Vehicle Parking Brake Test on a Slope [How Convert to a Flat Ground test?]

In summary: The stall ratio is the ratio of the stall speed to the engine speed. The stall torque is the torque required to maintain the stall speed.
physicsnoob204
TL;DR Summary
Slope Test to Flat Ground Test
Vehicle Mass : 3 tonnes

Manufacturer's instruction is to test vehicle's parking brake effectiveness is to engage parking brake on 30.96 degrees slope. If it holds, it is effective.

I do not have 30.96 degrees slope & I want to replicate the same test on flat ground. I was thinking of accelerating to a X rpm with my parking brake on.

Based on my free body diagram, the Parking Brake Force on 30.96 degrees slope is the same as the Acceleration Force on Flat Ground and is calculated to be 15140N. [Fg sin (30.96)]

But I can't correlate RPM and Force.. and I'm not sure what other variables are needed (Torque? HP?)

*Assuming no friction/resistance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Tan(30.96°) = 0.6000 which is a rise of 6 in 10.

Have you considered making a set of short vehicle ramps, each with that 6 in 10 slope.
You might be able to place the ramps, then drive up the slope and park.
Alternatively, park the vehicle on the flat, jack it up and put a short ramp under each wheel until all wheels are supported on that slope.

There is a complication, the weight distribution to the various axles is determined by the slope and the centre of mass of the vehicle.
That may not be a problem with a dynamic stop where a pendulum hangs with the 6 in 10 slope during the deceleration. Forward or reverse stop?

Does the parking brake need to operate when the vehicle is facing uphill or downhill?

Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.

Tan(30.96°) = 0.6000 which is a rise of 6 in 10.

Have you considered making a set of short vehicle ramps, each with that 6 in 10 slope.
You might be able to place the ramps, then drive up the slope and park.
Alternatively, park the vehicle on the flat, jack it up and put a short ramp under each wheel until all wheels are supported on that slope.

There is a complication, the weight distribution to the various axles is determined by the slope and the centre of mass of the vehicle.
That may not be a problem with a dynamic stop where a pendulum hangs with the 6 in 10 slope during the deceleration. Forward or reverse stop?

Does the parking brake need to operate when the vehicle is facing uphill or downhill?
Thanks for the prompt reply! Yes it is a 60% slope.

Unfortunately, our company has some considerations and short ramp would not be feasible as well. Generating a RPM is the way forward (if even possible) but I do need to present the calculations.

The parking brake needs to operate when the vehicle is facing uphill and downhill.

1. Currently, I've put a sample size of 20 vehicles on a 60% Slope. Without Parking Brake, they all took an average of 1160 rpm to stay on the slope.

2. With the same 20 vehicles on flat ground, I've fully engaged the Parking Brake and they all took an average of 1157 rpm before "inching forward abit".

Although this proves that my FBD is somewhat true that the RPM on 60% slope to hold the vehicle is the RPM required to "break" the Parking Brake Force on Flat ground, I had a hard time co-relating RPM and Force.

You did not specify an automatic gearbox with a torque converter. If a torque converter is used, 1160 RPM would be specified as converter slip. It would be very difficult to correlate RPM with torque, given oil grade and temperature variation. We need more information on the vehicle and driveline.
How many axles? 4WD? and does the parking brake operate on all wheels?

Baluncore said:
Would it not make more sense for a garage to use this as the criteria to determine if the brakes are adequate, using a ramp with this slope, than trying to find a road with the specific slope.
The manufacturer's instructions probably spell that out so any service centre can perform the test, and not just those with hills around the area.

256bits said:
Would it not make more sense for a garage to use this as the criteria to determine if the brakes are adequate, using a ramp with this slope, than trying to find a road with the specific slope.
I would just put the vehicle on a tilt tray truck, then raise it to the required angle.

Likes berkeman and 256bits
physicsnoob204 said:
2. With the same 20 vehicles on flat ground, I've fully engaged the Parking Brake and they all took an average of 1157 rpm before "inching forward abit".
When the vehicle is stationary with ALL brakes firmly applied, stall RPM was, and probably still is, a test of torque converter health. How would you know if you were testing the brakes or the torque converter?

