Verifying Fluid Dynamics Equation

Thanks again.In summary, using the summation convention, the equation vj∂jvi=∂i(1/2*v2)-εijkvjωk,where ωk=εklm∂lvm can be simplified to vj∂jvi=∂i(1/2*v2)-2εijkvj∂ivj-εijkvj∂ivj.
ICSunSpots
1. Verify that vjjvi=∂i(1/2*v2)-εijkvjωk,where ωkklmlvm

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused on how to proceed with this problem up to this point I have decomposed ωk into Curl(v). Which leaves vj X Curl(v). Decomposing this leaves vmivm-vllvi. I am stuck on where to go from here. How do I get rid of the ]=∂i(1/2*v2) term? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

ICSunSpots said:
1. Verify that vjjvi=∂i(1/2*v2)-εijkvjωk,where ωkklmlvm

Hi ICSunSpots! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Hint: ∂i(1/2*v2) = vjivj, isn't it? :wink:

i(1/2*v2) = vjivj

Thank you for your reply. That would certainly make my solution thus far work.
However,
I am fairly new to index notation. Can you explain to me in vector notation what vjivj means? I understand the ]∂ivj term, but what does the vector vj in front of it do? Thanks.

ICSunSpots said:
i(1/2*v2) = vjivj

Thank you for your reply. That would certainly make my solution thus far work.
However,
I am fairly new to index notation. Can you explain to me in vector notation what vjivj means? I understand the ]∂ivj term, but what does the vector vj in front of it do? Thanks.

I'm using the summation convention … repeated indices are added over all possible basis values.

So v2 = vjvj,

and so ∂iv2 = ∂i(vjvj) = (∂ivj)vj + vj(∂ivj) = 2vjivj :smile:

Great! It's clear as day now. This index notation is really neat stuff, it just takes a little bit for it to be intuitive. Thank you for your help, I can now finish the problem.

Related to Verifying Fluid Dynamics Equation

1. What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of fluids (liquids and gases) when they are in motion or at rest. It involves understanding how fluids flow, how they interact with their surroundings, and how they are affected by various forces.

2. Why is it important to verify fluid dynamics equations?

Verifying fluid dynamics equations is important because it helps ensure the accuracy and reliability of the equations in predicting the behavior of fluids. It also allows for the identification and correction of any errors or inconsistencies in the equations, which is crucial for making accurate predictions and conducting further research.

3. How are fluid dynamics equations verified?

Fluid dynamics equations are typically verified through experimental testing and comparison with real-world data. This involves conducting experiments in controlled environments and collecting data on fluid behaviors, then comparing the results with the predictions made by the equations. Additionally, mathematical and computational methods can also be used to verify the equations.

4. What are some common challenges in verifying fluid dynamics equations?

Some common challenges in verifying fluid dynamics equations include accurately accounting for all the variables and factors that can affect fluid behavior, dealing with complex and nonlinear equations, and ensuring the validity and accuracy of experimental data. Another challenge is the potential for discrepancies between theoretical predictions and real-world observations.

5. What are the implications of inaccurate fluid dynamics equations?

Inaccurate fluid dynamics equations can have significant consequences in various fields, such as engineering, meteorology, and oceanography. They can lead to incorrect predictions, design flaws, and failed experiments, which can have safety, financial, and environmental implications. Therefore, it is crucial to verify and continuously improve fluid dynamics equations to ensure their reliability and usefulness in various applications.