Velocity and Temp. profiles for stagnation point (m=1)

In summary, a stagnation point is a point in a flow field where the velocity of the fluid is zero. The velocity profile at a stagnation point is directly affected by the Mach number, and at higher Mach numbers, the velocity profile will be more compressed and exhibit a steeper gradient. Stagnation temperature and stagnation pressure are directly related through the stagnation equation, and as stagnation temperature increases, so does stagnation pressure. The temperature profile at a stagnation point also changes with the Mach number, with higher Mach numbers resulting in a more compressed and steeper gradient. Studying velocity and temperature profiles at a stagnation point is important in many fields, such as aerodynamics, thermodynamics, and fluid mechanics, and can
mejia198021
Hi,

Can anyone assist me in the findings of the velocity and temp. profiles for stagnation point flow (m=1) for Varoius values of Pr (.6,1,1.5,5,10). At this moment I am using Matlab's ode45 to solve this problem along with applying the Blasius Eqn (f''' +1/2f*f''=0) and Energy Eqn. (2*theta''+Pr*f*theta'=0). I have been reading on the use of ode45 and I think I know what I need to do, but I am not sure how to incorporate the above equations along with the B.C. that are f'=0, f=0, theta=o and phi=0.

Can someone please suggest any info., that would be great.

so far this is what I have in my M-file - this is the main part of the code:

ti=0.0;
tf=15.0;
tintval=[ti tf];
bcinit=[0.0 0.0 0.33206];

[t,y]= ode45(@stagnation,tintval,bcinit);

%t=the scalar time
%y=the column vector
%ode45 is the solver
%@rigid is the function handle calling function
%[0.0 15.0] is the time to be evaluated from ti to tf
%[0.0...etc] is the initial conditions

this next part is the function that is being called by ode45:

function df=stagnation(t,f)

dfdt = [

Of course it is not much, but that is why I need some help. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
for any input.

Hello,

It seems like you are working on a very interesting problem. Stagnation point flow is a classic problem in fluid mechanics and it is great that you are using MATLAB to solve it. Incorporating the Blasius equation and energy equation into your code is definitely the right approach.

To incorporate the boundary conditions of f'=0, f=0, theta=0, and phi=0, you can add them as additional equations in your function file. For example, your function file could look like this:

function df = stagnation(t,f)

dfdt = [f(2); %this is f'
-f(1)*f(3); %this is f''
f(3); %this is theta'
-2*f(3)/Pr*f(1)]; %this is theta''

%add the boundary conditions
df(1) = f(2); %f' = 0
df(2) = f(1); %f = 0
df(3) = f(3); %theta = 0
df(4) = f(4); %phi = 0

You can also add the conditions directly in the ode45 function call, like this:

[t,y] = ode45(@stagnation,tintval,[0.0 0.0 0.33206 0.0]);

This will set the initial conditions for f', f, theta, and phi to the values you specified.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your project!

for your time.Hi,

I am not an expert in this particular field, but I can offer some general advice. It looks like you are on the right track with using ode45 and incorporating the Blasius and Energy equations. In order to incorporate the boundary conditions, you can use the "events" option in ode45 to specify when the boundary conditions should be satisfied. You can do this by defining a function that evaluates the boundary conditions at each time step and then use that function in the "events" option of ode45.

As for the different values of Pr, you can create a loop that runs ode45 for each value of Pr and stores the results in separate arrays. This will allow you to plot the velocity and temperature profiles for each value of Pr.

Additionally, it may be helpful to consult with a subject matter expert or do some research on similar problems to gain a better understanding of the equations and how to incorporate them into your code.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

1. What is a stagnation point?

A stagnation point is a point in a flow field where the velocity of the fluid is zero. This occurs when the fluid is brought to rest by an obstacle or when the flow is redirected around a curved surface.

2. How is velocity profile at a stagnation point affected by Mach number?

The velocity profile at a stagnation point is directly affected by the Mach number, which is the ratio of the flow velocity to the speed of sound. At higher Mach numbers, the velocity profile will be more compressed and exhibit a steeper gradient. At lower Mach numbers, the velocity profile will be more uniform and exhibit a gradual change in velocity.

3. What is the relationship between stagnation temperature and stagnation pressure?

Stagnation temperature and stagnation pressure are directly related through the stagnation equation, which states that the stagnation pressure is equal to the static pressure plus the dynamic pressure. This means that as stagnation temperature increases, so does stagnation pressure.

4. How does the temperature profile at a stagnation point change with Mach number?

The temperature profile at a stagnation point is affected by the Mach number in a similar way to the velocity profile. At higher Mach numbers, the temperature profile will be more compressed and exhibit a steeper gradient. At lower Mach numbers, the temperature profile will be more uniform and exhibit a gradual change in temperature.

5. What are the applications of studying velocity and temperature profiles at a stagnation point?

Studying velocity and temperature profiles at a stagnation point is important in many fields, including aerodynamics, thermodynamics, and fluid mechanics. It can be used to analyze the behavior of fluids around obstacles or curved surfaces, and to understand the effects of different flow conditions on the fluid properties. This information can be applied to design more efficient and effective systems, such as aircraft wings or heat exchangers.