How Fast Does the Mass Travel After Falling 50cm?

In summary: So now the signs are correct, and the direction of motion is positive.Yes, the tension force on the mass m acts in the same direction as the force of gravity.
Okazaki

Homework Statement

A uniform cylindrical spool of mass M and radius R unwinds an essentially
massless rope under the weight of a mass m. If R = 12 cm, M = 400 gm and m = 50 gm, find the speed of m after it has descended 50 cm starting from rest.

Solve the problem twice: once using Newton's laws for torques, and once by application of energy conservation principles.

Homework Equations

I(spool) = (1/2)MR^2
τ = R * Fsin(90) (*it will be 90 degrees here due to the way the Gravitational Force pulls down)
τ = Iά
at = ά * R (tangential acceleration)
vf = sqrt(vi2 + 2at*Δx)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I used τ = R * Fsin(90) to come up with the torque (since I converted everything into meters and kilograms, my answer ended up being -5.88 x 10^-2 N-m)

Then, I basically plugged in values for I:
I = 0.5 * 0.4 kg * (0.12 m)^2 = 0.00288 kg m^2

After that, I thought about solving for ά. But ά is the angular acceleration, which is kind of useless in this case, since we're trying to find the velocity of mass m after is has fallen 50 cm. So I set
ά = τ/I = at / R

at = 0.12 m * -5.88 x 10^-2 N-m/0.00288 kg m^2 = -20.4 m/s^2,

and from here I used the equation: vf = sqrt(vi2 + 2at*Δx) and got -4.52 m/s

So, I honestly don't even know if I solved this problem right (more or less, where to even start if I was going to use conservation of energy principles to solve it again.) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, Okazaki. Welcome to PF.

Okazaki said:
So I used τ = R * Fsin(90) to come up with the torque (since I converted everything into meters and kilograms, my answer ended up being -5.88 x 10^-2 N-m)

What force produces the torque on the cylinder? Is it the tension in the string or is it the weight of mass m?

Likes Okazaki
TSny said:
Hello, Okazaki. Welcome to PF.
What force produces the torque on the cylinder? Is it the tension in the string or is it the weight of mass m?

Thanks. :)

I'm assuming it's the gravitational force, since the tension forces cancel out (I attached the related picture.)

Attachments

• physicsquestion.PNG
    physicsquestion.PNG
    3 KB · Views: 574
I don't think information on the masses and radius is very important since there is nothing like friction whatsoever. I attempted the question using Newton's laws of linear motion and got a final velocity of ~3.162m/s.

Likes Okazaki
Okazaki said:
I'm assuming it's the gravitational force, since the tension forces cancel out (I attached the related picture.)

When considering the forces that act on the cylinder alone, the tension force does not cancel. From the figure you can see that it's the tension force that acts on the rim of the cylinder that causes the cylinder to spin.

The tension is an unknown force. So, you will need to set up a second equation that contains the tension. Try applying Newton's second law to the mass on the end of the string.

TSny said:
When considering the forces that act on the cylinder alone, the tension force does not cancel. From the figure you can see that it's the tension force that acts on the rim of the cylinder that causes the cylinder to spin.

The tension is an unknown force. So, you will need to set up a second equation that contains the tension. Try applying Newton's second law to the mass on the end of the string.

But if you apply that, how are you supposed to find the acceleration of the object? Then, not only do you not know tension force, but you don't know acceleration either...

But you indicated that you know a relation between ##a## and ##\alpha##. That gives you a third equation for the three unknowns: ##T##, ##a##, and ##\alpha##.

Likes Okazaki
TSny said:
But you indicated that you know a relation between ##a## and ##\alpha##. That gives you a third equation for the three unknowns: ##T##, ##a##, and ##\alpha##.
So...then:

F = ma
a = (-mg - T)/m

and:

at = a = rά = (R * RTsin(90))/(0.5MR^2) = 2T/m (or is this M?)

So:

(-mg - T)/m = 2T/m
T = (-m^2*g)/(2m + m)
= -0.163 N

Then:
a = (-T - mg)/m
= (-0.163N - 0.49N)/0.05 kg ?

Okazaki said:
So...then:

F = ma
a = (-mg - T)/m

Are the signs correct? What direction are you choosing for the positive motion of m? Does the tension force on m act in the same direction as the force of gravity?

at = a = rά = (R * RTsin(90))/(0.5MR^2) = 2T/m (or is this M?)

OK. You're analyzing the cylinder. So, the mass is M, right?

(-mg - T)/m = 2T/m
T = (-m^2*g)/(2m + m)
= -0.163 N

Then:
a = (-T - mg)/m
= (-0.163N - 0.49N)/0.05 kg ?

Looks like the correct approach. Note that you get a linear acceleration greater than g, so something's wrong.
You will need to fix the signs in your F = ma equation for m.

Likes Okazaki
TSny said:
Are the signs correct? What direction are you choosing for the positive motion of m? Does the tension force on m act in the same direction as the force of gravity?
OK. You're analyzing the cylinder. So, the mass is M, right?
Looks like the correct approach. Note that you get a linear acceleration greater than g, so something's wrong.
You will need to fix the signs in your F = ma equation for m.

Yeah...It was supposed to be M (I don't know why I thought it was m), meaning
T = (Mmg)/(2m + M) = -0.392, so -T = 0.392.
The acceleration then works out to be -1.96 m/s^2, and from there I found a velocity of 1.4 m/s

And I did have a few sign errors (which I worked out.) Now, both answers work (since I got help and figured out how to analyze the problem with the conservation of energy approach.)

Thanks for the help!

OK, Good work!

Likes Okazaki

Related to How Fast Does the Mass Travel After Falling 50cm?

1. What is the definition of velocity and torque?

Velocity is defined as the rate of change of an object's position over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction. Torque is the measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis or pivot point.

2. How are velocity and torque related?

Velocity and torque are both related to an object's motion. Velocity describes the object's linear motion, while torque describes the object's rotational motion. The magnitude of torque is directly proportional to the object's mass, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the angular acceleration.

3. What is the formula for calculating torque?

The formula for calculating torque is T = F * r, where T is torque, F is the force acting on the object, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. Torque is measured in units of newton-meters (N*m).

4. How is torque affected by an object's center of mass?

The center of mass of an object is the point at which its mass is evenly distributed. When the center of mass is located at the axis of rotation, there is no torque. However, when the center of mass is located away from the axis of rotation, torque is produced and the object will rotate around the axis.

5. What real-life applications use velocity and torque?

Velocity and torque are used in various real-life applications, such as engineering, sports, and transportation. In engineering, they are used to design machines and structures that require precise motion and rotation. In sports, they are used to analyze and improve athletic performance. In transportation, they are used in the design and operation of vehicles, especially in the areas of acceleration, braking, and turning.