Velocity transformation from spherical to cartesian coords

In summary, the conversation discusses the transformation of coordinates from spherical to cartesian and the issue of calculating the total velocity using Pythagoras' theorem. The correct formula for calculating velocity in spherical coordinates is given as ##|v| = \sqrt{\dot{r}^2+(\dot{\theta} r)^2+(sin(\theta) \dot{\phi} r)^2}## and it is mentioned that the longitude diameter is 2πr while the latitude diameter depends on the longitude.
Stollaxel Stoll
I cant't figure out how to transform ##\dot{r}##, ##\dot{\theta}##, ##\dot{\phi}## in spherical coordinates to ##\dot{x}##, ##\dot{y}##, ##\dot{z}## in cartesian coordinates (the dot is Newton's notation for the first time-derivative which is the angular velocity and velocity).

I have no trouble transforming the coordinates, but if I try ##\sqrt{\dot{r}^2+(\dot{\theta} r)^2+(\dot{\phi} r)^2}## I get the wrong total velocity if adding up the components by Pythagoras. Any ideas why this doesn't work, and even more important, how it works instead?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Stollaxel Stoll said:
but if I try ##\sqrt{\dot{r}^2+(\dot{\theta} r)^2+(\dot{\phi} r)^2}## I get the wrong total velocity if adding up the components by Pythagoras. Any ideas why this doesn't work, and even more important, how it works instead?

The Wikipedia article is overloaded with unnecessary complicated notation. You just forgot to that the longitude diameter is 2πr, but the latitude diameter depends on the longitude so change your Pythagoras to ##|v| = \sqrt{\dot{r}^2+(\dot{\theta} r)^2+(sin(\theta) \dot{\phi} r)^2}##

1. What is the formula for converting velocity from spherical to cartesian coordinates?

The formula for converting velocity from spherical to cartesian coordinates is vx = v sinθ cosφ, vy = v sinθ sinφ, and vz = v cosθ, where v is the magnitude of the velocity vector, θ is the polar angle, and φ is the azimuthal angle.

2. What is the difference between spherical and cartesian coordinates?

Spherical coordinates use a radius, polar angle, and azimuthal angle to describe a point in 3D space, while cartesian coordinates use x, y, and z coordinates to describe a point. Spherical coordinates are often used in physics and engineering, while cartesian coordinates are more commonly used in mathematics.

3. Why do we need to convert velocity from spherical to cartesian coordinates?

In some cases, it may be more convenient to work with spherical coordinates, but the equations or problem may require cartesian coordinates. Converting velocity from spherical to cartesian coordinates allows us to use the appropriate equations or solve the problem more easily.

4. Can velocity be converted from cartesian to spherical coordinates?

Yes, velocity can also be converted from cartesian to spherical coordinates using the formula v = √(vx2 + vy2 + vz2) for magnitude, θ = tan-1(√(vx2 + vy2) / vz) for polar angle, and φ = tan-1(vy / vx) for azimuthal angle.

5. What are some real-world applications of converting velocity from spherical to cartesian coordinates?

Converting velocity from spherical to cartesian coordinates is used in many fields, including astronomy, physics, and engineering. For example, in astronomy, it may be used to calculate the trajectory of a satellite in orbit. In physics, it may be used to analyze the motion of a particle in a 3D space. In engineering, it may be used to design and optimize the movement of machines and vehicles.