Velocity of a Point on a Rolling Cylinder: Solving for the Center Velocity

In summary: R=p/2## from the previous posts. This is all i can think of?In summary, the conversation discusses finding the velocity intensity of a point on the circumference of a rolling cylinder without friction on a horizontal plane. The equations of motion in polar coordinates are given and the discussion delves into determining the velocity and acceleration using these equations. There is confusion about the origin of the coordinates and the angle used to measure motion. It is determined that the velocity of the point of contact with the ground is instantaneously stationary and the highest point on the circumference has a velocity of 2 times the velocity of the center of the cylinder.
doktorwho

Homework Statement

With the equations of motion in polar coordinates given by ##r(t)=pcos{kt^2}, φ(t)=kt^2## determine the velocity intensity of a point ##M## on the circumference of a cylinder which is rolling without friction on a horizontal plane at time ##t## is the velocity of the center of cylinder at time ##t## is ##v_c##

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I first drew a picture of a cylinder and noted that the angle ##φ## is the angle from the horizontal to the point ##M## and i need to use another angle which is more suited for this rolling motion and that would be the angle ##\theta## which is measured from the radius to the vertical.
From here ##\theta=2φ=2kt^2##. Since i know how the angle changes, i can calculate the angular velocity and acceleration. ##ω=\dot \theta = 4kt, α=\ddot \theta = 4k##. Since the function of ##r## is dependent only on ##cos(kt^2)## i gues what's in front must be the amplitude therefore the radius should be ##R=p/2##? Is this correct thinking?
The velocity and acceleration are ##v=wR=2pkt, a=Rα=2pk##, i can find the the ##a_n=8pk^2t^2## but how do i find the velocity at that point. Kinda stuck on that?

Physics news on Phys.org
doktorwho said:
the angle φ is the angle from the horizontal to the point M
Not following that.
Where is the origin for these coordinates? Seems like it must be moving at the same velocity as the centre of the circle, and r varies between 0 and p, so I guess the origin is, at each instant, the point of contact and p is the diameter. That makes the reference frame non-inertial.
It also makes φ the angle M and the circle's centre subtend at the point of contact.

haruspex said:
Not following that.
Where is the origin for these coordinates? Seems like it must be moving at the same velocity as the centre of the circle, and r varies between 0 and p, so I guess the origin is, at each instant, the point of contact and p is the diameter. That makes the reference frame non-inertial.
It also makes φ the angle M and the circle's centre subtend at the point of contact.
The problem does not have a diagram but i tried drawing it
image.jpg

doktorwho said:
The problem does not have a diagram but i tried drawing it
View attachment 110170
Ok, that's what I deduced about your view from what you wrote. But the equations say r=p cos(φ), so where is p in your diagram?
Seems to me φ should be the angle to the vertical and p is the diameter of the circle.

What is the angular velocity at time t? So what is vc as a function of t?

Likes doktorwho
haruspex said:
Ok, that's what I deduced about your view from what you wrote. But the equations say r=p cos(φ), so where is p in your diagram?
Seems to me φ should be the angle to the vertical and p is the diameter of the circle.

What is the angular velocity at time t? So what is vc as a function of t?
Well my function of ##r## is at its peak when ##cos{kt^2}=1## so the p is a diameter and ##R=p/2##, oh yeah so because of this the angle must be measure from the vertical so that the ##p## part is met? If the equation was ##r(t)=psin{kt^2}## then it would be like this right?
My angluar velocity is then, since the angle ##\theta## is now the twice of ##\phi##, ##w=4kt##. ##v_c## is constant at all times so it is not dependent on ##t##?

doktorwho said:
My angluar velocity is then, since the angle ##\theta## is now the twice of ##\phi##, ##w=4kt##. ##v_c## is constant at all times so it is not dependent on ##t##?
I meant to ask what this means:
doktorwho said:
cylinder which is rolling without friction
i wondered if that was a typo, and you meant without slipping (in which case vc is not constant).
It seems odd to describe it as rolling if it is slipping.

haruspex said:
I meant to ask what this means:

i wondered if that was a typo, and you meant without slipping (in which case vc is not constant).
It seems odd to describe it as rolling if it is slipping.
Yeah xD, it just rolls without slipping, wring words sorry. It rolls so the ##v_c## is constant. But still how does this relate to the velocity of some point on the circumference? Visualising it i would think that the points on the circumference must move faster than ##V_c##?

doktorwho said:
It rolls so the vc is constant.
No, you have an increasing rotation rate, so if it is not slipping vc must be increasing.

haruspex said:
No, you have an increasing rotation rate, so if it is not slipping vc must be increasing.
Lets imagine this. At some point in time the velocity of the center of the cyliner is ##v_c##. I then conclude that the velocity of the top of the cylinder (the hightest point) must also have the velocity ##+v_c## and the lowest point ( the one where the contact is ) must have the velocity ##-v_c##. Therefore the change ##-2v_c## so there must be a point of zero velocity in between. Regarding that in a angle form of our chosen system i would conclude that the velocity of the point on the circumference is ##v_p=v_c*cos{\theta}##. Does that seem correct and if not, what seems wrong?

