Velocity Addition and Doppler Effect: Explained

In summary, the transverse Doppler effect corresponds to the classical Doppler effect corrected by time dilation, but the first one is obtained with classical velocity additions (c+v at the front of the source and c-v at the back) whereas velocity addition of special relativity gives c at the front and c at the back.
Kairos
The Doppler effect of light corresponds to the classical Doppler effect corrected by time dilation, but the first one is obtained with classical velocity additions (c+v at the front of the source and c-v at the back) whereas velocity addition of special relativity gives c at the front and c at the back.. please can you explain my confusion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Velocity addition does not come into this. Simply observe that the source moves a distance ##v/f## in the time it takes (in your frame) to emit one wave. Thus the wavelength is ##c/f\pm v/f## (i.e., the distance traveled by the wave plus or minus the distance traveled by the source). This is the same as the Newtonian derivation. The only change you need to make is to note that due to time dilation, ##f=f_0/\gamma##, where ##f_0## is the frequency measured by the source.

Likes Kairos
You don't need the somewhat cumbersome velocity additions (at least not for free em. fields). You just have to consider that the phase of a plane-wave solution, ##\omega/c t-\vec{k} \cdot \vec{x}=k_{\mu} x^{\mu}## is a Lorentz scalar, which implies that ##k_{\mu}## is a Lorentz vector. So you can just using a Lorentz boost to transform the components of the wave-fourvector ##k^{\mu}## wrt. an inertial frame to any other inertial frame.

If you are only interested in the change of the frequency of the light as seen from different observers, you only need to know that it can only depend on the relative velocity between the light source and the observer. So let ##u^{\mu}=\gamma(1,\vec{\beta})## be the four-velocity (normalized to 1) of the light source in the reference frame of the observer. Now it's most convenient to refer to the frequency of the light ##\omega_0## in the restframe of the light source. It is a Lorentz invariant and given by
$$\omega_0/c=u_{\mu} k^{\mu}=\gamma (\omega/c -\vec{\beta} \cdot \vec{k}).$$
Now with ##\vec{k}=k \vec{n}## and the dispersion relation ##k=\omega/c## you get
$$\omega_0=\gamma \omega (1-\vec{\beta} \cdot \vec{n})$$
or
$$\omega=\frac{\omega_0}{\gamma (1-\vec{\beta} \cdot \vec{n})}.$$
Now take the extreme cases: ##\vec{\beta}=\beta \vec{n}##, i.e., the light-source travels in the diretion of wave propagation (i.e., towards the observer). This gives ##\gamma(1-\beta)=\sqrt{(1-\beta)/(1+\beta)}## and thus
$$\omega_{\text{max blue}}=\sqrt{\frac{1+\beta}{1-\beta}} \omega_0.$$
This is the maximal blue shift you can get compared to the frequency in the rest frame of the light source. For the maximal redshift you have to set ##\vec{\beta}=-\beta \vec{n}## (source moving away from observer):
$$\omega_{\text{max red}}=\sqrt{\frac{1-\beta}{1+\beta}} \omega_0.$$
Then a specifically relativistic effect is that there's also a shift if the source moves perpendicular to the light-propagation direction, i.e., for ##\vec{\beta} \cdot \vec{n}=0##:
$$\omega_{\perp}=\frac{\omega_0}{\gamma}=\sqrt{1-\beta^2} \omega_0,$$
i.e., you have a red shift, which is of course purely due to time dilation between the light-source restframe and the observer's frame. That's the transverse Doppler effect.

Likes Kairos
vanhees71 said:
that's the transverse Doppler effect.
on this subject, do you know if this transverse Doppler effect has been observed. I have only seen one publication! (Hasselkamp1979). It doesn't seem like much for such an important result.

thank you I will read this with interest

1. What is velocity addition and how does it work?

Velocity addition is a concept in physics that explains how the velocities of two objects moving in different frames of reference can be combined to determine the overall velocity of one object as seen from the other frame. It follows the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of reference.

2. How does the Doppler effect relate to velocity addition?

The Doppler effect is a phenomenon where the frequency of a wave appears to change when the source of the wave is moving relative to the observer. In the context of velocity addition, the Doppler effect is used to calculate the change in frequency of a wave due to the relative motion between the source and observer.

3. Can you give an example of velocity addition and the Doppler effect in action?

One example of velocity addition and the Doppler effect is a police car chasing a speeding car. As the police car moves towards the speeding car, the sound waves from the siren are compressed, resulting in a higher frequency and a higher pitch. As the police car moves away from the speeding car, the sound waves are stretched, resulting in a lower frequency and a lower pitch.

4. How is the formula for velocity addition derived?

The formula for velocity addition, also known as the Galilean transformation, is derived from the principles of relativity and the addition of velocities in vector form. It can be derived using basic trigonometry and the Pythagorean theorem.

5. Are there any real-world applications of velocity addition and the Doppler effect?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of velocity addition and the Doppler effect. Some examples include radar systems, where the Doppler effect is used to measure the speed of moving objects, and medical imaging techniques such as ultrasound, where the Doppler effect is used to detect the movement of blood in the body.