Variation of Ricci scalar wrt derivative of metric

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the Einstein-Hilbert action and its related expressions in general relativity. The main focus is on the equation $\frac{\delta R}{\delta g^{\mu\nu}}=R_{\mu\nu}$ and the question about $\frac{\delta R}{\delta(\partial_\lambda g^{\mu\nu})}$. The conversation also touches on the reliability of internet sources for learning about these expressions and the importance of using textbooks for understanding. Ultimately, the speaker concludes that they do not need to understand the second expression and thanks the expert for their help.
jcap
I understand from the wiki entry on the Einstein-Hilbert action that:
$$\frac{\delta R}{\delta g^{\mu\nu}}=R_{\mu\nu}$$
What is the following?
$$\frac{\delta R}{\delta(\partial_\lambda g^{\mu\nu})}$$
Is there a place I could look up such GR expressions on the internet?
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure about your first identity. For the second: I wouldn't know where to find such a monster. It's not a tensor, so you cannot use clever guesswork to derive its form. Maybe someone else knows.

jcap said:
the wiki entry on the Einstein-Hilbert action

I assume you mean this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein–Hilbert_action

jcap said:
$$\frac{\delta R}{\delta g^{\mu\nu}}=R_{\mu\nu}$$

This is a somewhat sloppy (i.e., many physicists are OK with it but many mathematicians get ulcers from looking at things like it) way of saying that the variation of the Ricci scalar ##R## with respect to the inverse metric ##g^{\mu \nu}## is the Ricci tensor ##R_{\mu \nu}##.

jcap said:
What is the following?
$$\frac{\delta R}{\delta(\partial_\lambda g^{\mu\nu})}$$

Where are you seeing this expression? I don't see it in the Wikipedia article.

jcap said:
Is there a place I could look up such GR expressions on the internet?

I have no idea, but even if there is one, I'm not sure how reliable it would be. The best way to learn what such expressions mean is to look at things called "textbooks".

It's ok - I've discovered I don't need this expression. I got confused between using an Euler-Lagrange equation and doing the variation by hand.

Thanks! :)

Last edited:

1. What is the Ricci scalar?

The Ricci scalar is a mathematical quantity used in the study of differential geometry and general relativity. It is a measure of the intrinsic curvature of a space or spacetime.

2. What is the derivative of a metric?

The derivative of a metric is a mathematical operation that describes how the metric changes with respect to a particular variable or set of variables. In the context of general relativity, it is used to calculate the curvature of spacetime.

3. What is the significance of the variation of Ricci scalar wrt derivative of metric?

The variation of Ricci scalar wrt derivative of metric is an important concept in general relativity as it describes how the curvature of spacetime changes when the metric is varied. This is crucial in understanding the dynamics of gravity and the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

4. How is the variation of Ricci scalar wrt derivative of metric calculated?

The variation of Ricci scalar wrt derivative of metric is calculated using the Einstein field equations, which relate the curvature of spacetime to the distribution of matter and energy. It involves taking the second derivative of the metric tensor and then using it to calculate the Ricci scalar.

5. What are the practical applications of studying the variation of Ricci scalar wrt derivative of metric?

Studying the variation of Ricci scalar wrt derivative of metric has numerous practical applications, including in the fields of cosmology, astrophysics, and gravitational wave detection. It also has implications for understanding the behavior of black holes and the evolution of the universe.