Vertical Axis Wind Turbine Design Questions

In summary, user defined variables can result in more power output than the available wind, but the calculations are difficult and no one wants to wade through the code. The user has trouble getting the power output they want and needs help.
lanew
Hello All,

I'm currently in the process of designing a numerical model for a vertical axis wind turbine, more specifically, a straight blade giromill. I'm currently having trouble because depending on the variables I choose, I can produce more power than available from the wind.

My Calculations are based off the following diagrams:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/851/selection002y.png/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/31/selection003r.png/

I can post the code (MATLAB), but I'm sure no one wants to sift through that, but here's my design methodology:

User Defined Variables:
Airfoil (NACA00XX)
Wind Speed, [itex]U[/itex]
Tip Speed Ratio, [itex]\lambda[/itex]
Chord, [itex]c[/itex]
Radius, [itex]R[/itex]
Number of Blades, [itex]N[/itex]
Change in Azimuthal Position, [itex]d\theta[/itex]
Swept Area, [itex]A[/itex]

From these variables, I have a loop that iterates [itex]\theta[/itex], the azimuthal position, and calculated the following variables each time:

Chord Velocity
[itex]V_c=U(\lambda+\cos(\theta)[/itex]

Normal Velocity
[itex]V_n=U\sin(\theta)[/itex]

Angle of Attack
[itex]\alpha=\arctan\left(\frac{V_n}{V_c}\right)[/itex]

Relative Wind Speed
[itex]W=\sqrt{V_c^2+V_n^2}[/itex]

Coefficient of Lift and Drag
Calculated using XFoil

Tangential Force Coefficient
[itex]C_t=C_l\sin(\alpha)-C_d\cos(\alpha)[/itex]

Normal Force Coefficient
[itex]C_n=C_l\cos(\alpha)+C_d\sin(\alpha)[/itex]

Tangential Force
[itex]F_t=\frac{C_t \rho c h W^2}{2}[/itex]

Normal Force
[itex]F_n=\frac{C_n \rho c h W^2}{2}[/itex]

As I said, the above variables are calculated for every [itex]\theta_i[/itex]. Once the loop is finished, the following variables are calculated:

Average Tangential Force
[itex]\bar{F}_t=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{i=0}^{2\pi} F_t(\theta) \mathrm{d}\theta[/itex]
Numerical Approximation
[itex]\bar{F}_t=\frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^n F_t[/itex]

Total Torque
[itex]T=N\bar{F}_tR[/itex]

Total Power
[itex]P=T\omega[/itex]

I have checked the numbers individually, and my [itex]\alpha[/itex]'s range from [itex]0-13^{\circ}[/itex], [itex]C_l[/itex] and [itex]C_d[/itex] range from [itex]-1.8-1.8[/itex], [itex]C_t[/itex] from [itex]0-0.34[/itex], and [itex]C_n[/itex] from [itex]0-1.22[/itex].

For some reason, if I choose parameters such as:

NACA0015
[itex]U=4.5\,m/s[/itex]
[itex]\lambda=5[/itex]
[itex]c=0.5\,m[/itex]
[itex]R=1.0\,m[/itex]
[itex]h=10\,m[/itex]
[itex]N=3[/itex]

I get a power output of:
[itex]P=10\,kW[/itex]

However, I don't believe I should be getting more than:
[itex]P_{max}=\frac{\rho AU^3}{2}[/itex]

Can someone please help me? I'm pulling my hair out here. If the code would actually help, let me know and I can try and post it.

Thanks So Much.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I am unfamiliar with this type of device. Could you post a picture of what you are working on? What is the tip speed ratio and swept area?

I do have a question about your use of xfoil. In order to get a Cd I assume you are running it in viscous mode. What Reynolds number are you inputting? Because if your Reynolds number is really low, which I imagine it will be at least during part of the rotation cycle if U=4.5m/s, then Xfoil will likely have problems at the high angles of attack.

Certainly, here is a picture of the general idea:
http://www.manufacturer.com/upload/product/6414997/Vertical+Axis+Wind+Turbine+Generator_0_detail.jpg . The swept area has been fixed at [itex]A=20\,m^2[/itex]. I need to optimize the dimensions given this area.

As I mentioned, I don't think my AoA is too high, it maxes out at about [itex]\alpha=13^{\circ}[/itex] (depending on the Tip Speed Ratio). Does this seem too high for low Reynolds?

I've been using Tip Speed Ratios of [itex]\lambda=3[/itex] to [itex]\lambda=5[/itex] for initial testing. This results in relative velocities of [itex]W=9[/itex] to [itex]W=18[/itex] when [itex]\lambda=3[/itex], and [itex]W=18[/itex] to [itex]W=27[/itex] when [itex]\lambda=5[/itex].

My Reynolds number [itex]\left(Re=\frac{Wc}{\nu}\right)[/itex] for [itex]\lambda=3[/itex] ranges from [itex]Re=5.1e5[/itex] to [itex]Re=7.6e5[/itex].

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does a vertical axis wind turbine work?

Vertical axis wind turbines (VAWTs) have blades that rotate around a vertical axis, as opposed to the horizontal axis of traditional wind turbines. The blades are shaped like aerofoils and use the principle of lift to capture the kinetic energy of the wind and convert it into rotational motion. This motion is then used to generate electricity through a generator.

2. What are the advantages of using a vertical axis wind turbine?

VAWTs have several advantages over traditional horizontal axis wind turbines. They are more compact and can be installed in areas with limited space. They also have a lower center of gravity, making them more stable and less affected by strong winds. Additionally, VAWTs can capture wind from any direction, making them more efficient in turbulent wind conditions.

3. What are the key design considerations for a vertical axis wind turbine?

When designing a VAWT, factors such as blade shape, blade length, and placement of the turbine in relation to buildings and other structures must be taken into account. The shape of the blades affects the turbine's performance, and longer blades can capture more wind energy. The placement of the turbine also plays a role in its efficiency, as it should be positioned to receive the maximum amount of wind.

4. How do you determine the optimal size of a vertical axis wind turbine for a specific location?

The size of the VAWT is determined by the amount of wind energy available in a particular location. This can be determined by conducting a wind resource assessment, which involves measuring the wind speed and direction at the desired location. Other factors that may influence the size of the turbine include the energy needs of the area and any local regulations or restrictions.

5. How can vertical axis wind turbines be made more efficient?

There are several ways to improve the efficiency of VAWTs. One method is to optimize the blade design to increase the amount of wind energy captured. Another approach is to use a gearbox or other mechanisms to increase the rotational speed of the turbine, which can then be used to generate more electricity. Additionally, placing the turbine at a higher elevation or in an area with consistent and strong winds can also improve its efficiency.