Venus' temperature, radiation values and altitude

In summary, the conversation discusses using the temperature values of Venus to calculate the power per square meter using the Stefan-Boltzmann law. It also mentions the importance of considering the emissivity of the surface material.
Natalie Johnson
Hi,

I have a list of measured temperature values of Venus at altitudes from several missions to the planet. This temperature is a combination of outgoing thermal emission from the planet, incoming thermal emission from the sun and any chemical reactions going on in the atmosphere.

Can I use the temperature value at each altitude and plug it into Stefen-Boltzman law to get the power per metres squared at each spatial point with temperature because each point acts as a source of electromagnetic radiation?

Below I am assuming irradiance, exitance or emittance (however you want to call it) can be equated to the stefan-boltzman law so I can obtain irradiance, exitance or emittance from temperature. I assume irradiance, exitance and emittance can be somewhat similar because regardless of whether the radiation is incoming or outgoing on an area, its the same power value for a specific area.

Irradiance, Emittance or Exitance = Φ / Area = σ T4 [Wm-2]

Φ = radiant flux or radiant power
σ = Stef-Boltz constant
Also would it be an okay approximation to assume emissivity of 1 or do I need the emissivity at each altitude for this to work?

Please can someone offer advice (this is not homework)

Science news on Phys.org
ThanksYes, you can use the temperature values at each altitude and plug them into the Stefan-Boltzmann law to get the power per square meter. It would be an okay approximation to assume an emissivity of 1, as long as you take into account the emission from the sun in the equation. However, if you want more accurate results, you will need to take the emissivity of the surface material into consideration.

1. What is the average temperature on Venus?

The average temperature on Venus is around 864 degrees Fahrenheit (462 degrees Celsius). This makes it the hottest planet in our solar system, even hotter than Mercury which is closer to the sun.

2. Why is Venus so hot?

Venus is so hot because of its thick atmosphere that traps heat from the sun, creating a greenhouse effect. This means that the heat from the sun is unable to escape, causing the planet to retain its heat and become extremely hot.

3. What is the highest recorded temperature on Venus?

The highest recorded temperature on Venus is 870 degrees Fahrenheit (465 degrees Celsius), which was measured by the Soviet Venera 9 and 10 spacecraft in 1975.

4. How does Venus' temperature vary throughout the day?

Unlike Earth, Venus does not have a day and night cycle. Its slow rotation, which takes 243 Earth days, causes the temperature to remain fairly constant throughout the day. However, there are slight variations due to the planet's thick clouds and atmospheric circulation.

5. What is the radiation level on Venus?

The radiation level on Venus is extremely high due to its proximity to the sun and its lack of a protective magnetic field. The surface of the planet is bombarded with intense levels of ultraviolet radiation, making it inhospitable for life as we know it.