Vector calculus — Computing this Divergence

In summary, you can use the divergence of a vector field using the chain rule in any coordinate system.
jorgeluisharo
Homework Statement
Show that if ##\vec{R}=\vec{r}-\vec{r'}## and ##f## it's a function with good behaviour, then
$$\nabla\cdot\vec{ f(R)}=-\nabla '\cdot\vec{f(R)}$$
Relevant Equations
$$\nabla\cdot\vec{ f(R)}=-\nabla '\cdot\vec{f(R)}$$
I really don't know how to proceed if I'm not using an specific coordinate system, Is there a way of doing this using only indices, in general form?

Likes PhDeezNutz and Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
It's the chain rule. Note that ##\nabla## is defined in Cartesian coodinates:
$$\nabla \cdot \vec f (\vec R) \equiv \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(f_x (\vec R)) + \frac{\partial}{\partial y}(f_y (\vec R)) + \frac{\partial}{\partial z}(f_z (\vec R)) $$

Likes docnet, vanhees71 and jorgeluisharo
Your notation is a little bit confusing. PeroK seems to understand that your ##f## is a vector field and you are asking about divergences.
In my case the first time I read it I understood that ##f## is a scalar field and you want to compute the gradient.
Can you please clarify exactly what do you have to compute?
Anyway, the solution should not be too different in both cases, but there may be minor details.

Likes vanhees71, jorgeluisharo and PeroK
PeroK said:
$$\nabla \cdot \vec f (\vec R) \equiv \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(f_x (\vec R)) + \frac{\partial}{\partial y}(f_y (\vec R)) + \frac{\partial}{\partial z}(f_z (\vec R)) $$
Or:
$$\nabla f (\vec R) \equiv (\frac{\partial }{\partial x}(f (\vec R)), \frac{\partial}{\partial y}(f (\vec R)), \frac{\partial}{\partial z}(f (\vec R)) $$

Likes jorgeluisharo
PeroK said:
Thanks, but is there a way of writing and proving this without the use of cartesian coordinates, I mean in a ##n## dimensional space?

Gaussian97 said:
Your notation is a little bit confusing. PeroK seems to understand that your ##f## is a vector field and you are asking about divergences.
In my case the first time I read it I understood that ##f## is a scalar field and you want to compute the gradient.
Can you please clarify exactly what do you have to compute?
Anyway, the solution should not be too different in both cases, but there may be minor details.
Thank you, I want to compute the divergence, f indeed is a vector field.

jorgeluisharo said:
Thanks, but is there a way of writing and proving this without the use of cartesian coordinates, I mean in a ##n## dimensional space?
There are formulas for the divergence in a general coordinate system, but why would you want to complicate your life when you can do the proof in cartesian coordinates? The generalization of cartesian coordinates to ##n## dimension should be rather obvious.
Anyway, I recommend you to prove it first in 3D cartesian coordinates, once you have proven it there, the generalization to ##n## dimension and other coordinates is not complicated.

It might be easier to understand if you write this as
\begin{align*}
\mathbf{f}(\mathbf{R}) = \mathbf{f}(R_1, R_2, R_3) = \mathbf{f}(x-x', y-y', z-z')
\end{align*}Then\begin{align*}
\dfrac{\partial \mathbf{f}}{\partial x} = \dfrac{\partial \mathbf{f}}{\partial R_1} \dfrac{\partial R_1}{\partial x} = \dfrac{\partial \mathbf{f}}{\partial R_1}
\end{align*}whilst\begin{align*}
\dfrac{\partial \mathbf{f}}{\partial x'} = \dfrac{\partial \mathbf{f}}{\partial R_1} \dfrac{\partial R_1}{\partial x'} = - \dfrac{\partial \mathbf{f}}{\partial R_1}
\end{align*}etc.

Likes PeroK, vanhees71 and PhDeezNutz
jorgeluisharo said:
How do you define divergence in the first place? It's defined in Cartesian coordinates. And, Cartesian coordinates extend to ##n## dimensional space. Although, curl is generally not so well defined.

Likes vanhees71
If the question askes you to show x = y, then including x = y as a relevant equation isn't really all that helpful. Relevant equations here would be a definition of the divergence and the chain rule.

Likes PhDeezNutz
PeroK said:
How do you define divergence in the first place? It's defined in Cartesian coordinates. And, Cartesian coordinates extend to ##n## dimensional space. Although, curl is generally not so well defined.
$$\nabla\cdot\mathbf{F} = \lim_{V\rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{V}\oint_S\mathbf{F\cdot n}da$$
$$\nabla\times\mathbf{F} = \lim_{V\rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{V}\oint_S\mathbf{n\times F}da$$

No coordinate system needed... until you want to solve a problem.

Likes PhDeezNutz and PeroK

1. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector fields and their derivatives, such as gradients, divergences, and curls. It is used to describe and analyze physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

2. What is the divergence of a vector field?

The divergence of a vector field is a scalar value that represents the net flow of a vector field at a given point. It is calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field with the del operator (∇).

3. How is the divergence of a vector field computed?

The divergence of a vector field can be computed by taking the partial derivatives of the vector field with respect to each coordinate variable and summing them together. In other words, it is the sum of the directional derivatives of the vector field in each direction.

4. What is the physical interpretation of the divergence?

The physical interpretation of the divergence is the rate of change of the density of a fluid or the amount of flow per unit volume at a given point. It can also represent the presence or absence of sources or sinks in a vector field.

5. How is vector calculus used in real-world applications?

Vector calculus is used in many real-world applications, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and computer graphics. It is also used in fields like economics and finance to model and analyze complex systems. In physics, it is used to describe the behavior of particles and fields, while in engineering, it is used to design and optimize systems and structures.