Vector Addition and Magnitude: Finding the Magnitude of a Vector Resultant

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude of vector B when it is added to vector C. The result is a vector in the positive direction of the y-axis with a magnitude equal to that of C. The conversation also includes a question about the notation and calculation for various vector products. The final part of the conversation involves finding the unit-vector notation for a given product with a specific value for one of the variables.
B-80
If B is added to C = 2.5 i + 3.5 j, the result is a vector in the positive direction of the y axis, with a magnitude equal to that of C. What is the magnitude of B?

I have tried 0, which seems to make sense to me, but it is wrong. and I don't know if it means b+c=2.5i+3.5j or if b=? and c=2.5i+3.5j. Also how can a resultant vector = one of its components if the other vector has any value?

Physics news on Phys.org
"the result is a vector in the positive direction of the y-axis with a magnitude equal to that of C"

first calculate this vector.

okay, 4.3

B-80 said:
okay, 4.3

yes, that's the magnitude... what's the vector?

idk I don't have the angle? unless the first vector they gave was the resultant? is that how it sounds to you?

you have the magnitude of B+C which is 4.3, you know also that B+C is in the positive direction of y
so
B + C = 4.3 j
let B = a i + b j
so
B + C = (a i + b j) + (2.5 i + 3.5 j ) = 4.3 j

the rest : what are a & b that define B ?

-2.5 + .7, so 2.6, thanks

I am also having trouble with
Here are three vectors in meters: d1 = -3.0 i + 3.0 j + 2.0 k, d2 = 2.0 i + 3.0 j + 2.0 k, d3 = -2.0 i - 6.0 j + 1.0 k. What results from the following products?

(a) d1· (d2 + d3)

(b) d1· (d2 d3)

(c) d1 (d2 + d3)

B-80 said:
I am also having trouble with
Here are three vectors in meters: d1 = -3.0 i + 3.0 j + 2.0 k, d2 = 2.0 i + 3.0 j + 2.0 k, d3 = -2.0 i - 6.0 j + 1.0 k. What results from the following products?

(a) d1· (d2 + d3)

(b) d1· (d2 d3)

(c) d1 (d2 + d3)

The first is going to involve a dot product calculation, but there is something odd about your statement of parts (b) and (c). How is part (c) different from (a)? Please check how the rest of the problem is notated -- that is very important!

cool, got that one, but have another one:

In the product = q , take q = 3,

= 2.0i + 4.0j + 6.0k and = 138i -168j + 66k.

What then is in unit-vector notation if Bx = By?

B-80 said:
cool, got that one, but have another one:

In the product = q , take q = 3,

= 2.0i + 4.0j + 6.0k and = 138i -168j + 66k.

What is being multiplied in the product? Some number of labels in this problem aren't showing up. I wonder if you've used some feature the forum software doesn't like or whether my browser doesn't read it?

In the product F = qV + B , take q = 3,
V= 2.0i + 4.0j + 6.0k and F= 138i -168j + 66k.
sorry about that

hey this is due at 11:45 est, so any help is really appriciated

Related to Vector Addition and Magnitude: Finding the Magnitude of a Vector Resultant

1. What is vector addition?

Vector addition is the process of combining two or more vectors to form a new vector. This is done by adding the individual components of each vector together.

2. How is vector addition represented?

Vector addition is typically represented using a graphical method called the "head-to-tail" method. This involves placing the tail of one vector at the head of the other vector, and drawing a new vector from the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector.

3. What is the difference between scalar and vector addition?

Scalar addition involves adding two or more scalar quantities, which only have magnitude (size) but no direction. Vector addition, on the other hand, involves adding two or more vectors, which have both magnitude and direction.

4. How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse (longest side) of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In the case of a vector, the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components.

5. Can vector addition be applied to any number of vectors?

Yes, vector addition can be applied to any number of vectors. The process remains the same regardless of the number of vectors being added together. However, it is important to note that the order in which the vectors are added can affect the final result.