Variation of Poles: Response Time & Sampling Rate

In summary, the speaker is seeking feedback on their observations of a step experiment and the resulting model with poles at 0.99 and 0.8. They also mention creating a new model with poles at 0.92 and 0.65 by increasing the sampling rate. The poles of an open loop transfer function indicate the response speed of the system, with poles closer to the origin indicating a faster response. Increasing the sampling rate makes the system more output sensitive, as the temperature change is greater at each sample.
Ioannis86

Homework Statement

Hello, I would like your comments on my observations. I have a set of data from a step experiment, one input (volts D.C), one output (temperature). By doing system identification, the resultant model is second order and its poles lie at 0.99 and 0.8 (z-plane)

Now for the set of data, the sampling rate is 5 seconds. What I did is I took the same set of data and made a new one by appending one sample per 10 samples (50 seconds sampling rate). The parameters of the new model give me the poles at 0.92 and 0.65.

In a closed loop system I know that the closer a pole is to zero, it indicates a faster response. Does that also applies for my open loop transfer function?
Physically, from the data, I can understand that by using 50sec sampling rate there is a bigger temperature change at every sample as compared to 5 sec rate.

Physics news on Phys.org
So does that mean that, by increasing the sampling rate, the system is more output sensitive?Homework Equations Poles of a transfer function indicate the response time of the system. A pole closer to the origin indicates a fast response.The Attempt at a SolutionYes, the poles of an open loop transfer function indicate the response speed of the system. A pole closer to the origin indicates a faster response. Therefore, the poles of your second model at 0.92 and 0.65 are closer to the origin and would indicate a faster response than the first model at 0.99 and 0.8.Increasing the sampling rate does make the system more output sensitive. This is because the temperature change is greater at each sample, which means the system is able to adjust to changes in the environment more quickly.

Related to Variation of Poles: Response Time & Sampling Rate

1. What is the significance of variation of poles in response time?

The variation of poles is an important factor in determining the response time of a system. Poles represent the locations in the complex plane where the transfer function of a system becomes infinite. The closer the poles are to the imaginary axis, the faster the response time of the system will be.

2. How does the sampling rate affect the variation of poles?

The sampling rate is the number of samples taken per unit time, and it has a direct impact on the variation of poles. A higher sampling rate allows for more accurate representation of the system's behavior, resulting in a more precise placement of the poles. This can lead to a more stable and faster response time.

3. What are the common methods for analyzing variation of poles?

There are several techniques used to analyze the variation of poles, including pole-zero analysis, Bode plots, and root locus analysis. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, but they all provide valuable insights into the behavior of a system based on the variation of poles.

4. How can variation of poles be used to improve system performance?

By understanding the variation of poles, engineers can design systems with desired response times and stability. The location of poles can be adjusted by modifying the system components, such as feedback controllers, to achieve the desired performance. This can lead to improved system performance and efficiency.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to manipulating the variation of poles?

While manipulating the variation of poles can improve system performance, it can also introduce potential drawbacks. For example, shifting poles too close to the imaginary axis can result in oscillations and instability. Therefore, careful analysis and consideration must be given when manipulating the variation of poles to avoid negative impacts on system behavior.