Velocity of Motorist with Respect to Police Car at Intersection

In summary, two highways intersect with a police car 800 m west and a motorist 600 m north of the intersection, moving at 80 km/h and 60 km/h respectively. The velocity of the motorist with respect to the police car can be determined by subtracting the position vectors and differentiating the resulting equation. The direction of this velocity is compared to the line of sight between the two cars. If the cars maintain their velocities, the answers to both questions remain the same as they move closer to the intersection.
sylenteck0

Homework Statement

Two highways intersect. A police car P is 800 m west from the intersection and moving at 80km/h west. Motorist M is 600m north of the intersection and moving at 60 km/h south.
a) in the unit-vector notation, what is the velocity of the motorist with respect to the police car?
b) How does the direction of the velocity found in a) compare to the line of sight between the two cars
c) If the cars maintain their velocities, do the answers to A and B change as the cars move nearer to the intersection?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I'm assuming that we're going to use i and j, so I got this:
m= 0i+600mj p=800mi+0 j

Now, I'm unsure where I'm supposed to put the velocity of each car in. Or for that matter, how am I supposed to present the velocity of the motorist in respect to the police car? Am I just supposed to subtract the two vectors?

Physics news on Phys.org
sylenteck0 said:
Am I just supposed to subtract the two vectors?

Yes.
In other words, try to make the co-ordinates of the police car to 0,0 by subtracting each point by the position vector of police car.

So, that would give you the relative of motor.. relative to the car.
Now differentiate, and get the velocities equations.

I did this question like last week lol :smile:

you need to read the section prior to solving these questions, and I am assuming that you haven't. That halliday book provides good enough introduction to relative motions.

btw. this is the question from halliday? That's from where I did this question.

Yup. Thanks for the advice :)

I've tried subtracting the one vector from another, but I can't find a way to get the derivative; it always ends up as zero because there's no variable. What would serve as the variable in this case?

sylenteck0 said:
I've tried subtracting the one vector from another, but I can't find a way to get the derivative; it always ends up as zero because there's no variable. What would serve as the variable in this case?

but you are provided both velocities(or dx/dt).
so like dp/dt = something

So I could theoretically use the velocities in place of the coordinates themselves?

m= 0i+ 16.66m/s t j
p=22.22m/s t i+ 0 j

Something like that? I can see finding the derivative that way =P

Related to Velocity of Motorist with Respect to Police Car at Intersection

1. What is an Intersection Vector Problem?

An Intersection Vector Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the point of intersection between two or more vectors in a coordinate system.

2. Why is the Intersection Vector Problem important?

The Intersection Vector Problem has many applications in science and engineering, such as in physics, computer graphics, and navigation systems. It allows us to determine the position and direction of objects in relation to each other.

3. How do you solve an Intersection Vector Problem?

To solve an Intersection Vector Problem, you can use various methods such as algebraic equations, geometric constructions, or vector operations. It depends on the specific problem and the available information.

4. What are some common strategies for solving Intersection Vector Problems?

Some common strategies for solving Intersection Vector Problems include using the dot product or cross product of vectors, setting up and solving systems of equations, and using geometric concepts such as angles and distances.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Intersection Vector Problem?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of the Intersection Vector Problem. For example, it is used in GPS technology to determine the location of a device, in computer graphics to create 3D objects, and in physics to calculate the motion of objects in space.