Verifying Duderstadt & Hamilton's Eqs. (4-134) & (4-137) in Nuclear Transport

In summary, the conversation discusses Eqs. (4-134) and (4-137) in the textbook by Duderstadt and Hamilton, which show that the integrals over 4π of certain components of OMEGA equal 4π/3 and 0, respectively. This is related to the derivation of the diffusion equation from the neutron transport equation, and the second integral is affected by the symmetry of the solid angle. The speaker suggests looking back in the text for information on manipulating solid angle.
bamaguy
Show by direct calculation that Eqs. (4-134) and (4-137) in the textbook by Duderstadt and Hamilton hold, i.e.:(a) ∫ dΩΩiΩj= 4π/3 δij; i,j = x,y,z;
4π(b) ∫ dΩΩxΩyΩz = 0, if l, m, or n is odd.

The integrals are over 4π.

This is part of the derivation of the diffusion equation from the neutron transport equation. Part (b) from D&H Next note that the integral of the product of any odd number of components of OMEGA vanishes by symmetry.

(a) I think that 4π/3 comes from the volume of the sphere and δij is the kronecker delta. I don't know how to show this mathematically.
(b)
I think that this has to do with the sin or cos function.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not volume. Omega is solid angle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_angle

I don't have the textbook you cite. So it's a little difficult to follow the question. You should read back in the text to see if they don't do something on solid angle and how to manipulate it.

What are Duderstadt & Hamilton's Eqs. (4-134) & (4-137)?

Duderstadt & Hamilton's Eqs. (4-134) & (4-137) are mathematical equations that describe the transport of particles in a nuclear reactor. Eq. (4-134) deals with the transport of neutrons, while Eq. (4-137) deals with the transport of gamma rays.

Why is it important to verify these equations?

Verifying these equations is important for ensuring the accuracy and validity of nuclear transport calculations. These equations are fundamental to understanding the behavior of particles in a nuclear reactor and any errors in their formulation could lead to incorrect results.

How can these equations be verified?

These equations can be verified through various methods such as analytical solutions, numerical simulations, and experimental data. By comparing the results obtained from these different methods, we can determine the accuracy of the equations and identify any discrepancies.

What are the implications of verifying these equations?

Verifying these equations can have significant implications in the field of nuclear transport. It can lead to a better understanding of the behavior of particles in a nuclear reactor, which can ultimately improve the safety and efficiency of nuclear power plants.

Are there any limitations to these equations?

Like any mathematical model, these equations have their limitations. They are based on simplifying assumptions and may not account for all the complexities of nuclear transport. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the applicability of these equations in different scenarios.