Vectors in yz and xz plane dot product, cross product, and angle

In summary: The sines and cosines are mixed up. Go through those calculations again.In summary, the conversation involved trying to find the components of two vectors using trigonometric functions. However, the sines and cosines were mixed up, resulting in incorrect values. The correct components for vector a are (0, 2.32, 1.18) and for vector b are (1.01, 0, 0.82). The correct dot product of the two vectors is 1.19 and the correct angle between them is 73.3°.
Ursa
Homework Statement
Vector ##\vec a## lies in the yz plane 63.0° from the positive direction of the y axis, has a positive z component, and has magnitude ##2.60 m##. Vector ##\vec b## lies in the xz plane 51.0° from the positive direction of the x axis, has a positive z component, and has magnitude ##1.30 m##. Find (a)##\vec a \cdot \vec b## , (b) the x-component of ##\vec a X \vec b## , (c) the y-component of ##\vec a X \vec b## , (d) the z-component of ##\vec a X \vec b## , and (e) the angle between ##\vec a## and ##\vec b## .
Relevant Equations
##a_y =a sin \Phi##
##a_x =a cos \Phi##
##\vec a \cdot \vec b =ab cos \phi##
I tried to find the components of the vectors.

##a_y =2.60 sin 63.0 = 2.32## and assuming the z axis would behave the same as an x-axis ##a_z =2.60 cos 63.0 = 1.18##

##b_z =1.30 sin 51.0 = 1.01## making the same assumption ##b_x =1.3 cos 51.0 = 0.82## I now think I should have switched these two around, seeing the in the positive direction on the zx plane the z looks like the x and the x like the y.

but going further in this logic I attempted (a)

\begin{matrix}
0i & 2.32j & 1.18k\\
0.82i & 0j & 1.01k
\end{matrix}

##0*0.82 + 2.32*0 + 1.18*1.01= 1.19##

(b)
##2.32*1.01 - 1.18 *0 = 2.3##

(c)

##1.18 *0 - 0*1.01= 0##

(d)

##0 *0 - 2.31*0.82= 1.90##

(e)

##\vec a \cdot \vec b =ab cos \phi##
##1.19= 2.6*1.3 cos \phi##
##\phi = 69.4°##

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your trig functions. Remember that ##\cos\Phi=\dfrac{\text{adjacent}}{\text{hypotenuse}}##.

So if I understand my mistake the right answers should be
(a) 0.97 m^{2}
(b) -1.19 m^{2}
(c) -1.90 m^{2}
(d) 2.34 m^{2}
(e) 73.3°

or have I veered way of again?

Ursa said:
So if I understand my mistake the right answers should be
(a) 0.97 m^{2}
(b) -1.19 m^{2}
(c) -1.90 m^{2}
(d) 2.34 m^{2}
(e) 73.3°

or have I veered way of again?
That's not what I get.

Your answer to (a) is incorrect. That means that your vectors ##\vec a## and/or ##\vec b## are incorrect. What did you change? How about posting them as you did before?

... why not just post the components of your two vectors and get those right before going any further.

These are the components I came up with

##a_y =2.60 sin 63.0 = 2.32## ##a_x=0## ##a_z =2.60 cos 63.0 = 1.18##

##b_y=0## ##b_x =1.30 sin 51.0 = 1.01## ##b_z =1.3 cos 51.0 = 0.82##

Ursa said:

You have sines and cosines mixed up.

Ursa said:

See post #2.

What are vectors in the yz and xz plane?

Vectors in the yz and xz plane are two-dimensional vectors that lie on the yz and xz planes, respectively. They have two components, one in the y or x direction and one in the z direction.

What is the dot product of two vectors in the yz and xz plane?

The dot product of two vectors in the yz and xz plane is a scalar quantity that is equal to the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. It is used to determine the angle between two vectors and the projection of one vector onto another.

What is the cross product of two vectors in the yz and xz plane?

The cross product of two vectors in the yz and xz plane is a vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. Its magnitude is equal to the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors and the sine of the angle between them. It is used to determine the direction of a vector that is perpendicular to a plane formed by two given vectors.

What is the angle between two vectors in the yz and xz plane?

The angle between two vectors in the yz and xz plane is the angle formed by the two vectors when they are placed tail-to-tail. It can be calculated using the dot product or the cross product of the two vectors.

How are vectors in the yz and xz plane used in scientific applications?

Vectors in the yz and xz plane are used in many scientific applications, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to represent physical quantities, such as force and velocity, and can be manipulated using mathematical operations to solve problems and make predictions.