Venn Diagram Question: How many whales were surveyed?

In summary, there were 23 whales surveyed. 17 dislike at least one of the three things (giant squids, pollution, Captain Ahab). There are 3 whales that dislike Captain Ahab but don’t dislike giant squids. 15 whales dislike either giant squids or pollution.
beans91
I am finding it hard to interpret this question.

4 dislike pollution but don’t s dislike giant squids and don’t dislike Captain Ahab

This part of text I do not know what to do with do I just add 4 to the 19 who also don't like pollution?

Also The value for the whales which dislike pollution and Captain Ahab is 3 but the the value for all 3 actors disliking everything is 6.

This will leave me with a minus value 3-6 = - 3 is this right do I subtract minus three from both the total pollution and Captain Ahab?

Q3. A number of whales were asked about things that they dislike. 20 dislike giant squids

6 dislike giant squids and pollution and Captain Ahab

23 dislike Captain Ahab

4 dislike pollution but don’t s dislike giant squids and don’t dislike Captain Ahab

11 dislike Captain Ahab and giant squids

3 dislike pollution and Captain Ahab but don’t dislike giant squids

19 dislike pollution

4 have no dislikes

A. How many whales were surveyed?

B. How many dislike at least one of those three things?

C. How many dislike Captain Ahab but don’t dislike giant squids?

D. How many dislike giant squids or pollution?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello, and welcome to MHB! :)

Here is the Venn diagram I came up with:

mhb_0014.png

I began on the inside and worked my way out.
  1. 6 dislike giant squids and pollution and Captain Ahab - this tells me to put 6 in the intersection of all 3 sets.
  2. 11 dislike Captain Ahab and giant squids - this tells me there can only be 5 that only dislike Ahab and Squids since 6 are already accounted for in step 1.
  3. 3 dislike pollution and Captain Ahab but don’t dislike giant squids - this tells me 3 go into the intersection of Pollution and Ahab alone.
  4. 4 dislike pollution but don’t s dislike giant squids and don’t dislike Captain Ahab - this tells me 4 goes into pollution alone.
  5. 19 dislike pollution - this tells me 6 must go into the intersection of Squids and Pollution alone.
  6. 20 dislike giant squids - this tells me 9 must go into Squids alone.
  7. 23 dislike Captain Ahab - this tells me 9 must into Ahab alone.
  8. 4 have no dislikes - this tells me 4 go outside of all 3 sets.
Can you now answer the questions?

Great thank you so much I could not figure out how to find x brilliant!

Geeze. The least they could do is make an interesting narrative out of that.. Captain Ahab commanding an army of giant squids to fight pollution?

MarkFL said:
Hello, and welcome to MHB! :)

Here is the Venn diagram I came up with:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/9808

I began on the inside and worked my way out.
  1. 6 dislike giant squids and pollution and Captain Ahab - this tells me to put 6 in the intersection of all 3 sets.
  2. 11 dislike Captain Ahab and giant squids - this tells me there can only be 5 that only dislike Ahab and Squids since 6 are already accounted for in step 1.
  3. 3 dislike pollution and Captain Ahab but don’t dislike giant squids - this tells me 3 go into the intersection of Pollution and Ahab alone.
  4. 4 dislike pollution but don’t s dislike giant squids and don’t dislike Captain Ahab - this tells me 4 goes into pollution alone.
  5. 19 dislike pollution - this tells me 6 must go into the intersection of Squids and Pollution alone.
  6. 20 dislike giant squids - this tells me 9 must go into Squids alone.
  7. 23 dislike Captain Ahab - this tells me 9 must into Ahab alone.
  8. 4 have no dislikes - this tells me 4 go outside of all 3 sets.
Can you now answer the questions?
“20 dislike giant squids - this tells me 9 must go into Squids alone.” but when i add up the numbers in the squids circle (9, 7, 6, 5) it’s coming up to more than 20 so how is it 9 ?

liltingchloe said:
“20 dislike giant squids - this tells me 9 must go into Squids alone.” but when i add up the numbers in the squids circle (9, 7, 6, 5) it’s coming up to more than 20 so how is it 9 ?

it’s not ... should be 3, 6, 6, 5 (I don’t see a 7)

Mark was probably thinking about the dislike Captain Ahab total. It happens to all of us.

good catch

skeeter said:
it’s not ... should be 3, 6, 6, 5 (I don’t see a 7)

Mark was probably thinking about the dislike Captain Ahab total. It happens to all of us.

good catch
typo error should be 6* but yes thank you

liltingchloe said:
typo error should be 6* but yes thank you

like I said ... “it happens” ;)

1. How do you read a Venn diagram?

A Venn diagram is read by starting at the center and moving outwards. The overlapping areas represent the similarities between the categories, while the non-overlapping areas represent the differences.

2. How many circles are typically used in a Venn diagram?

A Venn diagram can have two or more circles, depending on the number of categories being compared. However, for a simple comparison of two categories, two circles are typically used.

3. What does each circle in a Venn diagram represent?

Each circle in a Venn diagram represents a category or group being compared. The overlapping area represents the similarities between the categories, while the non-overlapping areas represent the differences.

4. How is data represented in a Venn diagram?

Data is represented in a Venn diagram by using circles or other shapes to visually display the relationships between categories. The size of the circles can also be used to represent the proportion or quantity of data in each category.

5. How can a Venn diagram be used to analyze data?

A Venn diagram can be used to analyze data by visually identifying the similarities and differences between categories. It can also help to identify any patterns or relationships between the categories, making it a useful tool for data analysis.