Velocity of molecules in a gas

In summary, the three velocities in a gas (AV, MPV, RMSV) are all equal according to a symmetric probability distribution. However, in the case of the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution, which is asymmetric, the average velocity is larger than the most probable velocity. This is because the distribution is stretched further from the peak for speeds above the most probable value.
lando45
I am a little confused. I was talking to my teacher a couple days ago, and he asked me to put the following three into order of velocity (greatest first):

1. Average velocity of the molecules in a gas (AV)
2. Most probable velocity of the molecules in a gas (MPV)
3. RMS (root mean square) velocity of the molecules in a gas (RMSV)

Well, I thought that AV and MPV must be the same? Because surely the MPV is based upon the AV? And then the formula used to calculate RMSV is:

b686e5b7842b561a26457bbd3e34deef.png

So I figured this is greater than the other 2? So I said to him RMSV had the greatest velocity, and then AV and MPV had equal velocities, but he told me this was incorrect. Can anyone help me out? Are they all equal?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rms>av>mpv

ah thanks, that makes good sense. i did some more research and that's the answer that made most sense to me as well. thanks.

lando45 said:
I am a little confused. I was talking to my teacher a couple days ago, and he asked me to put the following three into order of velocity (greatest first):

1. Average velocity of the molecules in a gas (AV)
2. Most probable velocity of the molecules in a gas (MPV)
3. RMS (root mean square) velocity of the molecules in a gas (RMSV)

Well, I thought that AV and MPV must be the same? Because surely the MPV is based upon the AV? And then the formula used to calculate RMSV is:

Just a comment. For *symmetric* probability distributions, the average value and most probable value are equal. The MB distribution is asymmetric...From a graph it is clear that the average value is larger than the most probable value (which would corespond to the peak) because the distribution is ''stretched'' farther from the peak for speeds above the most probable value.

Patrick

The average velocity of a gas molecule = most probable velocity = 0.

The typical Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution function is for molecule SPEEDs,
which are never negative.

It's not so much that the distribution is "stretched" toward large speeds,
as that the negatives have been "folded over to +'ve" by Pythagoras.

Related to Velocity of molecules in a gas

1. What is the definition of velocity of molecules in a gas?

The velocity of molecules in a gas refers to the speed at which the molecules are moving in a random motion within the gas.

2. How is the velocity of molecules in a gas related to temperature?

The velocity of molecules in a gas is directly proportional to the temperature of the gas. As the temperature increases, the average velocity of the molecules also increases.

3. What factors affect the velocity of molecules in a gas?

The velocity of molecules in a gas is affected by temperature, pressure, and the mass of the molecules. Higher temperatures and lower pressures result in higher velocities, while heavier molecules have lower velocities.

4. How is kinetic energy related to the velocity of molecules in a gas?

The kinetic energy of a gas molecule is directly proportional to its velocity. This means that as the velocity increases, the kinetic energy also increases.

5. What is the average velocity of molecules in a gas?

The average velocity of molecules in a gas can be calculated using the root mean square velocity formula: vrms = √(3RT/M), where R is the gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and M is the molar mass of the gas.