Vectors and Trigonometry Homework Help

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with a physics problem involving a quadratic equation. They have used a formula to get an answer of 1.43s, but the correct answers are 0.68s and 2.4s. The conversation also includes a guide on how to solve quadratic equations.
Lui4
Homework Statement
A stone is thrown straight up with a speed of 15.0m/s
(a) How fast will it be moving when its altitude is 8.0m above the point from which it was thrown? How much time elapses while the stone is reaching that height?
(b) Is there one answer or are there two answers? Why?
Relevant Equations
D=vot+(1/2) (a) (t)^2
Hey, I am new to this community and I am in need of help with this physics problem. I have used the formula above and the answer I get is 1.43s. The correct two answers are 0.68s and 2.4s. For the Vf the answer is 8.3 m/s.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lui4 said:
Homework Statement:: A stone is thrown straight up with a speed of 15.0m/s
(a) How fast will it be moving when its altitude is 8.0m above the point from which it was thrown? How much time elapses while the stone is reaching that height?
(b) Is there one answer or are there two answers? Why?
Relevant Equations:: D=vot+(1/2) (a) (t)^2

Hey, I am new to this community and I am in need of help with this physics problem. I have used the formula above and the answer I get is 1.43s. The correct two answers are 0.68s and 2.4s. For the Vf the answer is 8.3 m/s.
If you would like someone to point out where you went wrong it would be helpful if you were to post your working.

Hey, thanks for the quick reply. Hope this helps understand the problem better!

1607937531507.png

1607937606153.png

1607937567714.png

You don't seem to know how to solve quadratic equations.

Likes Delta2
Oh, okay.

A guide on how to solve a quadratic equation Quadratic equation - Wikipedia

If you are bored to read all that (lol) here is the core of that article:
A quadratic equation ##ax^2+bx+c=0## has (in the most general case) two roots:
$$x_1=\frac{-b+\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}$$ and $$x_2=\frac{-b-\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}$$

Likes Lui4
Thank you for your help, I’ll keep this in mind when looking at the question!

Likes Delta2

Related to Vectors and Trigonometry Homework Help

What are vectors and how are they used in trigonometry?

Vectors are mathematical objects that have both magnitude and direction. In trigonometry, vectors are used to represent physical quantities such as velocity and force, and are also used to solve geometric problems involving angles and distances.

What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that only has magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. For example, temperature is a scalar quantity because it only has a numerical value, while velocity is a vector quantity because it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

How do you add and subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you must first break them down into their components (x and y for 2D vectors, x, y, and z for 3D vectors). Then, you can add or subtract the corresponding components to get the resultant vector. The magnitude of the resultant vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem and the direction can be found using trigonometric functions.

What is the dot product and how is it used in trigonometry?

The dot product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. In trigonometry, the dot product is used to find the angle between two vectors or to project one vector onto another.

How is trigonometry used in real-life applications?

Trigonometry is used in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, and astronomy. It is used to solve problems involving angles and distances, such as determining the height of a building or the trajectory of a projectile. Trigonometric functions are also used in navigation and GPS systems, as well as in the design of structures and machines.