Vector problem involving velocity and wind

The magnitude of the projected vector is approximately 2.52 km/h, which is less than the maximum allowed wind speed of 5 km/h. This means that the race results will not be disqualified due to an illegal wind. In summary, to determine if the race will be disqualified, we need to find the projection of the wind velocity onto the direction of the race and compare it to the maximum allowed wind speed.
braindead101
A 100-meter dash is run on a track in the direction of [tex]\vec{v} = 2\vec{e_{1}}+6\vec{e_{2}}[/tex] . The wind velocity [tex]\vec{e}_{1}+\vec{e_{2}}[/tex] km/h. The rules say that a legal wind speed measured in teh direction of the dash must not exceed 5 km/h. Will the race results be disqualified due to an illegal wind?

I am unsure how to start this problem, any help would be great. I think that I must find the speed of the wind in that direction first, so finding that vector and then finding the magnitude of that vector. But I don't know how to find that vector.

Physics news on Phys.org
is the answer just projecting wind onto the velocity .
proj v (w) = (w, v / v,v )v
= ([5 1],[2 6] /[2 6],[2 6])[2 6]
= ((10+6)/(4+36))[2 6]
= 16/40 [2 6]
= [4/5 12/5]

so magnitude of that is around 2.52, so no the race won't be disqualified... am i doing somethin wrong. and should the 100-meter be incorporated somehow?

No, the condition under which the race is disqualified says nothing about the length of the race, only the speed of the wind. Taking the projection of the wind vector onto the direction of the race is exactly right.

Related to Vector problem involving velocity and wind

1. What is a vector problem involving velocity and wind?

A vector problem involving velocity and wind is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the resultant velocity of an object that is moving with a specific velocity and is affected by the wind's direction and speed.

2. How do you approach solving a vector problem involving velocity and wind?

To solve a vector problem involving velocity and wind, you need to break down the problem into its components, which are the horizontal and vertical components. Then, you can use trigonometric functions and vector addition to find the resultant velocity.

3. What information do you need to solve a vector problem involving velocity and wind?

You need to know the magnitude and direction of the initial velocity of the object, as well as the magnitude and direction of the wind's velocity. Additionally, you may need to know the angle between the initial velocity and the wind's direction.

4. What are some real-life applications of vector problems involving velocity and wind?

Some real-life applications of vector problems involving velocity and wind include calculating the trajectory of a projectile, determining the speed and direction of a plane relative to the ground, and analyzing the motion of a sailboat in the ocean.

5. What are some common mistakes people make when solving vector problems involving velocity and wind?

Some common mistakes people make when solving vector problems involving velocity and wind include not breaking down the problem into its components, forgetting to account for the angle between the initial velocity and the wind's direction, and using the wrong trigonometric functions or vector addition methods.