Very basic noob question about integers

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of negative numbers and the use of absolute value function in determining the maximum value between a negative and positive number. It is clarified that -x is not always a negative number, as it depends on the value of x. The use of piecewise notation for the absolute value function is also mentioned.
fission
hi all so this is a very basic question i think and i feel very bad for tumbling here but still i need to clear this, so from childhood i was taught that the negative numbers are less than positive but now when i am studying limits and functions i came across absolute function and it said |-x| = max{-x,x}. alright seems legit but now the book says that max of the two is -x and that's why function came out positive due to double minus sign, so i want to ask how is -x greater than x or i am doing something wrong here? thanks for ur help

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If x=-5, then -x=-(-5)=5 is larger than x=-5.

If x is negative, -x is larger than x, otherwise it is not.

It's just something that tricks your brain until you think about it for a second.

Q: Is ## -x ## is a negative number?
A: Not necessarily.

You don't know what ##x## is. If ## x = -3 ## then ## -x =-(-3) = 3 ## which is positive.

I prefer to have the absolute value function written piecewise:

Absolute-Value-as-Piecewise-Function2.png

Likes fission
duh! lol that was really a simple one xD but thanks everyone for giving a good explanation :)

1. What are integers?

Integers are whole numbers that can be positive, negative, or zero. They do not have decimal points or fractions.

2. How are integers different from real numbers?

Integers are a subset of real numbers. Real numbers include all numbers on the number line, including integers, fractions, and decimals.

3. Are all negative numbers integers?

Yes, all negative numbers are integers because they are whole numbers and do not have decimal points or fractions.

4. Can integers be used in everyday life?

Yes, integers are used in everyday life in many ways. For example, they can be used for counting, measuring temperature, and keeping score in games.

5. What is the difference between an integer and a whole number?

A whole number is a non-negative integer, meaning it can only be 0 or a positive integer. Integers can be negative, zero, or positive.