Last edited:
doktorwho said:
I then conclude that the velocity of the top of the cylinder (the hightest point) must also have the velocity +vc
I do not understand your reasoning. Why would it have the same velocity? What you do know is that the point of contact with the ground is instantaneously stationary.

haruspex said:
I do not understand your reasoning. Why would it have the same velocity? What you do know is that the point of contact with the ground is instantaneously stationary.
Well then is the point of contact is stationary at time ##t## and the centers speed is ##v_c## at time ##t## the only reasonable image of this would be that the highest point has a velocity of ##2v_c##. Then all the other points on the circumference would have a velocity of ##v_p=2v_ccosθ## where ##cosθR=h-p/2##, ##h## is the height of the point measured from the ground. This case includes the uppmost velocity of the cylinder at point ##t## which is ##v_p=2v_ccos{\pi /2}## but not sure about the velocity when ##h=p/2##

Last edited:
doktorwho said:
where cosθ=h−p/2
You cannot mean that. h=p cos2θ?

haruspex said:
You cannot mean that. h=p cos2θ?
Sorry what i meant was ##R*cosθ=h-p/2## How did you get ##h=pcos^2{θ}##?

Last edited:
doktorwho said:
Sorry what i meant was ##R*cosθ=h-p/2## How did you get ##h=pcos^2{θ}##?
You did not define θ so I had to guess from your vp formula.
Instantaneously, the cylinder is rotating about what point? What is its rotation rate in terms of vc and p?

haruspex said:
You did not define θ so I had to guess from your vp formula.
Instantaneously, the cylinder is rotating about what point? What is its rotation rate in terms of vc and p?
Instantaneously, its rotating around the point of contact. Rotation rate? ##\frac{2v_c}{p}##? I am not sure what I am calculating now..

doktorwho said:
Instantaneously, its rotating around the point of contact. Rotation rate? ##\frac{2v_c}{p}##? I am not sure what I am calculating now..
Right, and right.
So if some point of the cylinder is at distance x from the point of contact with the ground, what is its speed?

haruspex said:
Right, and right.
So if some point of the cylinder is at distance x from the point of contact with the ground, what is its speed?
##\frac{2v_c}{p}*\frac{h}{cosθ}##?

Last edited:
doktorwho said:
##\frac{2v_c}{p}*\frac{h}{cosθ}##?
Right (again, guessing at your definition of θ), but you can express x in terms of θ and p, rather than θ and h.

Likes doktorwho

1. What is the "rolling cylinder problem"?

The "rolling cylinder problem" is a physics problem that involves a cylinder rolling down an inclined plane. It is often used as an example to demonstrate the relationship between rotational and translational motion.

2. What are the key variables in the rolling cylinder problem?

The key variables in the rolling cylinder problem are the mass of the cylinder, the radius of the cylinder, the angle of the incline, the coefficient of friction, and the initial velocity of the cylinder.

3. How do you calculate the acceleration of a rolling cylinder?

The acceleration of a rolling cylinder can be calculated using the formula: a = gsin(θ)/(1+(I/mr^2)), where g is the acceleration due to gravity, θ is the angle of the incline, I is the moment of inertia of the cylinder, m is the mass of the cylinder, and r is the radius of the cylinder.

4. What is the relationship between the rotational and translational motion in the rolling cylinder problem?

In the rolling cylinder problem, as the cylinder rolls down the inclined plane, it experiences both rotational and translational motion. The rotational motion is caused by the torque applied by the force of gravity, while the translational motion is caused by the force of gravity itself. The two motions are directly related through the moment of inertia and the radius of the cylinder.

5. How does friction affect the motion of a rolling cylinder?

Friction plays a significant role in the motion of a rolling cylinder. The coefficient of friction between the cylinder and the incline determines the amount of frictional force acting on the cylinder, which in turn affects its acceleration. If the coefficient of friction is high, the cylinder will experience more friction and will slow down more quickly. If the coefficient of friction is low, the cylinder will experience less friction and will roll further before coming to a stop.