Velocity vs Speed (What's more relevant here?)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the terms "velocity" and "speed" in a problem involving constant acceleration in 1D motion. The author questions whether the answer should include velocity or speed, but it is determined that they can be used interchangeably in this case. The issue of direction is also raised, but it is assumed that the direction of the particle's initial movement will serve as the positive reference frame.
Slimy0233
Homework Statement
5. A particle starts from rest with a constant acceleration.
At a time t second, the speed is found to be 100 m/s and
one second later the speed becomes 150 m/s. Find (a) the

acceleration and (b) the distance travelled during the
(t+1)th second.
Relevant Equations
##v = {a}{t}##
1687489071900.png
This is a famous book in India. I was wondering if one could say if the answer should include velocity or speed. I mean, I don't think there are any details which hint at velocity. We are gives speed in the question and we are asked to find out the distance traveled, this hints we are asked to calculate speed, not velocity. Is it right for the author to calculate velocity (I don't think the calculations makes sense for velocity)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Slimy0233 said:
I was wondering if one could say if the answer should include velocity or speed.
"speed" is fine within the context of the problem. One assumes the "constant acceleration" is linear, so its speed is just the magnitude of the velocity.
I mean, I don't think there are any details which hint at velocity.
You mean like the first sentence in the problem statement ?

hmmm27 said:
"speed" is fine within the context of the problem. One assumes the "constant acceleration" is linear, so its speed is just the magnitude of the velocity.

You mean like the first sentence in the problem statement ?
Constant acceleration is the reason why the author wrote velocity instead of speed. I mean, in this case (due to constant acceleration) both are equal. PS: This is motion in 1d, but even with 1d there's a problem of which direction it's moving in. Since it's constant acceleration, it has to move in only one direction.

> You mean like the first sentence in the problem statement ?

No, I meant they had asked us to calculate the distance travelled. So, I thought, they are asking us the speed (they are, but speed = vel here as you know, so we don't really care what we call it)

edit: Thank you for your help! I consider this solved :)

In this case speed and velocity can be used interchangeably. That's because the particle starts from rest which means that at all times the velocity and the acceleration are in the same direction. The possibility that the particle reverses direction between ##t## and ##t+1~##(s) is excluded.

Likes MatinSAR, Slimy0233, PeroK and 1 other person
Slimy0233 said:
So, I thought, they are asking us the speed (they are, but speed = vel here as you know, so we don't really care what we call it)
Well, since the problem doesn't explicitly state the direction, we don't know how it lines up with a theoretical pre-established reference frame.

Fair enough, technically

But, without further information/sneakiness, "in the direction it started off at" seems a reasonable assumption to use as a positive reference.

Last edited:
Likes Slimy0233

1. What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they actually have different meanings. Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

2. Which one is more important, velocity or speed?

The importance of velocity or speed depends on the context. In some situations, speed may be more relevant, such as in a race where the goal is to reach the finish line as quickly as possible. In other situations, velocity may be more important, such as in navigation where the direction of movement is crucial.

3. Can an object have a high velocity but a low speed?

Yes, an object can have a high velocity but a low speed. This can occur when an object is moving at a constant speed in a circular motion, such as a car on a racetrack. The car's velocity is constantly changing as it moves in a circular path, but its speed remains the same.

4. How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the displacement (change in position) of an object by the time it takes to travel that distance. The equation for velocity is v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is displacement, and Δt is time.

5. Why is it important to understand the difference between velocity and speed?

Understanding the difference between velocity and speed is important because it allows us to accurately describe and analyze the motion of objects. It also helps us make informed decisions in various situations, such as driving a car or navigating a spacecraft.