Vector problem -- Find the angle between vector A and vector B

In summary: Thank you! Would try to avoid that next time. :)In summary, the solution to finding the angle between vector A and vector B involves resolving all the given vectors and equating their values at each axis to 0. This approach did not yield results, so a different approach was used. In the future, it is recommended to type out work rather than post images to maximize the amount of help one can receive.
Vatsal Goyal

Homework Statement

Vector A + Vector B + Vector C = 0
A=B+C

Homework Equations

Find the angle between vector A and vector B

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve this problem by resolving all the vectors and individually equating the value of vectors at each axes x, y and z to 0 but got nowhere with it.

Please give a hint instead of solving the entire question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vatsal Goyal said:

Homework Statement

Vector A + Vector B + Vector C = 0
A=B+C

Homework Equations

Find the angle between vector A and vector B

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve this problem by resolving all the vectors and individually equating the value of vectors at each axes x, y and z to 0 but got nowhere with it.

Please give a hint instead of solving the entire question.
Please type out your work so far.

berkeman said:
Please type out your work so far.
I got the answer by using a different approach.

15149945295961041157075.jpg

Here is my solution

Attachments

• 15149945295961041157075.jpg
    15149945295961041157075.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 881
Likes berkeman and scottdave
It looks like you figured it out.

Likes Vatsal Goyal
Vatsal Goyal said:
View attachment 217806
Here is my solution

Why would you post a sideways image? I will not lie down on my desk in order to read your work.

Anyway, the PF standard is to type out your work, not to post images of it, unless that is unavoidable, such as when you include diagrams, etc.

Ray Vickson said:
Why would you post a sideways image? I will not lie down on my desk in order to read your work.

Anyway, the PF standard is to type out your work, not to post images of it, unless that is unavoidable, such as when you include diagrams, etc.
Sorry, would keep that in mind next time I ask a question. Thank you.

Vatsal Goyal said:
Sorry, would keep that in mind next time I ask a question. Thank you.
You did more than some. Some people make no attempt or simply state "I have no clue".
I realize that it is easy to snap a picture, especially if you have already worked it out on paper. But keep in mind ways to maximize the amount of help you can get. When I am on my phone, I will usually skip participating if a major part of the post is an image. Usually, it is too small for me to make out what is in the image.

Likes Vatsal Goyal
scottdave said:
You did more than some. Some people make no attempt or simply state "I have no clue".
I realize that it is easy to snap a picture, especially if you have already worked it out on paper. But keep in mind ways to maximize the amount of help you can get. When I am on my phone, I will usually skip participating if a major part of the post is an image. Usually, it is too small for me to make out what is in the image.
Thank you! Would try to avoid that next time. :)

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is commonly represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

2. How do you find the angle between two vectors?

To find the angle between two vectors, you can use the dot product formula: θ = cos⁻¹((A • B) / (|A| * |B|)), where A and B are the two vectors and |A| and |B| are their magnitudes. You can also use the cross product formula, but this method is more complex and not commonly used for finding the angle between two vectors.

3. Can the angle between two vectors be negative?

Yes, the angle between two vectors can be negative. This happens when the two vectors are pointing in opposite directions, and the angle between them is greater than 180 degrees.

4. What is the range of values for the angle between two vectors?

The angle between two vectors can range from 0 degrees (when the vectors are parallel) to 180 degrees (when the vectors are antiparallel or pointing in opposite directions).

5. How can the angle between two vectors be used in real-life applications?

The concept of the angle between two vectors is used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to calculate the force and direction of objects, find the shortest distance between two points, and determine the direction of motion in animations and simulations.