Vector addition (?) with acceleration and velocities given in vectors

In summary, the particle is at (9, 4) on the coordinate plane and has an initial velocity of 5.5 x - 7 y and an acceleration of 1 x + 8.5 y. For 1.5s, the x- and y-components of the velocity are 8.9022, -51.8428° and 5.5586, 83.2902°, respectively. The magnitude of the displacement vector is 9.0588.
exi

Homework Statement

Particle is at (9, 4) on coordinate plane.
Initial velocity: 5.5 x - 7 y
Acceleration: 1 x + 8.5 y
Time: 1.5s

1: What is the x-component of velocity after that 1.5s?
2: Y-component?
3: Magnitude from origin of graph?

Homework Equations

sqrt(x^2 + y^2) for magnitude, tan^-1(y/x) for angles.

The Attempt at a Solution

Dunno if I'm on the right track, but based on the above:

Initial velocity: 8.9022, -51.8428°
Acceleration: 8.5586, 83.2902°

The inclusion of acceleration and velocity as opposed to simple vector addition has got me a bit screwed up. What should I do with this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
exi said:

Homework Statement

Particle is at (9, 4) on coordinate plane.
Initial velocity: 5.5 x - 7 y
Acceleration: 1 x + 8.5 y
Time: 1.5s

1: What is the x-component?
2: Y-component?
3: Magnitude from origin of graph?
The question is incomplete. They want the x and y components of what, exactly?? I am *guessing* they mean the x and y components of the *position vector* at 1.5 second, but that's just a guess. You should confirm.

nrqed said:
The question is incomplete. They want the x and y components of what, exactly?? I am *guessing* they mean the x and y components of the *position vector* at 1.5 second, but that's just a guess. You should confirm.

Sorry about that. It's asking for the x- and y- of velocity after 1.5s.

exi said:
Sorry about that. It's asking for the x- and y- of velocity after 1.5s.

Ahh!

Ok, then you only need to use the following vector formula

[itex] \vec{v}(t) = \vec{v_i} + \vec {a} t [/itex]

So just multiply the acceleration vector by the time (the result will be a vector, of course) then add this vector to the initial velocity vector. For this part of the calculation, you should stay in cartesian coordinates, it's the only way to add two vectors together.

The third question does not make much sense to me (magnitude from the origin of graph?) This is why I thought they were asking about a position or a displacement vector. I don't understand what "magnitude from the origin of graph" means. Magnitude of what vector??

The question is "what is the magnitude of the displacement from the origin after 1.5s?"

After 1.5s, the velocity is 7 x + 5.75 y (thank you very much, btw), confirmed to be correct answers. I tried to graph this out and see if I couldn't land a number that seemed plausible, which I did - but it was incorrect, at 9.0588.

What am I doing wrong?

exi said:
The question is "what is the magnitude of the displacement from the origin after 1.5s?"

After 1.5s, the velocity is 7 x + 5.75 y (thank you very much, btw), confirmed to be correct answers. I tried to graph this out and see if I couldn't land a number that seemed plausible, which I did - but it was incorrect, at 9.0588.

What am I doing wrong?

Ahh, ok, now it makes a bit more sense. They now want the magnitude of the displacement vector which has nothing to do with th evelocity vector you just calculated. You need another calculation.

The position vector at anytime is given by

[itex] \vec{r} (t) = \vec{r_i} + \vec{v_i} t + \frac{1}{2} \vec{a} t^2 [/itex]

You should find the position at 1.5 second and calculate the magnitude of that. (notice that the initial position vector is given in the question).

Got it. Used that equation twice - once for x- and y- values each - and ended up with 18.375x + 3.0625y, for a magnitude of 18.6285m.

I don't know why I completely forgot about that equation, especially considering I just used it extensively on a physics exam.

Thanks for your help. :wink:

exi said:
Got it. Used that equation twice - once for x- and y- values each - and ended up with 18.375x + 3.0625y, for a magnitude of 18.6285m.

I don't know why I completely forgot about that equation, especially considering I just used it extensively on a physics exam.

Thanks for your help. :wink:

You are very welcome :smile:
Notice that the vector equations are the obviosu equivalent of the one-dimensional equations for constant acceleration.

Related to Vector addition (?) with acceleration and velocities given in vectors

1. What is vector addition?

Vector addition is a mathematical operation that combines two or more vectors to create a new vector. It involves adding the magnitudes and directions of each vector to calculate the resulting vector.

2. How is vector addition related to acceleration?

Vector addition is used to calculate the total acceleration of an object when multiple forces are acting on it. The resulting vector represents the net force or acceleration on the object.

3. Can vectors with different units be added together?

No, vectors must have the same units in order to be added together. This is because the magnitude and direction of a vector are affected by its units, and adding different units would result in an incorrect calculation.

4. How do you add vectors with velocities given in different directions?

To add vectors with velocities given in different directions, you must first break down the vectors into components in the same direction (usually x and y). Then, add the components separately using vector addition. The resulting vector will have a magnitude and direction that can be converted back to a single velocity.

5. Can vector addition be used to find the total displacement of an object?

Yes, vector addition can be used to find the total displacement of an object by adding all of the individual displacements (vectors) together. This can be helpful in calculating the final position of an object after multiple displacements have occurred.