Velocity of a steel ball bearing due to magnetic force

In summary: If the first bearing were the trigger for a Gauss rifle, the momentum of the trigger would transfer to the second bearing and the second bearing would accelerate.
jonc1258

Homework Statement

Find the final velocity of a 5g steel ball bearing being pulled by a neodymium magnet with a pull force of 6.1 pounds (27.1 Newtons) in a straight line on a frictionless surface after being pulled for .1 meters

Homework Equations

F=MA

The Attempt at a Solution

f=ma
27.1 = .05a
a = 542m/s^2
The bearing travels for .1 meters, which is 1.85E-4 as far as it will travel in the first second (if the above solution for acceleration is correct), so t must be 1.85E-4 seconds.
v = (.1 m)/(1.85E-4 s) = 542m/s

As you can probably see by how unrealistic the numbers I came up with are, I'm not sure what to do. Could you maybe think about this in terms of kinetic energy? I got to feeling that this problem is more complicated than I initially thought.

Physics news on Phys.org
jonc1258 said:
27.1 = .05a
How many g in a kg?
The bearing travels for .1 meters, which is 1.85E-4 as far as it will travel in the first second (if the above solution for acceleration is correct), so t must be 1.85E-4 seconds.
No, it doesn't work like that. What equation do you know relating distance, speed and uniform acceleration?

27.1 = .005a
a = 5420m/s^2

v[itex]^{2}_{f}[/itex] = v[itex]^{2}_{i}[/itex] + 2ad
v[itex]^{2}_{f}[/itex] = (0) + 2(5420)(.1)
vf^2 = [itex]\sqrt{1084}[/itex]
v=32.9m/s

Yes?

What if the first bearing were the trigger for a Gauss rifle?
http://sci-toys.com/scitoys/scitoys/magnets/gauss_rifle/ready_to_fire.jpg
If the second magnet was .1 meters in front of the first magnet and there was another bearing lying against the second magnet (like in the picture), wouldn't the momentum of the trigger transfer to the second bearing? And the second bearing would accelerate because of the force of the 3rd magnet in the setup, but wouldn't it be pulled back by the attraction of the second magnet?

jonc1258 said:
27.1 = .005a
a = 5420m/s^2

v[itex]^{2}_{f}[/itex] = v[itex]^{2}_{i}[/itex] + 2ad
v[itex]^{2}_{f}[/itex] = (0) + 2(5420)(.1)
vf^2 = [itex]\sqrt{1084}[/itex]
v=32.9m/s

Yes?
Yes.

Related to Velocity of a steel ball bearing due to magnetic force

1. What is the relationship between the velocity of a steel ball bearing and the magnetic force?

The velocity of a steel ball bearing is directly proportional to the magnetic force acting on it. This means that as the magnetic force increases, the velocity of the steel ball bearing also increases.

2. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the velocity of a steel ball bearing?

The stronger the magnetic field, the greater the force it exerts on the steel ball bearing. This results in a higher velocity for the steel ball bearing.

3. Can the velocity of a steel ball bearing be controlled by changing the strength of the magnetic field?

Yes, the velocity of a steel ball bearing can be controlled by adjusting the strength of the magnetic field. This is because the magnetic force acting on the steel ball bearing is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field.

4. What other factors can affect the velocity of a steel ball bearing due to magnetic force?

The mass and size of the steel ball bearing can also have an impact on its velocity when subjected to a magnetic force. A larger and heavier steel ball bearing will require more force to accelerate to a certain velocity.

5. Is the velocity of a steel ball bearing due to magnetic force affected by the direction of the magnetic field?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field can affect the velocity of a steel ball bearing. If the magnetic field is perpendicular to the motion of the steel ball bearing, it will experience a greater force and therefore a higher velocity. However, if the magnetic field is parallel to the motion, it will not have any effect on the velocity of the steel ball bearing.