Vector Laplacian: different results in different coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses the results of calculating the Vector Laplacian of a uniform vector field in Cartesian and Cylindrical coordinates. While the expected result of (0,0,0) was obtained in Cartesian coordinates, a different result of (-4cos(t)/r²,-4sin(t)/r²,0) was found in Cylindrical coordinates. The use of Mathematica and the definition for 3D space was mentioned. The speaker also expresses their confusion and expectation for the result to not depend on the choice of coordinate system and to be (0,0,0) in any coordinate system. The motivation for this calculation was to understand the meaning of a v/r² term in the Laplacian in cylindrical
maajdl
Gold Member
Hello,

I calculated the Vector Laplacian of a uniform vector field in Cartesian and in Cylindrical coordinates.
I found different results.
I can't see why.

In Cartesian coordinates the vector field is: (vx,vy,vz)=(1,0,0).
Its Laplacian is: (0,0,0) .
That's the result I expected.

In Cylindral coordinates the same vector field becomes: (vr,vt,vz)=(cos(t),sin(t),0).
I found its Laplacian to be: (-4cos(t)/r²,-4sin(t)/r²,0) .

I used Mathematica to calculate this, using the definition for 3D space:

NumberedEquation1.gif

I expected the result would not depend on the choice of the coordinate system.
I also expected the result would be (0,0,0) in any coordinate system.

My motivation was to understand the meaning of a v/r² term appearing in the Laplacian in cylindrical coordinates.
I hoped that probing with a uniform field would help to reveal the meaning.

Would you have a clue?

Thanks,

Michel

Physics news on Phys.org
Additional comment:

The same problem in 2 dimensions (either Cartesian or Polar coordinates) leads to no contradiction.
This is because the sign before the curl operator in the definition of the Vector Laplacian must be changed to positive in 2D.
In that case, the Laplacian of the above uniform field is indeed (0,0) in both coordinate systems.

Sorry!
Just realized my mistake.
The vector field in cylindrical coordinates should read: (vr,vt,vz)=(cos(t),-sin(t),0) .
Then it fits.

Likes vanhees71 and jedishrfu
It's really great that as you describe the problem, the mistake becomes obvious and new insight is gained.

I think this is one motivation for teachers, that as you explain things to students you realize the many assumptions that you have made when you first learned it and your struggle to explain the assumptions forces or inspires you to a new insight.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the Vector Laplacian?

The Vector Laplacian is a mathematical operator that is used to calculate the divergence of a vector field. It is a generalization of the scalar Laplacian, which is used to calculate the second derivative of a scalar function.

2. Why do different coordinates produce different results for the Vector Laplacian?

The Vector Laplacian is a coordinate-dependent operator, meaning that it takes into account the specific coordinate system in which it is being used. This means that the results will vary depending on the chosen coordinate system.

3. How does the choice of coordinate system affect the Vector Laplacian?

The choice of coordinate system affects the Vector Laplacian because it determines the basis vectors and metric tensor used in the calculation. These components are different for each coordinate system, resulting in different results for the Vector Laplacian.

4. Can the Vector Laplacian be used in any coordinate system?

Yes, the Vector Laplacian can be used in any coordinate system. However, the results will vary depending on the chosen coordinate system. It is important to choose a coordinate system that is most suitable for the specific problem at hand.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Vector Laplacian in different coordinate systems?

One limitation of using the Vector Laplacian in different coordinate systems is that it can be more challenging to interpret the results when using a non-Cartesian coordinate system. Additionally, some coordinate systems may not be suitable for certain types of vector fields, leading to inaccurate results.