Velocity of image in plane mirror

In summary, the mirror is moving to the right with a velocity of 15m/s, and an object is moving to the right with a speed of 5m/s. All speeds are wrt ground. Find the velocity of image wrt ground.
subhradeep mahata

Homework Statement

upload_2018-12-8_17-39-28.png

A mirror is moving to the right with a velocity 15 m/s, and an object is moving to the right with a speed of 5m/s. All speeds are wrt ground. Find the velocity of image wrt ground.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I present to you two probable solutions:
1) Using formula: VIMAGE=2VMIRROR-VOBJECT
Now, its a mere substitution problem. Using right as positive direction, we get the required velocity as 25m/s to the right.
2) This is a controversial one. I thought about this as i like to explore all the different correct of incorrect methods of a problem.
the above problem is equivalent to: the mirror is moving to the right with a velocity of 10m/s and the object is at rest. Now, substituting in the formula used in the previous method, VIMAGE=20m/s to the right.

Now, my book says that that the correct answer is 10m/s, but its not matching with any of my answers. Please check it and let me know why both are incorrect.

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-8_17-39-28.png
    upload_2018-12-8_17-39-28.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 767
Physics news on Phys.org
You could try making two scale drawings, one showing the starting position of the object, mirror and image, and another showing their positions after say 1 second. Figure out how far the image moved in that time.

Can you please tell me the correct answer?
Yeah, i'll try by that method.

PS: Book answers are sometimes wrong.

subhradeep mahata said:
Can you please tell me the correct answer?
Yeah, i'll try by that method.
Forum rules discourage us from giving the answer.

Likes subhradeep mahata
Sometimes changing your frame of reference can be helpful to clarify what is happening. Suppose you were an observer riding along with the mirror. What is the motion of the object from that point of view? Is it approaching or receding from you? How quickly?

Likes subhradeep mahata

What is the velocity of an image in a plane mirror?

The velocity of an image in a plane mirror is equal to the velocity of the object, as the image is simply a reflection of the object's movement.

Does the velocity of the image change when the object's velocity changes?

Yes, the velocity of the image will change if the object's velocity changes. This is because the image is a direct reflection of the object's movement.

Is the velocity of the image affected by the angle of incidence?

No, the velocity of the image is not affected by the angle of incidence. The image's velocity will always be equal to the object's velocity, regardless of the angle at which the object's light rays hit the mirror.

Does the distance between the object and the mirror affect the velocity of the image?

No, the distance between the object and the mirror does not affect the velocity of the image. The image will always have the same velocity as the object, regardless of the distance between them.

Can the velocity of the image be greater than the velocity of light?

No, the velocity of light is the fastest possible speed in the universe. Therefore, the velocity of the image in a plane mirror cannot be greater than the velocity of light.