Verify Quadratic Equation

In summary,The equation given is a quadratic equation in two variables. The values of A and B can be used to solve for the unknown variables.
mathdad
Let A and B be the roots of the quadratic equation

ax^2 + bx + c = 0. Verify each statement below.

1. A + B = -b/a

2. AB = c/a

I need help getting started for parts 1 and 2. I will do the math.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
RTCNTC said:
Let A and B be the roots of the quadratic equation

ax^2 + bx + c = 0. Verify each statement below.

1. A + B = -b/a

2. AB = c/a

I need help getting started for parts 1 and 2. I will do the math.
You can do it by hand:
\(\displaystyle A = \frac{-b + \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a}\)

\(\displaystyle B = \frac{-b - \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a}\)

Add them together and you get A + B = -b/a. And you can do the multiplication for the second part. If you run into troubles, of course feel free to post us.

-Dan

topsquark said:
You can do it by hand:

Add them together and you get A + B = -b/a. And you can do the multiplication for the second part. If you run into troubles, of course feel free to post us.

-Dan

I get it. Thanks.

I think it is simpler just to compare [tex]a(x- A)(x- B)[/tex] with [tex]ax^2+ bx+ c[/tex]. Multiply the first and compare coefficients.

HallsofIvy said:
I think it is simpler just to compare [tex]a(x- A)(x- B)[/tex] with [tex]ax^2+ bx+ c[/tex]. Multiply the first and compare coefficients.

The word WITH is covering your LaTex.

RTCNTC said:
The word WITH is covering your LaTex.

For the record, on a mobile device the fonts are typically increased in size automatically.
However, the MathJax that we use to render our formulas doesn't know about this, meaning that inline latex isn't resized to match.
It's only on mobile devices that inline latex is a problem. On tablets or laptops this problem does not occur. Latex on separate lines does not have this problem either.

I like Serena said:
For the record, on a mobile device the fonts are typically increased in size automatically.
However, the MathJax that we use to render our formulas doesn't know about this, meaning that inline latex isn't resized to match.
It's only on mobile devices that inline latex is a problem. On tablets or laptops this problem does not occur. Latex on separate lines does not have this problem either.

I do not have a laptop or computer.

RTCNTC said:
I do not have a laptop or computer.

On my mobile device the problem is a bit less in landscape mode, meaning the inline latex formulas are at least usually more or less readable.

I like Serena said:
On my mobile device the problem is a bit less in landscape mode, meaning the inline latex formulas are at least usually more or less readable.

Good for you. Let's get back to math.

RTCNTC said:
Good for you. Let's get back to math.

In all fairness, and I don't mean to be antagonistic at all, you brought up the issue again that inline LaTeX is a problem on your device. It would be unreasonable to expect the community at large to suddenly change our posting styles, developed over many years, to suit mobile devices, when most of us posting help are using PCs.

I like Serena was just trying to help by giving you a suggestion to minimize the issue. I have found him to know what he's talking about, whenever he talks. :D

I like everyone here. Let's get back to math.

topsquark said:
You can do it by hand:

-Dan

Question:

Can I use the values of A and B in your reply to this question to show as given below?

1. A^2 + B^2 = (b^2 - 2ac)/(a^2)

2. 1/A^2 + 1/B^2 = (b^2 - 2ac)/(c^2)

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is a mathematical equation that contains one or more terms in which the variable is raised to the power of two. It can be written in the form ax² + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants.

2. How do you verify a quadratic equation?

To verify a quadratic equation, you need to substitute the given values for a, b, and c into the equation and solve for x. Then, plug the solutions back into the original equation to check if they satisfy the equation.

3. What is the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula is a useful tool for solving quadratic equations. It is written as x = (-b ± √(b²-4ac)) / 2a, where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the quadratic equation ax² + bx + c = 0.

4. Can all quadratic equations be verified?

Yes, all quadratic equations can be verified as long as they are written in the standard form ax² + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are real numbers.

5. Why is it important to verify a quadratic equation?

Verifying a quadratic equation is important because it ensures that the given equation is correct and that the solutions obtained are valid. It also helps to identify any mistakes made in the process of solving the equation.