_1}{16 \pi \sigma a_1^2} \right )^{0.25} $$ and $$T_2= \left( \frac{L_2}{16 \pi \sigma a_2^2} \right )^{0.25}$$ So, when you form the ratio ##\frac{T_2}{T_1}##, you should get something that involves ##L_1##, ##L_2##, ##a_1## and ##a_2##.
Oh ok so I tried it again and I got (L2a1^2/L1a2^2)^0.25 and I got a temperature of 5426.97 K

That looks good.

TSny said:
That looks good.
Ok thank you for all your help

What is a variable star?

A variable star is a star whose brightness changes over time. These changes can be periodic or irregular and are caused by internal processes within the star.

What causes a star to vary in brightness?

The brightness of a variable star can be affected by a variety of factors such as changes in the star's surface temperature, pulsations, eclipses, or the presence of a companion star.

How are variable stars classified?

Variable stars are classified based on the pattern of their brightness variations. There are several different types of variable stars including pulsating, eclipsing, and eruptive variables.

What is the importance of studying variable stars?

Studying variable stars can provide valuable information about the physical properties and evolution of stars. They can also be used to measure distances in the universe and to search for exoplanets.

How do scientists observe and study variable stars?

Scientists use a variety of methods to observe and study variable stars, including telescopes, photometers, and spectroscopy. They also use computer models and simulations to understand the underlying processes causing the brightness variations.