Very Basic Physics that I'm struggling on

In summary, in an experiment to find the temperature of a Bunsen flame, a 0.2kg brass mass is heated in the flame and then placed in a beaker containing 0.2 kg of water. The temperature of the water rises from 20C to 80C, resulting in a rise in temperature of 60C. The heat energy gained by the water is 50400J. Assuming the temperature of the mass to be T, the fall in temperature of the mass is -681C and the heat lost by the mass is also 50400J. Therefore, the temperature of the mass, T, is equal to the final temperature of the water, 80C.
aguycalledwil
Very Basic Physics...that I'm struggling on...

Homework Statement

In an experiment to find the temperature of a Bunsen flame, a 0.2kg brass mass is heated in the flame. The hot mass is then placed in a beaker containing 0.2 kg of water. The temperature of the water rises from 20C to 80C.
a)what is the rise in temperature of the water?
b)what is the heat energy gained by the water?
c)assuming the temperature of the mass to be T, what is the fall in temperature of the mass?
d)what is the heat lost by the mass?
e)assuming that the heat lost by the mass is the same as the heat gained by the water, find the temperature, T.

Homework Equations

H=m*c*rise in temperature

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have the first four. I did...
a) 80C-20C = 60C
b) H=0.2*4200*60 = 50400J
c) H/mc=change in temp. therefore, -50400/0.2*370=change in temp. therefore, the change in temp. is -681C
d) I just assumed that the the heat lost by the mass is the same as the heat gained by the water, which is 50400J.
e) This one has me completely stuck...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

aguycalledwil said:
In an experiment to find the temperature of a Bunsen flame, a 0.2kg brass mass is heated in the flame. The hot mass is then placed in a beaker containing 0.2 kg of water. The temperature of the water rises from 20C to 80C.
a)what is the rise in temperature of the water?
b)what is the heat energy gained by the water?
c)assuming the temperature of the mass to be T, what is the fall in temperature of the mass?
d)what is the heat lost by the mass?
e)assuming that the heat lost by the mass is the same as the heat gained by the water, find the temperature, T.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have the first four. I did...
a) 80C-20C = 60C
b) H=0.2*4200*60 = 50400J
c) H/mc=change in temp. therefore, -50400/0.2*370=change in temp. therefore, the change in temp. is -681C
d) I just assumed that the the heat lost by the mass is the same as the heat gained by the water, which is 50400J.
e) This one has me completely stuck...

you already computed the temperature loss of the brass. The brass ends up at the same temperature of the water after losing 681 degrees

I would first like to commend you on your effort in solving the problem and finding the correct answers for parts a-d. However, I would like to point out a few things that may help you understand the concept better.

For part c, the change in temperature of the mass should be a negative value since it is losing heat and therefore, its temperature will decrease. So, the correct answer would be -681C.

For part d, it is true that the heat lost by the mass is the same as the heat gained by the water. However, in order to find the heat lost by the mass, we need to use the formula H=m*c*change in temperature. In this case, the mass is losing heat, so its change in temperature would be negative. Therefore, the heat lost by the mass can be calculated as -0.2*370*(-681) = 50400J, which is the same as the heat gained by the water.

For part e, we can use the fact that the heat lost by the mass is equal to the heat gained by the water. So, we can set up the equation -0.2*370*(T-20) = 50400J, where T is the temperature of the mass. Solving for T, we get T = 20 + 50400/(0.2*370) = 20 + 681C = 701C. This would be the temperature of the mass after it has lost heat to the water.

Overall, it seems like you have a good understanding of the basic physics concepts involved in this problem. Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to ask for help if you are struggling with any other concepts.

Related to Very Basic Physics that I'm struggling on

1. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity also takes into account the direction of the object's motion.

2. How does friction affect motion?

Friction is a force that resists motion between two surfaces. It can either slow down or stop the motion of an object.

3. What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

4. How does acceleration relate to force?

Acceleration is directly proportional to the net force acting on an object. This means that the greater the net force, the greater the acceleration of the object.

5. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, but weight can change depending on the strength of gravity.