Vertical flight with air resistance

In summary, the total time of flight for a ball without air resistance is given by T = 2v_0/g. With air resistance, the acceleration on the way up is a_U = g_a+g = (g/10)+g = (11g/10) (acting down), while on the way down it is a_D = g-(g/10) = (9g/10) (also acting down). The time of flight on the way up with air resistance is T'_U = (10/11) (v_0/g) and the height scaled on the way up is H = (5v_0^2)/(11g). When travelling this height down, the time taken by
brotherbobby
Homework Statement
A ball is thrown vertically up with some initial velocity. If the resistance due to air (air drag) creates an additional acceleration equal to a tenth of the acceleration due to gravity (##g = 10\; \text{m/s}^2##) :
(a) calculate the percentage change in the ball's total time of flight,
(b) argue whether the ball takes more or less time to be in flight due to air resistance.
Relevant Equations
Total time of flight for a ball thrown vertically up with a velocity ##v_0## is ##T = \frac{2v_0}{g}## where ##g## is the acceleration due to gravity.
drag.png
I suppose the trick in this question is to realize that the drag acts in opposite directions when the ball ascends and descends and that the ball actually takes less time to rise and more time to fall than normally. I make a small sketch of the problem alongside.

Attempt : The total time of flight in free space : ##T = \frac{2v_0}{g}##.
On its way up in air, ##T'_{\text{up}} = \frac{v_0}{g+g_a} = \frac{v_0}{g+\frac{g}{10}} = \frac{v_0}{\frac{11g}{10}} = \frac{10 v_0}{11 g}##.
On its way down in air, ##T'_{\text{down}} = \frac{v_0}{g-g_a} = \frac{v_0}{g-\frac{g}{10}} = \frac{v_0}{\frac{9g}{10}} = \frac{10 v_0}{9 g}##.
Total time of flight in air : ##T' = \frac{10v_0}{g} \left(\frac{1}{9} + \frac{1}{11}\right) = \frac{10v_0}{g} \frac{20}{99} = \frac{200}{99} \frac{v_0}{g}##.
Difference in times : ##\Delta T = T'-T = \frac{v_0}{g}\left( \frac{200}{99} - 2 \right) = \frac{2}{99} \frac{v_0}{g} = \frac{1}{99}T##.

(a) The percentage change in the ball's time of flight : ##\Delta T##% = ##\frac{\Delta T}{T}\times 100 = \frac{100}{99} = \boxed{1.01\%}##.

(b) The ball takes more time in flight due to air resistance since ##T'>T##. Of course it travels the same distance either way. It takes less time to rise and a greater time to fall than without air resistance - facts which are both counter intuitive. Exactly as to why ##T'>T## qualitatively, I do not know. Clearly the (absolute value) of acceleration on its way up (##\frac{11g}{10}##) exceeds ##g## by a value ##\left(\frac{g}{10} \right)## which is the same as the amount by which ##g## exceeds it on its way down : ##g-\frac{9g}{10} =\frac{g}{10}##. By that argument, the two times should make up when they add and the ball should have the same times of flight with or without air, but it does not.

Any help would be welcome. I suppose I have got the body of the argument correct, but not the tricky bit towards the end where I can't explain why is ##T'>T## qualitatively.

Physics news on Phys.org
brotherbobby said:
The ball takes more time in flight due to air resistance since . Of course it travels the same distance either way.
Part (a) is good.
In (b) what does "either way" mean? Are you saying that, if thrown with the same initial velocity, the ball will rise to the same height regardless of whether there is resistance or not?

You could easily visualize what is happening, by plotting height versus time and velocity versus time graphs.

In part (a) you miscalculated the time for the down trip with air resistance. When you wrote ##T'_{\text{down}} = \frac{v_0}{g-g_a} = \frac{v_0}{g-\frac{g}{10}} = \frac{v_0}{\frac{9g}{10}} = \frac{10 v_0}{9 g}##, you assumed that the ball that starts from maximum height with speed zero will reach the ground with the same speed as the launching speed ##v_0##. Does that sound right?

