Variational method in a finite square well

In summary, the conversation is about using the variational method to prove the existence of a bound state in a finite square well. The individual is stuck and has tried using a trial wave function, but the resulting equation does not lead to a critical value of b. It is suggested that the potential may have been evaluated incorrectly.
jcsimon89
I am trying to prove that there is always one bound state for a finite square well using variational method, and I am stuck. I've tried using e^(-bx^2) as my trial wave function, but I am left with E(b)=(hbar^2)b/2m - V, where V is the depth of the well. In this equation, taking the derivative in terms of b and setting it to zero doesn't lead to a critical value of b, am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Jacob

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you evaluated your potential wrong. If your well goes from 0 to a, then you need to evaluate
[tex]
-V \int_0^a \psi^*(x) \psi(x) dx
[/tex]
which should give you error functions.

The variational method is a powerful tool in quantum mechanics for finding approximate solutions to problems that do not have exact analytical solutions. In the case of a finite square well, the variational method can be used to find an approximate solution for the bound state energy of the system.

The trial wave function you have chosen, e^(-bx^2), is a common choice for the variational method in problems involving a quadratic potential. However, it is important to note that this is just one possible trial wave function and may not always lead to a critical value of b.

It is possible that in this case, the derivative of E(b) with respect to b does not have a critical value, indicating that this trial wave function may not be the best choice for this particular problem. It is important to explore other trial wave functions and see if they lead to a critical value of b.

Additionally, it is important to consider the limitations of the variational method and the fact that it provides an approximate solution, rather than an exact one. It is possible that there may not be a unique bound state for this particular problem, and the variational method may not be able to accurately capture this. Further analysis and exploration of the problem may be needed to fully understand the behavior of the system.

In conclusion, it is important to carefully choose a trial wave function and consider the limitations of the variational method when using it to find solutions to problems in quantum mechanics. Keep exploring different trial wave functions and analyzing the behavior of the system to gain a better understanding of the problem at hand.

Related to Variational method in a finite square well

1. What is the variational method in a finite square well?

The variational method in a finite square well is a mathematical technique used to approximate the ground state energy of a particle trapped inside a potential well. It involves finding a trial wavefunction that minimizes the expectation value of the energy.

2. How does the variational method work in a finite square well?

The variational method works by considering a trial wavefunction that is a linear combination of known functions. The coefficients of these functions are then varied to minimize the expectation value of the energy. The resulting minimum energy corresponds to an approximate solution for the ground state energy of the particle in the potential well.

3. What are the advantages of using the variational method in a finite square well?

The variational method allows for an approximation of the ground state energy of the particle in a finite square well without having to solve the Schrödinger equation directly. It also provides a systematic way of improving the approximation by considering more complex trial wavefunctions.

4. Are there any limitations to the variational method in a finite square well?

The variational method is limited by the choice of trial wavefunction. If the trial wavefunction does not accurately represent the behavior of the particle in the potential well, the resulting approximation for the ground state energy may also be inaccurate. Additionally, the method may become computationally intensive when considering more complex trial wavefunctions.

5. Can the variational method be applied to other potential wells besides the finite square well?

Yes, the variational method can be applied to a variety of potential wells, including the infinite square well, the harmonic oscillator, and the hydrogen atom. However, the trial wavefunctions and energy expressions may differ depending on the specific potential well being considered.