Velocity Calculation Contradiction

In summary, the conversation discusses designing an experiment to project an object horizontally and calculate the average horizontal distance, initial and final velocities using given equations. The attempted solution includes calculating the final velocity and time, but the discrepancy in the final velocity raises confusion. It is mentioned that velocity is not constant and acceleration should be taken into account.
MoeAlharbi

Homework Statement

I have to design an experiment where I am supposed to project an object horizontally from some point above ground level, measure the distances, calculate the average horizontal distance dx, then use that to calculate the initial and final velocities yatta yatta.
Anyway I made the height 2 m, got 4.62 m as the average horizontal distance and I want to get Vfy (y component of final velocity)

Homework Equations

Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad
a = (delta)V/t
V = d/t
where: Vf=final velocity, Vi=initial velocity, a=acceleration(9.8 m/s^2), t=time interval, d= distance

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't complete the calculations in the experiment because I can't get one value for Vfy

Vfy^2= Viy^2 + 2ad
Vfy = (sqrt)[0 + 2(9.8m/s2)(2m)]
= 6.261 m/s
great, now to find time:
a = (delta)V/t
t = (delta)V/a
= (6.261m/s)/(9.8 m/s2)
= 0.639 s

but when I use the time in this equation:
V = d/t
= (2 m)/(0.639s)
= 3.13 m/s
WHAT?! The same velocity is now half as small. How did this happen? Which one is the right value?
Something tells me I should just go along with the first one.

Oh by the way, Hi! :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
V = d/t is only valid when velocity is constant.

Lol I keep forgetting things like acceleration. Thanks btw :)

Related to Velocity Calculation Contradiction

1. What is velocity calculation contradiction?

Velocity calculation contradiction is a situation where there are conflicting values or results when calculating the velocity of an object.

2. How does velocity calculation contradiction occur?

Velocity calculation contradiction can occur due to various reasons such as incorrect measurements, human error, or limitations of the measuring equipment.

3. Can velocity calculation contradiction be avoided?

While it is not always possible to completely avoid velocity calculation contradiction, taking accurate measurements, using reliable equipment, and double-checking calculations can help minimize the chances of it occurring.

4. What are the consequences of velocity calculation contradiction?

The consequences of velocity calculation contradiction may vary depending on the situation. In some cases, it may lead to incorrect data analysis and conclusions, while in others, it may result in errors in predicting the motion of an object.

5. How can velocity calculation contradiction be resolved?

To resolve velocity calculation contradiction, it is important to identify the source of the contradiction and make necessary corrections. This may involve re-measuring, using different methods or equipment, or seeking assistance from other experts in the field.