Likes Lnewqban
kuruman said:
In part (a) you miscalculated the time for the down trip with air resistance. When you wrote ##T'_{\text{down}} = \frac{v_0}{g-g_a} = \frac{v_0}{g-\frac{g}{10}} = \frac{v_0}{\frac{9g}{10}} = \frac{10 v_0}{9 g}##, you assumed that the ball that starts from maximum height with speed zero will reach the ground with the same speed as the launching speed ##v_0##. Does that sound right?
Yes, the ball starts from maximum height with speed 0. Let's see based on what I have done, what would its final speed be. ##v_F = (g-g_a)T'_{\text{down}} =\frac{9g}{10} \times \frac{10v_0}{g} = v_0!##. Sorry, no that doesn't sound right : ##v_F < v_0## by reason. I'd have to rethink my solution. Many thanks.

brotherbobby said:
Yes, the ball starts from maximum height with speed 0. Let's see based on what I have done, what would its final speed be. ##v_F = (g-g_a)T'_{\text{down}} =\frac{9g}{10} \times \frac{10v_0}{g} = v_0!##. Sorry, no that doesn't sound right : ##v_F < v_0## by reason. I'd have to rethink my solution. Many thanks.
Don't forget that "what goes up must come down". What is the maximum height with air resistance?

kuruman said:
Part (a) is good.
In (b) what does "either way" mean? Are you saying that, if thrown with the same initial velocity, the ball will rise to the same height regardless of whether there is resistance or not?

No, "either way" meaning that the ball travels the same distance on its way up as it does on its way down. Of course the distance it travels will depend on whether there is air resistance or not - with air resistance, the ball will reach a lower height.

Likes kuruman
kuruman said:
Don't forget that "what goes up must come down". What is the maximum height with air resistance?
With air resistance, the maximum height ##H = \frac{v_0^2}{\frac{2\times 11g}{10}} = \frac{5v_0^2}{11g}##.

That is correct. Now you need to find how long it takes to go back down that distance.

Equal upwards and downwards distances, different total accelerations each way, result in dissimilar velocities at ground level, as well as distinct flying times.

kuruman said:
That is correct. Now you need to find how long it takes to go back down that distance.

Sorry for coming in late. I'd like to do the calculations again where all results above will be summarised.

drag.png
Attempt :
(1) Without air resistance, the total time of flight is given by ##T = \frac{2v_0}{g}##.

(2) With air resistance, the acceleration on the way up is ##a_{\text{U}}= g_a+g = \frac{g}{10}+g = \frac{11g}{10}## (acting down) while on the way down ##a_{\text D} = g- \frac{g}{10} = \frac{9g}{10}## also acting down.

(a) The time of flight on the way up (with air resistance): ##T'_U = \frac{v_0}{11g/10} = \frac{10}{11}\frac{v_0}{g}##.
The height scaled on the way up : ##H = \frac{v_0^2}{2\times \frac{11g}{10}} = \frac{5v_0^2}{11g}## .

(b) Travelling this height down, the time taken by the ball with air resistance satisfies ##H = \frac{1}{2}\times \frac{9g}{10} {T'_{d}}^2## from where we get ##T'_d = \frac{10}{\sqrt {99}} \frac{v_0}{g}## after some algebra.

Hence, the total time of flight ##T' = \frac{10}{\sqrt{11}}\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{11}} + \frac{1}{3} \right) \frac{v_0}{g} \approx \boxed{1.91 \frac{v_0}{g}} < T##. Hence, with air resistance, the ball goes up and comes down sooner, but it also travels a less height.

Please let me know if my attempt is correct. I have ommited some algebra in between.

Likes Lnewqban
So far so good. Everything agrees with what I have.

1. What is vertical flight with air resistance?

Vertical flight with air resistance is the movement of an object upwards against the force of gravity, while also experiencing resistance from the air around it. This can occur with various types of aircraft, such as helicopters or rockets, and requires a balance between thrust and drag to maintain altitude.

2. How does air resistance affect vertical flight?

Air resistance, also known as drag, creates a force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. In vertical flight, this force acts in the opposite direction to the object's movement, making it more difficult to maintain altitude. The greater the air resistance, the more thrust is needed to counteract it.

3. What factors influence air resistance in vertical flight?

The amount of air resistance experienced in vertical flight depends on several factors, including the shape and size of the object, the speed at which it is moving, and the density and viscosity of the air. The angle of the object's flight path can also affect the amount of air resistance.

4. How is air resistance calculated in vertical flight?

Air resistance is calculated using the drag equation, which takes into account the object's velocity, the density of the air, the object's cross-sectional area, and its drag coefficient. This equation allows scientists and engineers to determine the amount of drag an object will experience at a given speed and altitude.

5. How do scientists and engineers account for air resistance in vertical flight?

To account for air resistance in vertical flight, scientists and engineers use aerodynamic principles and design techniques to minimize drag and optimize the aircraft's performance. This can include using streamlined shapes, reducing the aircraft's weight, and adjusting the angle of the wings or rotors to minimize drag and maximize lift.