Variable tension apparatus for transducer analysis

In summary, Thadman is interested in building a ribbon loudspeaker and would like to use the University's Laser Vibrometer and Anechoic chamber to measure the behavior of transducers. He is unsure how to acquire the necessary equipment, and would appreciate help from anyone who can provide guidance.
thadman
I'm interested in building a ribbon loudspeaker in my free time over Christmas break and would like to drive it directly. Following the resolution of some meetings with faculty in the engineering department, I might be able to gain access to the Universities Laser Vibrometer and Anechoic chamber for measurements (and comparison with the RAAL 140-15D).

I've conducted significant research within the AES E-Library as well as my Universities research library with regards to ribbon transducers. Only a few articles have been published, and of those, very little research regarding the behavior of the membrane was conducted.

Assuming I can get access to the Universities measurement equipment, I'd like to do testing on a variety of transducer alignments, specifically low and high compliance membranes.

Haphazardly clamping the membrane does not appear to possesses the rigor necessary for a scientific analysis of transducer behavior.

To achieve an accurate correlation between experimental and simulated results, it will be necessary to apply a very specific, measurable force at the ends of the membrane.

I'm not sure how/where to build/purchase/acquire access to such a specific machine...or even what to google. If any users could provide help with regards to the aforementioned topic, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks,
Thadman

Engineering news on Phys.org
I assume you're not applying just a constant force to the ends. If that was the case, I'd say just use calibrated scale weights. If you want to vary the force with time, how fast are the vibrations you want to create?

You could get any machine that pushes up and down on the membrane. Measure the force required to deflect the membrane. As the machine pushes the membrane, you will know what the force is from the deflection. Is this what you're talking about?

bluelava0207 said:
I assume you're not applying just a constant force to the ends. If that was the case, I'd say just use calibrated scale weights. If you want to vary the force with time, how fast are the vibrations you want to create?

You could get any machine that pushes up and down on the membrane. Measure the force required to deflect the membrane. As the machine pushes the membrane, you will know what the force is from the deflection. Is this what you're talking about?

The apparatus will be required to tension the membrane. After which, the membrane will be rigidly clamped to sustain a constant tension. Current will be applied to the membrane which will generate an electromagnetic field that will interact with the permanent magnetic field generated by 2 parallel rows of neodymium magnets. The membrane will deform as a result of this interaction over a specific bandwidth (100hz-20khz).

This equipment should help insure a constant tension from test to test, however some other device will be needed to establish the initial design tension.

Google; Extensometer or "Laser extensometer"

Last edited:

1. What is a variable tension apparatus for transducer analysis?

A variable tension apparatus for transducer analysis is a scientific instrument used to measure and analyze the behavior of transducers, which are devices that convert one form of energy into another. It allows researchers to apply varying levels of tension or stress to transducers in order to study their performance and characteristics.

2. How does a variable tension apparatus work?

A variable tension apparatus typically consists of a base or frame, a tensioning mechanism, and a transducer mounting system. The tensioning mechanism allows for precise control of the tension applied to the transducer, while the mounting system securely holds the transducer in place. Researchers can then use the apparatus to measure the response of the transducer to different levels of tension.

3. What types of transducers can be analyzed with a variable tension apparatus?

A variable tension apparatus can be used to analyze a wide range of transducers, including mechanical, electrical, and optical transducers. These may include strain gauges, accelerometers, pressure sensors, and more. The apparatus can also be adapted for use with custom-built or specialized transducers.

4. What are the benefits of using a variable tension apparatus for transducer analysis?

One of the main benefits of using a variable tension apparatus is its ability to apply precise and controlled levels of tension to transducers. This allows for more accurate and reliable data collection and analysis. Additionally, the apparatus can be used for both static and dynamic testing, providing a comprehensive understanding of the transducer's performance.

5. How can a variable tension apparatus be used in scientific research?

A variable tension apparatus is commonly used in scientific research for various purposes, such as studying the mechanical properties of materials, evaluating the performance of transducers in different environments, and developing new transducer technologies. It can also be used in quality control and testing processes for industries such as aerospace, automotive, and medical devices.