Verify My IVP Help Appreciated!

• MHB
  • Thread starter shamieh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ivp
In summary, the given conversation discusses a solution to the IVP $y''-y=e^t$, $y(0)=0$, $y'(0)=1$. The solution provided by one person is incorrect as it only satisfies the DE and one initial condition. The correct general solution is found and the parameters are determined by using the initial conditions. Finally, the correct solution is obtained.
shamieh
Need someone to verify that my solution is correct, thanks in advance.

Solve the IVP $y'' - y = e^t$, $y(0) = 0$, $y'(0) = 1$

Solution: $\frac{1}{2}te^t + \frac{1}{2}e^t - \frac{1}{2}e^{-t}$

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, your solution solves the DE and the first initial condition, but not the initial condition involving the derivative. I get, for your solution, that $y'(0)=\tfrac32$. Can you show your steps?

$y_h = C_1e^t + C_2e^{-t}$ and I know that $y_p = \frac{1}{2}te^t$

so $y(0) = C_1 + C_2$ and $y'(0) = C_1e^t - C_2e^{-t}$

so
$C_1 + C_2 = 0$
$+$
$C_1 - C_2 = 1$

$C_2 = -1/2$ and $C_1 = 1/2$

so $y_p + y_h = \frac{1}{2} t e^t + \frac{1}{2}e^t - \frac{1}{2}e^{-t}$

So is my solution correct?

shamieh said:
So is my solution correct?

You posted the same solution as in your initial post, which you have already been told is incorrect. :D

You should have found the general solution to the given ODE is:

\(\displaystyle y(t)=c_1e^t+c_2e^{-t}+\frac{t}{2}e^{t}\)

And so we find:

\(\displaystyle y'(t)=c_1e^t-c_2e^{-t}+\frac{1}{2}e^{t}(t+1)\)

Now, to determine the parameters, we use the initial conditions:

\(\displaystyle y(0)=c_1+c_2=0\)

\(\displaystyle y'(0)=c_1-c_2+\frac{1}{2}=1\implies c_1-c_2=\frac{1}{2}\)

Thus, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle \left(c_1,c_2\right)=\left(\frac{1}{4},-\frac{1}{4}\right)\)

Thus, the solution satisfying the given conditions is:

\(\displaystyle y(t)=\frac{1}{4}e^t-\frac{1}{4}e^{-t}+\frac{t}{2}e^{t}=\frac{1}{4e^t}\left((2t+1)e^{2t}-1\right)\)

Oh now I see what you all are saying Mark. I did not put the particular solution with the homogeneous solution & took the derivative incorrectly. Gonna re-work the problem. Thanks so much.

Ahh I got the correct solutuion. Thank you

Last edited:

1. What is an IVP?

An IVP stands for initial value problem. It is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding a function that satisfies a given differential equation and a set of initial conditions.

2. Why is it important to verify an IVP?

Verifying an IVP is important because it ensures that the solution obtained is correct and satisfies all the given conditions. It also allows for the identification of any errors or mistakes in the solution process.

3. How is an IVP verified?

To verify an IVP, one must first solve the given differential equation using appropriate methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or using an integrating factor. The solution is then checked by substituting it into the original equation and verifying that it satisfies all the initial conditions.

4. What are the possible errors when solving an IVP?

There are several potential errors that can occur when solving an IVP. These include mathematical errors, such as incorrect integration or algebraic mistakes, as well as errors in the initial conditions or differential equation itself. It is important to carefully check each step of the solution process to identify and correct any errors.

5. What resources can I use to help verify my IVP?

There are many resources available to help with verifying an IVP. These include online calculators, textbooks, and math forums where you can ask for assistance from other mathematicians or scientists. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or professor can also be beneficial in verifying an IVP.