Variational operator in the least action principle

In summary, the difference between the variational operator ##\delta## in ##\delta S=0## and the differential operator ##d## in ##dS## is that ##\delta## is a functional derivative while ##d## is a regular derivative. The rules of differentiation apply to both, but the functional derivative involves treating a functional as a function and a function in the functional as a variable. Additionally, for continuous variables, the functional derivative has a Dirac delta function.
Haorong Wu
TL;DR Summary
the difference between the variational operator ##\delta## in ##\delta S=0## and the differential operator ##d##
Hello. Since I learned the least action principle several years ago, I cannot figure out the difference between the variational operator ##\delta## in ##\delta S=0## and the differential operator ##d## in, say ##dS##.

Everytime I encountered the variational operator, I just treated it as a differential operator and everything worked out.

I understand that ##\delta S=\tilde S - S## means the change due to a small variation of the action ##S##, but isn't that just the meaning of differentiation?

Likes etotheipi
Physics news on Phys.org
Haorong Wu said:
Summary:: the difference between the variational operator ##\delta## in ##\delta S=0## and the differential operator ##d##

Hello. Since I learned the least action principle several years ago, I cannot figure out the difference between the variational operator ##\delta## in ##\delta S=0## and the differential operator ##d## in, say ##dS##.

Everytime I encountered the variational operator, I just treated it as a differential operator and everything worked out.

I understand that ##\delta S=\tilde S - S## means the change due to a small variation of the action ##S##, but isn't that just the meaning of differentiation?

##\delta S## is a functional differential. See here

https://mathworld.wolfram.com/FunctionalDerivative.html

http://www.physics.usu.edu/Wheeler/QFT2016/Notes/QFT09FunctionalDerivatives.pdf

• Informative
Likes vanhees71, etotheipi and Haorong Wu
PeroK said:
Hi, @PeroK. From the definition of functional derivative, could I treat a functional as a function, and a function in the functional as a variable so that I could apply every rules for function derivatives to functional derivatives? It seems to work quite well to me.

Haorong Wu said:
Hi, @PeroK. Could I treat a functional as a function, and a function in the functional as a variable so that I could apply every rules for function derivatives to functional derivatives? It seems to work quite well to me.
Yes, the idea is that all the familiar rules of differentiation apply to the functional derivative. One point to note is that for discrete variables we have:
$$\frac{\partial x_i}{\partial x_j} = \delta_{ij}$$
And for a continuous functional derivative we have:
$$\frac{\delta f(x)}{\delta f(y)} = \delta(x-y)$$

Likes vanhees71
PeroK said:
Yes, the idea is that all the familiar rules of differentiation apply to the functional derivative. One point to note is that for discrete variables we have:
$$\frac{\partial x_i}{\partial x_j} = \delta_{ij}$$
And for a continuous functional derivative we have:
$$\frac{\delta f(x)}{\delta f(y)} = \delta(x-y)$$
I get it now. Thanks, @PeroK.

1. What is the variational operator in the least action principle?

The variational operator, also known as the functional derivative, is a mathematical tool used in the least action principle to determine the path of motion that minimizes the action. It is represented by the symbol δ and is used to find the critical points of a functional.

2. How is the variational operator used in the least action principle?

In the least action principle, the variational operator is applied to the action functional, which is a mathematical expression that represents the total energy of a system. By setting the resulting expression to zero and solving for the path of motion, the variational operator helps to find the path that minimizes the action.

3. What is the significance of the variational operator in physics?

The variational operator plays a crucial role in physics as it allows for the formulation of the principle of least action, which is a fundamental principle in classical mechanics. It provides a more elegant and concise way of describing the motion of a system compared to using Newton's laws of motion.

4. How is the variational operator related to the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The variational operator is used to derive the Euler-Lagrange equation, which is a differential equation that describes the path of motion that minimizes the action. By applying the variational operator to the action functional and setting it to zero, the Euler-Lagrange equation can be obtained.

5. Can the variational operator be used in other areas of science?

Yes, the variational operator has applications in various fields of science, including quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. It is a powerful tool for finding the critical points of a functional and is used in many optimization and control problems.