Vector Space - Proving Associativity

In summary, we defined $V^n$ as the set of all n-tuples of vectors from a vector space $V$, with addition and scalar multiplication defined accordingly. We then proved that addition in $V^n$ is associative by using the associative axiom for addition in $V$. However, if $V$ is not known to be a vector space, then we can use the fact that the components of the tuples are real numbers and the associativity of addition for real numbers to show that addition in $V^n$ is associative. To prove that $V$ is a vector space, however, all the axioms must be checked.
Dethrone
Let $V$ be a vector space, and define $V^n$ to be the set of all n-tuples $(v_1, v_2,...,v_n)$ of n vectors $v_i$, each belonging to $V$. Define addition and scalar multiplcation in $V^n$ as follows:
$(u_1,u_2,...,u_n)+(v_1,v_2,...,v_n)=(u_1+v_1, u_2+v_2,...,u_n+v_n)$
$a(v_1,v_2,...,v_n)=(av_1,av_2,...,av_n)$, $a \in \Bbb{R}$

Proving this is quite trivial, but I'm quite confused about something. In proving that it is associative, then $(u+v)+w=u+(v+w)$. Let $u=(u_1,u_2,...,u_n), v=(v_1,v_2,...,v_n), w=(w_1,w_2,...,w_n)$, where $u, v,w \in V$. $\left[\left((u_1,u_2,...,u_n)+(v_1,v_2,...,v_n)\right)+(w_1,w_2,...,w_n)\right]$
$=[(u_1+v_1, u_2+v_2,...,u_n+v_n)+(w_1,w_2,...,w_n)]$
$=[(u_1+v_1)+w_1, (u_2+v_2)+w_2,...,(u_n+v_n)+w_n]$
$=[u_1+(v_1+w_1), u_2+(v_2+w_2),...,u_n+(v_n+w_n)]$

Now, at this step, my TA justifies this step of switching the brackets by saying since $u_1$, $v_1$, and $w_1$ are in the vector space, then by the associative axiom $(u_1+v_1)+w_1=u_1+(v_1+w_1)$. I'm not sure if I agree with that...aren't we trying to prove that it satisfies the associative axiom, so why are we using that in our proof? This is what I think it should be: since the components of the tuples are real numbers, then they are equivalent because the addition of real numbers is associative. Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rido12 said:
Let $V$ be a vector space, and define $V^n$ to be the set of all n-tuples $(v_1, v_2,...,v_n)$ of n vectors $v_i$, each belonging to $V$. Define addition and scalar multiplcation in $V^n$ as follows:
$(u_1,u_2,...,u_n)+(v_1,v_2,...,v_n)=(u_1+v_1, u_2+v_2,...,u_n+v_n)$
$a(v_1,v_2,...,v_n)=(av_1,av_2,...,av_n)$, $a \in \Bbb{R}$

Proving this is quite trivial, but I'm quite confused about something. In proving that it is associative, then $(u+v)+w=u+(v+w)$. Let $u=(u_1,u_2,...,u_n), v=(v_1,v_2,...,v_n), w=(w_1,w_2,...,w_n)$, where $u, v,w \in V$. $\left[\left((u_1,u_2,...,u_n)+(v_1,v_2,...,v_n)\right)+(w_1,w_2,...,w_n)\right]$
$=[(u_1+v_1, u_2+v_2,...,u_n+v_n)+(w_1,w_2,...,w_n)]$
$=[(u_1+v_1)+w_1, (u_2+v_2)+w_2,...,(u_n+v_n)+w_n]$
$=[u_1+(v_1+w_1), u_2+(v_2+w_2),...,u_n+(v_n+w_n)]$

Now, at this step, my TA justifies this step of switching the brackets by saying since $u_1$, $v_1$, and $w_1$ are in the vector space, then by the associative axiom $(u_1+v_1)+w_1=u_1+(v_1+w_1)$. I'm not sure if I agree with that...aren't we trying to prove that it satisfies the associative axiom, so why are we using that in our proof? This is what I think it should be: since the components of the tuples are real numbers, then they are equivalent because the addition of real numbers is associative. Am I right?
The components of the tuples are not real numbers, but elements of the space $V$. You are told that $V$ is a vector space, so you can assume that addition in $V$ is associative. If you replace "real numbers" by "elements of $V$", then your reasoning is correct. Addition in $V$ is associative, and it follows that addition in $V^n$ is associative.

I get it! But what if we weren't told that $V$ was a vector space? For example: The set $V$ of all ordered pairs $(x,y)$ with the addition and scalar multiplication of $\Bbb{R^2}$. Prove whether or not it is a vector space.
$(u+v)+w=((x_1,x_2)+(y_1,y_2))+(z_1,z_2)=((x_1+y_1)+z_1,(x_2+y_2)+z_1)$
Now that we don't know that $V$ is a vector space, then can I say that since $x_1,y_1,z_1$ are all real numbers (assuming that the vector field is of real numbers), and we know that the addition of real numbers are associative, then $(x_1+y_1)+z_1=x_1+(y_1+x_1)$?

Rido12 said:
I get it! But what if we weren't told that $V$ was a vector space? For example: The set $V$ of all ordered pairs $(x,y)$ with the addition and scalar multiplication of $\Bbb{R^2}$. Prove whether or not it is a vector space.
$(u+v)+w=((x_1,x_2)+(y_1,y_2))+(z_1,z_2)=((x_1+y_1)+z_1,(x_2+y_2)+z_1)$
Now that we don't know that $V$ is a vector space, then can I say that since $x_1,y_1,z_1$ are all real numbers (assuming that the vector field is of real numbers), and we know that the addition of real numbers are associative, then $(x_1+y_1)+z_1=x_1+(y_1+x_1)$?

Hey Rido!

Yep. That is correct. ;)

So from this you can deduce that addition of the elements in V is associative.

To prove V is a vector space, you have to go through the whole lot though (see Definition of a Vector Space). (Nerd)

Thanks for the help, Opalg and ILS! :D

I like Serena said:
To prove V is a vector space, you have to go through the whole lot though (see Definition of a Vector Space). (Nerd)

Yes...(Crying), the simple ones like these are quite tedious, but at least I find the more difficult ones fun to prove :D

What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements, called vectors, and two operations, addition and scalar multiplication, that satisfy certain properties. These properties include closure under addition and scalar multiplication, associativity of addition, and distributivity of scalar multiplication over addition.

What is the definition of associativity in a vector space?

Associativity in a vector space refers to the property that the order in which vector additions are performed does not affect the final result. In other words, for any three vectors a, b, and c in a vector space, (a + b) + c = a + (b + c).

Why is proving associativity important in a vector space?

Proving associativity is important because it ensures that the operations of addition and scalar multiplication in a vector space are well-defined and consistent. This allows us to perform calculations and make conclusions based on these operations with confidence.

How can associativity be proven in a vector space?

Associativity can be proven in a vector space by using the definition of a vector space and the properties that it entails. This involves showing that for any three vectors a, b, and c in the vector space, (a + b) + c = a + (b + c) by using the properties of closure, commutativity, and distributivity.

Are there any exceptions to the property of associativity in a vector space?

No, there are no exceptions to the property of associativity in a vector space. It is a fundamental property that all vector spaces must satisfy in order to be considered valid. If a vector space does not satisfy the property of associativity, it is not a vector space.