Velocity of a slider connect to a wheel

In summary: I think the v_A you computed is correct (and the 5.18 is approximately the magnitude of the vector you are looking for) but the direction is not as you assumed. I think it is at an angle slightly less than 55 degrees below the horizontal. After you get the correct direction, the correct answer for ## v_B ## should be slightly greater than +4.954 m/sec.
Jonski

Homework Statement

problem.gif

A wheel of radius 42 mm is rolling without slipping and its centre O has a velocity 7.2 m/s in the direction shown.

The slider B is driven by the link AB and A is connected to the wheel.

If AC= 28.9 mm, AB= 73.9 mm and angle ACB= 73°, what is the velocity of the slider B? Take the right-hand side direction positive.

Homework Equations

va = vb + va/b
velocity at edge of circle in line with O = sqrt(2)*v
Vc = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
My initial thoughts are that B first has to move to the left as A is going to pull it rather than push. (So the answer will be negative)
I first constructed the triangle ABC, but without angle CAB or side CB, I don't know how to complete it.Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Suggestion is to try to determine the velocity vector for the point A. Do you see that the point A is going to be instantaneously moving in a circle centered at point C? Once you figure out how point A moves, go to point B and try relating the coordinates of B (to first order in ## \Delta t ## ) to the coordinates of A.

Would A be moving straight down as that would be perpendicular to OA?

Jonski said:
Would A be moving straight down as that would be perpendicular to OA?
The pivot point is at C and the radius is CA. The direction of ## v_A ## will be perpendicular to CA.

Charles Link said:
The pivot point is at C and the radius is CA. The direction of ## v_A ## will be perpendicular to CA.
Just an an additional comment is you could also treat the problem as the center at O translating at constant speed with the wheel rotating about O at a rate that will make it roll without slipping. Considering it as pivoting about point C is a shortcut that should get you the same answer.

Charles Link said:
Just an an additional comment is you could also treat the problem as the center at O translating at constant speed with the wheel rotating about O at a rate that will make it roll without slipping. Considering it as pivoting about point C is a shortcut that should get you the same answer.

So could I say that the instantaneous centre of OA is at C:
7.2/0.042 = 171.429 rad/s = Woa
Va = 171.429*0.0289 = 4.954 m/s
Then we can construct a right angle trigangle of Va, Vb and Va/b with angle 73 degrees. Then for Vb it would be Va/sin(73) = 5.18m/s => -5.18m/s (right is positive)
However, this is still wrong any tips on what I did incorrect.

First I recommend you express ## v_A ## as a vector with x and y components. Use C as your origin. Find the location of ## A ## coordinates (x,y) at time t=0. Then at time ## \Delta t ## , ## A'=A_0 +v_A \Delta t ##. Also write location ## B ## (at t=0) in terms of ## A ##, and then ## B' ## (at ## t=\Delta t ## ) in terms of ## A' ##. (Both of these steps are simple=uses Pythagorean theorem.) First get the exact expression for ## B' ## and then expand and simply keep first order term in ## \Delta t ##. Finally, ## B'-B=v_B \Delta t ##. ## \\ ## One helpful hint for the direction of ## v_A ## : CA is perpendicular to ## v_A ## and points in direction (unit vector) ## \hat{t}=\cos(\theta)\ \hat{i} +\sin(\theta) \hat{j} ##. The perpendicular to this is (unit vector) ## \hat{n}=\sin(\theta) \hat{i}-\cos(\theta) \hat{j} ## which will be your direction for ## v_A ##. (Notice that ## \hat{t} \cdot \hat{n}=0 ## ). ... editing... I agree with your result for the amplitude of ## v_A=4.954 \, m/sec ##, but unless the direction of ## v_A ## is horizontal, the computation for ## v_B ## is non-trivial. The method I presented above for finding ## v_B ## should work... editing... I did get an answer that I think is correct and it (edited=first time I didn't compute it precisely) just slightly greater than +4.954 m/s and in the "+" direction=to the right.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
First I recommend you express ## v_A ## as a vector with x and y components. Use C as your origin. Find the location of ## A ## coordinates (x,y) at time t=0. Then at time ## \Delta t ## , ## A'=A_0 +v_A \Delta t ##. Also write location ## B ## (at t=0) in terms of ## A ##, and then ## B' ## (at ## t=\Delta t ## ) in terms of ## A' ##. (Both of these steps are simple=uses Pythagorean theorem.) First get the exact expression for ## B' ## and then expand and simply keep first order term in ## \Delta t ##. Finally, ## B'-B=v_B \Delta t ##. ## \\ ## One helpful hint for the direction of ## v_A ## : CA is perpendicular to ## v_A ## and points in direction (unit vector) ## \hat{t}=\cos(\theta)\ \hat{i} +\sin(\theta) \hat{j} ##. The perpendicular to this is (unit vector) ## \hat{n}=\sin(\theta) \hat{i}-\cos(\theta) \hat{j} ## which will be your direction for ## v_A ##. (Notice that ## \hat{t} \cdot \hat{n}=0 ## ). ... editing... I agree with your result for the amplitude of ## v_A=4.954 \, m/sec ##, but unless the direction of ## v_A ## is horizontal, the computation for ## v_B ## is non-trivial. The method I presented above for finding ## v_B ## should work... editing... I did get an answer that I think is correct and it (edited=first time I didn't compute it precisely) just slightly greater than +4.954 m/s and in the "+" direction=to the right.
Additional comment=your answer ## v_B=+5.18 \, m/sec ## is close to the numerical answer I got, but your method of computing it from the ## v_A ## I believe is incorrect.

1. What is the velocity of a slider connected to a wheel?

The velocity of a slider connected to a wheel is the measure of how fast the slider is moving in relation to the wheel. It is usually measured in units of distance per time, such as meters per second or miles per hour.

2. How is the velocity of a slider connected to a wheel calculated?

The velocity of a slider connected to a wheel can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. This can be represented by the equation v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time.

3. Does the size of the wheel affect the velocity of the slider?

Yes, the size of the wheel can affect the velocity of the slider. A larger wheel will cover more distance in one rotation compared to a smaller wheel, resulting in a higher velocity for the slider. This is because the slider is moving along the circumference of the wheel.

4. Can the velocity of a slider connected to a wheel change?

Yes, the velocity of a slider connected to a wheel can change. It can change if the distance traveled changes or if the time it takes to travel that distance changes. Additionally, external factors such as friction or external forces can also affect the velocity of the slider.

5. How does the direction of motion affect the velocity of a slider connected to a wheel?

The direction of motion does not affect the velocity of a slider connected to a wheel. Velocity is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. However, the speed of the slider, which is the magnitude of the velocity, can change depending on the direction of motion.