Vector equation for a line segment in 3 dimensions

In summary: Even if direction is important, your initial solution is good if t goes from 1 to 0 .Easy fix! I like it, thanks!
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

Find the vector equation for a line segment from (2,-1,4) to (4,6,1).

Homework Equations

Arithmetic :p

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was that I simply solved for the distance between the two points and used it as my vector, I then said

<4-2t, 6-7t, 1+3t> when 0≤t≤1

The book didn't do anything like this at all. They threw in some weird formula that seems like it complicated everything for no reason at all. Is my way of doing it wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the formula the book threw in ?
Your solution appears to be in the vector form of a line.

Namely:
$$<x_0, y_0, z_0>+t < a, b, c>$$

Last edited:
Yeah, well isn't that exactly what they were looking for?
They thew in some (1-t)<vector> + <vector2>. Whatever. I'm not interested in their way as I found a much more intuitive way of doing it on sladder. I was just curious if my answer is OK. It gives the exact same result as their does but it's in a different format.

Feodalherren said:
Yeah, well isn't that exactly what they were looking for?
They thew in some (1-t)<vector> + <vector2>. Whatever. I'm not interested in their way as I found a much more intuitive way of doing it on sladder. I was just curious if my answer is OK. It gives the exact same result as their does but it's in a different format.

The segment from ##\vec{a}## to ##\vec{b}## has the form
[tex] \vec{v} = \vec{v}(t) \equiv (1-t) \vec{a} + t \vec{b}, \; 0 \leq t \leq 1.[/tex]
When ##t = 0## we have ##\vec{v} =\vec{a}## and when ##t = 1## we have ##\vec{v} = \vec{b}##.

Note that just saying ##\vec{v} = \vec{a} + t \vec{b}## won't work (why not?).

Feodalherren said:

Homework Statement

Find the vector equation for a line segment from (2,-1,4) to (4,6,1).

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was that I simply solved for the distance between the two points and used it as my vector, I then said

<4-2t, 6-7t, 1+3t> when 0≤t≤1

The book didn't do anything like this at all. They threw in some weird formula that seems like it complicated everything for no reason at all. Is my way of doing it wrong?
For one thing your solution goes from (4,6,1) to (2,-1,4) as t goes from 0 to 1 .

... if that makes any difference.

SammyS said:
For one thing your solution goes from (4,6,1) to (2,-1,4) as t goes from 0 to 1 .

... if that makes any difference.

Okay, does it matter? It's still the same line, just drawn in a different direction.

Feodalherren said:
Okay, does it matter? It's still the same line, just drawn in a different direction.
Tha'ts up to you. You said "Find the vector equation for a line segment from (2,-1,4) to (4,6,1)." Was the "from", "to" important?

Likes 1 person
I guess it matters then. Didn't really think about that. Thanks.

Feodalherren said:
I guess it matters then. Didn't really think about that. Thanks.

Even if direction is important, your initial solution is good if t goes from 1 to 0 .

Likes 1 person
Easy fix! I like it, thanks! :)

Related to Vector equation for a line segment in 3 dimensions

What is a vector equation for a line segment in 3 dimensions?

A vector equation for a line segment in 3 dimensions is a mathematical representation of a line segment using vector notation. It consists of a starting point and a direction vector that determines the length and direction of the line segment.

How is a vector equation for a line segment different from a parametric equation?

A vector equation for a line segment uses vector notation, while a parametric equation uses scalar parameters. In other words, a vector equation represents the magnitude and direction of the line segment, while a parametric equation represents the coordinates of points along the line segment.

What is the significance of the direction vector in a vector equation for a line segment?

The direction vector in a vector equation for a line segment determines the direction and length of the line segment. It is usually represented by the letters "a", "b", and "c" in the equation (a, b, c). This vector is parallel to the line segment and helps to determine the position of any point on the line segment.

Can a vector equation for a line segment be used to represent a curved line?

No, a vector equation for a line segment can only represent a straight line. In order to represent a curved line, a different type of equation, such as a parametric or implicit equation, would need to be used.

How is a vector equation for a line segment used in real-life applications?

A vector equation for a line segment is used in many real-life applications, such as computer graphics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to represent the motion of objects, determine the direction of forces, and create 3D models of objects.