Venturi tube to suck steam from hut

In summary, the speaker is designing a vertical venturi tube to pull steam from a perpendicular duct and is concerned about the motor capacity needed to overcome the increase in static pressure. They are advised to consider the fan performance curve, un-recoverable pressure drop, and other pressure losses to determine the necessary motor size. It is also suggested to check that the pressure at the throat of the venturi is enough to generate the desired steam flow rate.
panix001
Hi All,

I am designing a vertical venturi tube to be inserted into a 18" piece of ductwork in order to pull steam generated in a 12'' perpendicular duct. I would like to reduce the diameter from 18'' to 6'' at which point i will tie in the 12'' perpendicular duct (nozzled down in size) in which steam will be pulled from the hut. After a short distance the 6'' diameter will be expanding back out to the original 18" (done at a angle of 15 degrees or less). The fan currently attached at the bottom of the 18'' vertical duct work pushes about 4800 CFM with a 10hp 3 phase induction motor. My concern is that I will need a bigger motor to overcome the increase in static pressure and was wondering if anyone had any advise on calculating how much larger (if necessary) my motor would need to be? Also any other design advise on a venturi would be extremely helpful. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would look at the fan performance curve, un-recoverable pressure drop in the venturi, and your other pressure losses. Then you can figure out the point on the fan curve you will be operating and your fan brake power. Then knowing your motor efficiency, you can see if your 10 hp motor is sufficient. At the same time, check that the pressure at the throat of the venturi for your fan curve operating point flow is enough to generate the steam flow rate you need.

1. What is a Venturi tube?

A Venturi tube is a device used to measure the flow of a fluid, such as steam, by creating a pressure difference in a pipe. It consists of a tapered tube with a constriction in the middle, which causes the fluid to accelerate and the pressure to decrease.

2. How does a Venturi tube work to suck steam from a hut?

The Venturi effect, which is the decrease in pressure when a fluid flows through a constricted section of a pipe, creates a vacuum. This vacuum then draws the steam from the hut into the Venturi tube and towards the outlet.

3. What are the benefits of using a Venturi tube to suck steam from a hut?

One benefit is that the Venturi tube is a low-cost and simple solution for removing steam from a hut. It also does not require any external power source, making it a sustainable option. Additionally, the Venturi tube can be easily installed and maintained.

4. Are there any limitations or considerations when using a Venturi tube for this purpose?

Yes, there are a few limitations to consider when using a Venturi tube to suck steam from a hut. The size of the Venturi tube must be appropriate for the amount of steam being produced. It is also important to ensure that the outlet of the Venturi tube is placed in a safe location to prevent any potential hazards.

5. Can a Venturi tube be used for other applications besides sucking steam from a hut?

Yes, a Venturi tube can be used for various applications, such as measuring water flow in pipes, controlling the flow of air in HVAC systems, and mixing fluids in chemical processing. It is a versatile and widely used device in the field of fluid dynamics.