Vector Resolution - xy Plane - Airspeed/Groundspeed

In summary, the problem is asking for the airspeed and compass direction that will allow a plane to maintain a groundspeed of 400mph and due east direction, given a constant ground speed of 400mph and a 50mph wind from the NW. The airspeed can be found by subtracting the wind speed vector from the ground speed vector, and the compass direction can be determined by considering the wind direction and its effect on the plane's path. The resulting equation should be ground speed = airspeed + wind speed.
JeffNYC

Homework Statement

Plane flies at constant ground speed of 400mph due East. There is a 50mph wind from the NW. Find airspeed and compass direction that will allow the plane to maintain its groundspeed of 400mph and due east direction.

Homework Equations

see b3

The Attempt at a Solution

Attached image has my attempt at the problem. I found the velocity vectors (I think correctly) of the Plane and the Wind, added the 2 vectors and found the resultant vector. How should I interpret this resultant vector (is it airspeed?) and how do I find the required compass direction?

airspeed and course vector image physics forums.jpg

Thank you,

Jeff

Physics news on Phys.org
Your groundspeed vector is correct. The wind vector on your diagram is correctly oriented, but your component equation is incorrect; it would be if the wind were blowing in the opposite direction. It should be (50 cos 45)i - (50 sin 45)j.

The manner in which these terms are usually used is such that ground speed = airspeed + wind speed. The word "speed" really should be "velocity" as I suspect you realize. Given the information you have, airspeed = ground speed - windspeed, and so your equation relating these three vectors is not correct.

Basically what the question is asking is one which every pilot has to answer everytime he or she goes flying: If I want my velocity over the ground to be 400 mph E, and I have a wind behind and from the left (from the NW), at what velocity do I need fly the airplane (through the air) to achieve this. Qualitatively, the answer is less than 400mph since I have a bit of a tailwind pushing me eastward, and somewhat north of east to compensate for the wind tending to push me south. Ofcourse, GPS and computers have eliminated the need to any calculations "by hand".

Hello Jeff,

Your approach to the problem is correct. The resultant vector represents the airspeed of the plane. To find the required compass direction, you can use trigonometry to calculate the angle between the resultant vector and the due East direction. This angle will give you the direction in which the plane needs to fly in order to maintain its groundspeed of 400mph and due East direction.

I hope this helps! Keep up the good work in your studies of vector resolution. It is a very useful tool in understanding motion and forces. Good luck!

Related to Vector Resolution - xy Plane - Airspeed/Groundspeed

1. What is vector resolution?

Vector resolution is a method used to break down a single vector into its components in the x and y directions. This allows for a better understanding of the direction and magnitude of the vector.

2. How is vector resolution used in the xy plane?

In the xy plane, vector resolution is used to break down a vector into its horizontal and vertical components. This can be helpful in understanding the direction and magnitude of an object's movement or velocity.

3. What is the difference between airspeed and groundspeed?

Airspeed refers to the speed of an object relative to the air it is traveling through, while groundspeed refers to the speed of an object relative to the ground. This means that airspeed can be affected by wind or air currents, while groundspeed is not.

4. How do you calculate airspeed and groundspeed using vector resolution?

To calculate airspeed and groundspeed using vector resolution, you would first need to break down the vector representing the object's velocity into its horizontal and vertical components. Then, you can use basic trigonometry to calculate the magnitude of each component and determine the airspeed and groundspeed.

5. Why is vector resolution important in the study of airspeed and groundspeed?

Vector resolution is important in the study of airspeed and groundspeed because it allows for a more accurate understanding of an object's velocity. By breaking down the vector into its components, we can better understand the direction and magnitude of the object's movement, which can be useful in various fields such as aviation, meteorology, and engineering.