Very basic question about SR830 lock-in

• Thread starter Amplifierprobs
  • Start date
In summary, the author is attempting to run an experiment using a SR830 lock-in amplifier but does not know much about electrics in general. They need help from the manual to understand how to do the experiment correctly. They have successfully used a separate function generator to drive the speaker and are running the experiment as expected.
Amplifierprobs
Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this.

I'm currently attempting to run an experiment using a SR830 lock-in amplifier but don't know much about it or electrics in general as this area is very new to me.

I'm using the in built oscillator to drive a speaker which in turn oscillates a magnet/magnetic field inside a pick up coil. I am trying to use the lock into read the output voltage/current of the coil (and find the peak amplitude) by connecting both ends to the A/I input using a BNC. Is this possible/correct? Or am I misundersanding the lock in? How should I go about doing this?

I have attempted to get help from the manual without success, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
1)Stanford Research has useful information in the website, download the user 's manual.

2)NEVER connect a speaker to the built- in oscillator (it hasn't been designed to drive such a load), you MUST use a buffer amplifier. Again, the user's manual will give you the limits of every input and output

Likes Amplifierprobs and berkeman
You probably need -as Gordanius has already pointed out- some sort of buffer amplifier to drive the speaker; the oscillator output of the SR830 is a voltage output and can't really drive difficult loads. That said, since you are using a lock-in you only need a tiny signal so you do not need lots of current; i.e .do NOT use a power amplifier since you could easily blow up the inputs of the SR830. Personally, I would use a separate function generator (something that can source a few tens of mA) both to drive the speaker and as a reference for the lock in (i.e. I would not use the built in oscillator at all).

Also, it almost sounds like you are using both inputs of the SR830 which is only needed if you are doing a differential measurement; you should be able to do this measurement single-ended (i.e. just using one input). Hence, you need a BNC cable from the DUT (the speaker in this case) to the input. Just keep an eye on the polarity (i,e, where your ground is).

Likes Amplifierprobs and berkeman
Thank you both for your replies, they've been very helpful
It turns out I had forgotten to strip the ends of the coil wires properly, it's always the simple things!
I was also able to source a separate function generator up to the task of driving the speaker and using your set up advice, my experiment is currently running as expected.
Thanks again for all your help!

Likes berkeman

1. What is the purpose of a lock-in amplifier, specifically the SR830 model?

A lock-in amplifier, such as the SR830 model, is a highly sensitive instrument used for measuring and analyzing low-level signals in noisy environments. It is commonly used in scientific research, particularly in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology.

2. How does the SR830 lock-in amplifier work?

The SR830 lock-in amplifier uses a technique called phase-sensitive detection in order to extract a signal of interest from a noisy background. This is achieved by modulating the signal with a known frequency and then using a reference signal to demodulate and filter out any noise.

3. What are the main features of the SR830 lock-in amplifier?

The SR830 lock-in amplifier has a wide frequency range of up to 102 kHz, high sensitivity and dynamic reserve, multiple input and output options, and a user-friendly interface. It also has the ability to perform various measurements and calculations, such as phase and magnitude, time constant, and harmonic analysis.

4. How do I set up and operate the SR830 lock-in amplifier?

The SR830 lock-in amplifier comes with a user manual that provides step-by-step instructions on how to set it up and operate it. It is important to carefully follow the instructions and make sure all connections are secure and proper settings are selected for the specific experiment or measurement being performed.

5. What are some common troubleshooting tips for the SR830 lock-in amplifier?

If the lock-in amplifier is not functioning properly, it is important to first check all connections and make sure they are secure. It is also helpful to check the input signal and make sure it is within the recommended range for the instrument. If the issue persists, consulting the user manual or contacting the manufacturer's technical support team may be necessary.