Conserved Quantity Along Affine Parameter

In summary, we discussed the Lagrangian in usual Schwarzschild coordinates and found that the coordinates for t, ϕ, and λ do not appear in the Lagrangian, leading to three conserved quantities: E, L, and Q. While E and L are physically meaningful as conserved energy and angular momentum, Q is not as it only serves to make λ an affine parameter. Different values of Q correspond to different scalings for λ and can be arbitrarily chosen. By inserting the other constants of motion into Q, we can derive the equation of motion for r, which is similar to the classical Newtonian equation with some additional terms.
TL;DR Summary
What is the meaning/interpretation of the conserved quantity along the affine parameter in the Schwarzschild spacetime
In the usual Schwarzschild coordinates the Lagrangian can be written: $$\mathcal{L}= \frac{\dot r^2}{1-\frac{2M}{r}} - \left( 1- \frac{2M}{r} \right) \dot t^2 + r^2 \dot \phi^2$$ where all derivatives are with respect to a (affine) parameter ##\lambda##, and where for convenience I have considered units such that ##c=G=1## and coordinates such that ##\theta = \pi/2## so everything is in the equatorial plane.

Inspecting the Lagrangian we see that ##t##, ##\phi##, and ##\lambda## do not appear. So we have three easy conserved quantities: $$ E=\left( 1-\frac{2M}{r} \right) \dot t^2$$ $$ L=r^2 \dot \phi $$ $$Q = \frac{\dot r^2}{1-\frac{2M}{r}}-\left( 1-\frac{2M}{r} \right) \dot t^2 + r^2 \dot \phi^2$$

I understand that ##E## is interpreted as a conserved energy and ##L## is interpreted as a conserved angular momentum. But what is ##Q##?

It is conserved, but it isn't apparent to me what it is. I also am not sure if it is useful. I can solve for ##\dot t## in terms of ##E## and for ##\dot \phi## in terms of ##L## and use those to simplify my geodesics. But I don't see anything similar to be done for ##Q##.

Physics news on Phys.org
Conservation of the squared 4-velocity. Essentially the affine parameter requirement.

Oh, so it just is the condition in these coordinates that makes ##\lambda## into an affine parameter instead of some generic parameter.

I guess then that different values for ##Q## correspond to different scalings for the affine parameter. So the value of ##Q## can be arbitrarily and freely selected and is not physically meaningful like ##E## or ##L##.

Dale said:
I guess then that different values for ##Q## correspond to different scalings for the affine parameter. So the value of ##Q## can be arbitrarily and freely selected and is not physically meaningful like ##E## or ##L##.
The standard choice would of course be ##Q =-1## or 0 (the latter for light-like geodesics). Note that ##Q = \mathcal L##.

Inserting the other constants of motion into ##Q## gives the typical effective equation of motion for ##r## which is very reminiscent of the classical Newtonian one (with some additions).

Likes Dale and malawi_glenn
Dale said:
But what is ?
##Q## is just the Lagrangian itself. Would we ever expect the parameter ##\lambda## to appear in the Lagrangian?

Likes Dale and malawi_glenn
Orodruin said:
Note that ##Q = \mathcal L##
PeterDonis said:
##Q## is just the Lagrangian itself
Embarrassingly, I didn't even notice that.

PeterDonis said:
Would we ever expect the parameter ##\lambda## to appear in the Lagrangian?
No. This is part of what confused me. I can easily think of Lagrangians without conserved energy or angular momentum, but not ##Q##. I guess it is unsurprising that I could not think of a Lagrangian without a Lagrangian. :doh:

Likes malawi_glenn
Orodruin said:
Inserting the other constants of motion into ##Q## gives the typical effective equation of motion for ##r## which is very reminiscent of the classical Newtonian one (with some additions).
Interesting. So I get $$ \frac{r^3 \left(\dot r^2-E^2\right)-2 L^2 M+L^2 r}{r^2 (r-2 M)}=-1 $$ I could solve that for ##\dot r## to get a first-order differential equation that seems useful. Otherwise, even with the conserved quantities, the original Euler equations gives me a second-order differential equation for ##r##.

This is from my GR lecture notes:
1658328140871.png

In essence, you find the Newtonian equation of motion with time replaced by proper time and the additional term caused by ##\alpha## (your ##Q##, essentially a constant term) and the additional term caused by the cross term of the angular momentum barrier with the Newtonian potential.

Edit: Note that I also defined ##E## differently ...
1658328341267.png

This choice is obviously just to reproduce the similarity to the Newtonian equation.

Edit 2: You should find the same if you replace ##E^2 \to 2E## and solve for ##\dot r^2/2##.

• Informative
Likes vanhees71 and Dale
Dale said:
Oh, so it just is the condition in these coordinates that makes ##\lambda## into an affine parameter instead of some generic parameter.

Yes, that's the great thing when choosing the "squared form" of the Lagrangian. Your parameter is automatically affine since ##Q=\text{const}## means that ##g_{\mu \nu} \dot{q}^{\mu} \dot{a}^{\nu}=\text{const}##. If you have massive particle, you can choose this to be ##c^2##, and your affine parameter is the proper time of the particle. You can of course also choose ##Q=0## for a massless particle.

Likes Dale

What is the concept of "Conserved Quantity Along Affine Parameter"?

Conserved Quantity Along Affine Parameter is a principle in physics that states that certain quantities, such as energy or momentum, remain constant along a specific type of parameter known as an affine parameter. This principle is often used in the study of space-time and is closely related to the concept of conservation laws.

What is an affine parameter?

An affine parameter is a type of mathematical parameter that is used to describe the path of an object in space-time. It is defined as a linear combination of coordinates and is often used in the study of curved space-time, such as in general relativity.

How does the concept of "Conserved Quantity Along Affine Parameter" relate to conservation laws?

The principle of Conserved Quantity Along Affine Parameter is closely related to the concept of conservation laws in physics. These laws state that certain physical quantities, such as energy or momentum, cannot be created or destroyed, but only transferred or transformed. This principle states that these quantities remain constant along an affine parameter, providing a mathematical framework for understanding conservation laws.

What are some examples of quantities that are conserved along an affine parameter?

Some commonly studied quantities that are conserved along an affine parameter include energy, momentum, and angular momentum. These quantities are important in understanding the behavior of objects in space-time and are often used in various physical theories and models.

Why is the principle of "Conserved Quantity Along Affine Parameter" important in physics?

The principle of Conserved Quantity Along Affine Parameter is important in physics because it provides a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of objects in space-time. It allows us to make predictions and calculations about the conservation of important physical quantities and is essential in many physical theories and models, such as general relativity.