Velocity of spring mass system with spring mass

In summary, the person is trying to figure out how to calculate the velocity of a mass in a spring-mass system with respect to distance. They have looked at it a couple different ways and are not sure if it is correct. They have come up with a equation that states: v=\sqrt{\frac{2*F*d}{m+Mc}}
Jwil
I am having a hard time figuring out how to calculate the velocity of a mass in a spring-mass system with respect to distance, where the spring has a mass to it. The spring would be a long steel cable and a force of 4000 lbs would be applied to the system along the line of action. The cable is assumed to be long enough that it can be assumed to have a constant force. I have looked at it a couple different ways but not sure if it is correct. What I have come up with is:

v=√(2*(F-Wc*Lc)*d/(m+(Mc*Lc)))

where,
v = velocity
F = input force
Wc = weight of cable/unit length
Lc = length of cable retracted
Mc = mass of cable/unit length
d = equals distance
m= mass of the mass (sorry that may be confusing)

I was trying to add the cable weight and mass to the system as it contracts. Am I on the right track? Or am I way over complicating this and the mass and weight of the cable can assume to be negligible?

I was starting to think I should use an integral to figure it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect the reason you haven't gotten any responses is because the questions is really confusing. Can you be explicit in exactly what you're asking?

Oh, and a tip, use the math script, it makes the math much easier to read, when you write it out in text, it makes it difficult to understand.

After reading it again today I can see how it would be confusing. I am trying to find velocity of the mass that is connected to a really long spring that also has mass. The spring is initially stretched with some known force F. The mass is then released with initial velocity being zero. How would I find the velocity of the mass at a given distance from its initial starting point?

V=[itex]\sqrt{\frac{2*F*d}{m+Mc}}[/itex]

I changed it from what I originally had because I realized I already factor in weight when I calculated the summation of forces at both ends. Also the spring and mass are oriented vertically and gravity is not neglected. Is that more clear or should I draw a picture?

1. What is a spring mass system?

A spring mass system is a physical system that consists of a mass attached to a spring, which is then attached to a fixed point. The mass is able to move back and forth along a straight line due to the force exerted by the spring.

2. How does the spring mass system behave?

The behavior of a spring mass system is governed by Hooke's law, which states that the force exerted by a spring on an object is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. This means that as the mass moves further away from its equilibrium position, the spring exerts a greater force on it, resulting in oscillatory motion.

3. What is the equation for the velocity of a spring mass system?

The equation for the velocity of a spring mass system is v = Aωcos(ωt + φ), where v is velocity, A is the amplitude of the oscillation, ω is the angular frequency, t is time, and φ is the phase angle.

4. How does the mass affect the velocity of the spring mass system?

The mass affects the velocity of the spring mass system by changing the period of oscillation. A larger mass will result in a slower oscillation, while a smaller mass will result in a faster oscillation. However, the amplitude of the oscillation will remain the same regardless of the mass.

5. What factors can affect the velocity of a spring mass system?

The velocity of a spring mass system can be affected by factors such as the mass of the object, the stiffness of the spring, the amplitude of the oscillation, and the initial conditions (i.e. the initial displacement and velocity of the mass). External forces, such as friction, can also affect the velocity of the system.