You appear to be operating the torque converter in Stall mode?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_converter#Operational_phases
What is the stall ratio and torque?

Likes 256bits
Baluncore said:
You did not specify an automatic gearbox with a torque converter. If a torque converter is used, 1160 RPM would be specified as converter slip. It would be very difficult to correlate RPM with torque, given oil grade and temperature variation. We need more information on the vehicle and driveline.
How many axles? 4WD? and does the parking brake operate on all wheels?
I'm still gathering all the information you need.

The vehicle is a very old tracked vehicle, and much like a customized excavator/bulldozer. The parking brake is a transmission brake.

Yes I agree! But for some considerations, flat ground is our only solution for our situation.

physicsnoob204 said:
1. Currently, I've put a sample size of 20 vehicles on a 60% Slope. Without Parking Brake, they all took an average of 1160 rpm to stay on the slope.
Welcome!
Are these vehicles exactly like the one in question?
Could you use same slope for a vehicle exactly like yours?
Do you have a practical way of applying (and measuring) torque directly to the transmission shaft near the brake?

Last edited:
Baluncore said:
I would just put the vehicle on a tilt tray truck, then raise it to the required angle.
Great idea! I wonder if that 6-in-10 tilt is possible with most tilt-bed towtrucks. Also, the beds are usually metal, so I wonder if there would be enough traction for the truck's parking brake to hold it in the nose-down position...

https://www.jsausa.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Tilt-Bed-Tow-Truck.jpg

1590509313744.png

physicsnoob204 said:
The vehicle is a very old tracked vehicle, and much like a customized excavator/bulldozer. The parking brake is a transmission brake.
A wooden bed would be needed if the tracks were steel, with rough timber placed across the ramp.

A tip-truck tray would be an alternative for testing a small 3 tonne tracked vehicle. It will reach a steeper angle than a slide-tray, and if installed as a fixed test rig, would not need the truck.

Likes 256bits
A tip truck tray has one possible problem. It may not have enough friction to keep the vehicle from sliding down with the brakes locked.

physicsnoob204 said:
short ramp would not be feasible as well

A tip truck tray is a short ramp. You might ask them to rethink building a short ramp. Have a contractor pour a concrete slab at the required angle, and specify a rough broomed surface. It might be possible to pour concrete at that angle by using a stiff (low slump) mixture. Or pour a reinforced flat slab, then lift up one end and push dirt underneath. A 3 ton vehicle is about the same weight as many American pickup trucks, and 4" of concrete supports them. A 4" thick slab 8 feet wide by 20 feet long will weigh about 4 tons, so one end can be easily picked up with typical construction equipment.

Even simpler: Is it practical to make a pile of dirt at the required angle? A medium size bulldozer could make such a pile in a couple of hours.

Likes 256bits
Does the vehicle have a hard point for towing? you could attach a cable and ratchet, and I assume there's a spring scale that can be bought or made for this.

This idea of using engine torque is a complete non-starter.

Likes 256bits

1. What is a vehicle parking brake test on a slope?

A vehicle parking brake test on a slope is a safety test performed on a vehicle to ensure that the parking brake is functioning properly. It involves parking the vehicle on a slope and engaging the parking brake to see if the vehicle remains stationary.

2. Why is it important to perform a parking brake test on a slope?

Performing a parking brake test on a slope is important because it ensures the safety of the vehicle and its occupants. If the parking brake is not functioning properly, the vehicle may roll down the slope and cause accidents or injury.

3. How do you convert a vehicle parking brake test on a slope to a flat ground test?

To convert a vehicle parking brake test on a slope to a flat ground test, you will need to use a special tool called a dynamometer. This tool measures the amount of force required to move the vehicle and can simulate a slope by applying the necessary force.

4. What are the factors that can affect the results of a vehicle parking brake test on a slope?

The results of a vehicle parking brake test on a slope can be affected by several factors, such as the weight and type of the vehicle, the angle of the slope, the condition of the parking brake, and the surface of the slope (e.g. wet or slippery).

5. How often should a vehicle parking brake test on a slope be performed?

It is recommended to perform a vehicle parking brake test on a slope at least once a year or whenever the vehicle's brakes are being serviced. It is also a good idea to perform the test after any major changes or modifications to the vehicle.