Fluid Dynamics: Dimensional Analysis and important forces

In summary: The pressure difference is due to the height of the liquid above the atmosphere. If you are thinking a...a syringe, then the hydrostatic force is due to the pressure difference between the liquid inside the syringe and the atmosphere outside the syringe. The pressure difference is due to the height of the liquid above the atmosphere.
K41
I am stuck on the questions, 5.3.10 and 5.3.11 which are part of a chapter on dimensional analysis in fluid mechanics by Streeter.

Question 5.3.10 (see also the attachment):
It asks me for the given fluid dynamic problems, where is the inertial force not important. It lists several fluid dynamics situations including spillway crest, open channel transition, waves against a sea wall, capillary tube and flow through a half opened valve.

Solution?
I generally understand the inertial force as the resultant force acting on a specific mass, due to applied forces such as pressure, gravity and viscosity. So I don't really understand how the resultant force can ever be "unimportant". The book also mentions that the Froude number is important for free surface flows, but this is not clear to me. I don't understand why is gravity important for free surface flows?

Question 5.3.11 (see also the attachment):
A similar question, asking me to identify which forces are important for laminar flow between closely spaced parallel plates. The forces are inertial, viscous, pressure and gravity.

Solution?
For this I suspect viscous force are important, because of the small, but very large gradients which may be created due to a boundary layer on the edge of each plate, not sure what else though?

There aren't any solutions provided for these questions.

Attachments

• IMG_20170623_131604.jpg
    IMG_20170623_131604.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_20170623_134448.jpg
    IMG_20170623_134448.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
K41 said:
I am stuck on the questions, 5.3.10 and 5.3.11 which are part of a chapter on dimensional analysis in fluid mechanics by Streeter.

Question 5.3.10 (see also the attachment):
It asks me for the given fluid dynamic problems, where is the inertial force not important. It lists several fluid dynamics situations including spillway crest, open channel transition, waves against a sea wall, capillary tube and flow through a half opened valve.

Solution?
I generally understand the inertial force as the resultant force acting on a specific mass, due to applied forces such as pressure, gravity and viscosity. So I don't really understand how the resultant force can ever be "unimportant". The book also mentions that the Froude number is important for free surface flows, but this is not clear to me. I don't understand why is gravity important for free surface flows?

Question 5.3.11 (see also the attachment):
A similar question, asking me to identify which forces are important for laminar flow between closely spaced parallel plates. The forces are inertial, viscous, pressure and gravity.

Solution?
For this I suspect viscous force are important, because of the small, but very large gradients which may be created due to a boundary layer on the edge of each plate, not sure what else though?

There aren't any solutions provided for these questions.
The inertial force is what we usually refer to as that associated with mass times acceleration. So, in cases where the mass times acceleration is zero (or very small compared to other forces in the system, so that the other forces are virtually in equilibrium), we say that the inertial forces are negligible. For example, if you have steady flow of a very viscous fluid in a tube, the pressure forces are balanced by the viscous forces, and the inertial forces are zero. Another example is hydrostatic equilibrium of a fluid in a vertical tube, where we have a balance of pressure forces and gravitational forces.

Likes scottdave
Chestermiller said:
The inertial force is what we usually refer to as that associated with mass times acceleration. So, in cases where the mass times acceleration is zero (or very small compared to other forces in the system, so that the other forces are virtually in equilibrium), we say that the inertial forces are negligible. For example, if you have steady flow of a very viscous fluid in a tube, the pressure forces are balanced by the viscous forces, and the inertial forces are zero. Another example is hydrostatic equilibrium of a fluid in a vertical tube, where we have a balance of pressure forces and gravitational forces.

Thanks, I still don't see how one can decide where it is in near equilibrium though. Why in a capillary tube for instance, are pressure forces important? Where do they come from in that case?

K41 said:
Thanks, I still don't see how one can decide where it is in near equilibrium though. Why in a capillary tube for instance, are pressure forces important? Where do they come from in that case?
Hydrostatic, assuming there is a free surface involved.

Likes K41
Chestermiller said:
Hydrostatic, assuming there is a free surface involved.

Ah yes, I guess so. I think I was thinking about a syringe so I was thinking the hydrostatic forces would be so small (since syringes are very small). Why does the hydrostatic force need a free surface however?

K41 said:
Ah yes, I guess so. I think I was thinking about a syringe so I was thinking the hydrostatic forces would be so small (since syringes are very small). Why does the hydrostatic force need a free surface however?
If you are thinking a syringe, then you have a balance between pressure and viscous forces.

1. What is dimensional analysis and how is it used in fluid dynamics?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical tool used to analyze the relationships between different physical quantities. In fluid dynamics, it is used to simplify complex equations and determine the key variables that affect the behavior of a fluid system. This allows for easier comparison and prediction of fluid behavior in different scenarios.

2. What are the important forces in fluid dynamics?

The three most important forces in fluid dynamics are gravity, pressure, and viscosity. Gravity acts as a driving force for fluid movement, while pressure is responsible for changes in fluid velocity and direction. Viscosity, on the other hand, is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow, and it plays a crucial role in determining the type of flow (laminar or turbulent).

3. How do these forces affect the behavior of fluids?

Gravity affects the vertical movement of fluids, causing them to flow from high to low elevations. Pressure differences result in fluid movement from areas of high pressure to areas of low pressure. Viscosity determines the level of friction between fluid layers, which can affect the overall flow and turbulence of the system.

4. How does dimensional analysis help with scaling in fluid dynamics?

Dimensional analysis is used to identify the key parameters that affect fluid behavior, allowing for the scaling of physical systems. By creating dimensionless numbers, such as Reynolds number and Froude number, researchers can compare and predict fluid behavior on different scales, from microscopic to macroscopic.

5. What are some practical applications of fluid dynamics and dimensional analysis?

Fluid dynamics and dimensional analysis are used in various fields, including aerospace engineering, meteorology, and oceanography. They can help in designing efficient aircraft and ships, predicting weather patterns, and understanding ocean currents. They are also useful in the development of medical devices and the design of chemical and industrial processes.