Calculating Heat Transfer (Thermal Radiation) to a Shipping Container

In summary, the person is attempting to calculate the thermal radiation heat transfer to a shipping container that is painted white in order to size an air conditioner for equipment. They have tried two different equations, one based on the Stefan-Boltzmann Constant and the other using nominal irradiance and the roof area, but have been told that both are invalid. They are seeking help to find a reasonable approximation for this application and are open to feedback on their approach.
thomas82
Hello,

I am trying to calculate the thermal radiation heat transfer to a shipping container which would be painted white.

The purpose is to size an air conditioner for equipment, not living conditions. I have already calculated heat from the other sources. The desired internal temperature is 30 degrees.

The container has dimensions 4.636 m x 2.591 m x 2.438 m (There is an internal wall) which implies three sections could face the sun at any given time, for a maximum surface area of 29.6 m2

On my first attempt I used an equation based on the Stefan-Boltzmann Constant:

Q = ε σ (Th4 – Tc4) A

The amount I calculated was 1953 W, But I've been told this equation is invalid in this context.

On my second attempt I used the nominal irradiance and just the roof area. I used an emissivity value of 0.4.

800 W/m2 x 11.2m2 x 0.4 = 3584 W

This value is very high and the process is hugely simplistic given that I'm ignoring solar geometry and the specifics of the location entirely. Also, the intention is not to remove all the heat, but I can't figure out how to separate it into a component which would allow for 30 degrees worth of heat to remain.

Can anyone direct me to a site (or provide the step by step equations) that could lead to a reasonable approximation for this application? You're also welcome to comment on how I've approached the problem.

Thank you,

Thomas

Science news on Phys.org
This is why HVAC engineers were created. They do calculations like this every day. Find an HVAC engineer and make him/her happy.

1) How do you calculate heat transfer to a shipping container?

To calculate heat transfer to a shipping container, you need to know the surface area of the container, the temperature difference between the container and its surroundings, and the thermal conductivity of the materials used in the container. You can then use the formula Q = (A)(ΔT)(k), where Q is the amount of heat transferred, A is the surface area, ΔT is the temperature difference, and k is the thermal conductivity.

2) What is thermal radiation?

Thermal radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves. It does not require a medium, such as air or water, to transfer heat and can occur through a vacuum. Thermal radiation is responsible for the warmth felt from the sun and the heat emitted from a fire.

3) How does the color of a shipping container affect heat transfer?

The color of a shipping container can affect heat transfer because different colors absorb and reflect heat differently. Darker colors, such as black, absorb more heat and therefore experience more heat transfer than lighter colors, such as white, which reflect more heat.

4) Can insulation be used to reduce heat transfer to a shipping container?

Yes, insulation can be used to reduce heat transfer to a shipping container. Insulation works by trapping air pockets, which are poor conductors of heat, to create a barrier between the container and its surroundings. This reduces the temperature difference and therefore decreases the amount of heat transferred.

5) What are some factors that can affect heat transfer to a shipping container?

Some factors that can affect heat transfer to a shipping container include temperature difference, surface area, thermal conductivity of materials, insulation, and the presence of any barriers or obstructions that may affect the transfer of heat. Weather conditions, such as wind and humidity, can also impact heat transfer to a shipping container.